Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on semi-automatics

Options
  • 01-06-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Just looking for some advice with regards to buying a semi-automatic. Despite being a seasoned hunter, Ive been brought hunting since I was knee height and started shooting at 17, 28 now, I know very little about guns (makes, prices, models). I've been shooting with a sports-armi under and over, a nice gun that has never let me down, but the time has come for a change. I've decided to go for a semi-automatic and I reckon the most important thing I'm looking for apart from a gun that suits me is a gun that wont stick. I'm willing to pay in the region of €1500-€1800 but I want something that will take the abuse of rough shooting for pheasants and the withstand heavy wettings while duck shooting and still not give problems. Now obviously I realise that to avoid sticking these guns will need good cleaning and maintenance but I'm just wondering has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any particular type/model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

You might enjoy this then...
    http://www.svmag.com/test_baikal.wmv :eek:

Now personaly I think he is nuts!!
    He pretty much breaks every saftey rule in the book!!

I have a Remingon 11-87 SPS 3.5 ...
    Great all round gun, being able to fire 2 3/4', 3' and 3.5' shell is very handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Good man,

Another convert to the virtues of the semi !
    As you are willing to pay €1500+ you are getting into the area of quality 'non-stick' guns.
    People who have trouble with guns failing to eject spent shells invariably are using an inferior quality brand, cheaper purchase initially but will break your heart in the long run.
    In my opinion the only brands to consider are Beretta, Benneli and Remington.
    Personally I love the Benelli M1 Super 90 I have probably close on 200,000 shells through her and have absolutely no complaints.
    Beretta have the Extreme model semi capable of firing any shot load from 24g trap shells up to 3.5inch magnums. This model comes in a variety of finishes, cammo, synthetic and traditional, truly a great all rounder gun.

The cheaper models will give you serious trouble if you are firing anything less than 32g loads, they just dont like them so stay with your quality models.

Check posts by Newby 204 on this forum as he is selling a Beretta 391 semi.

PM me if you want to try out the Benelli of Beretta (Note; I am a qualified instructor and this is all legally sound)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I have had two semi-autos in the past
    frist one was a Remi 11-87 Very good gun never gave me any probs untill some BAS***D broke into my home and stole it!! along with a Brno .243!!
    They just hacked the whole safe from the wall and brought the lot!!
    anyway..
    Have a Winchester SuperX3 now good gun its fully synthetic so does not rust great for duck shooting:) also holds 10 rds + 1 in the pipe:D :D

TomBeckett wrote:
    Have a Winchester SuperX3 now good gun its fully synthetic so does not rust great for duck shooting:) also holds 10 rds + 1 in the pipe:D :D

Assume you only have 3 rounds in it when you are duck shooting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you can only have 2 in a mag yes(game) do ye put one in the chamber take out the mag and put 1 in the mag again???

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote:
    Assume you only have 3 rounds in it when you are duck shooting ;)
    Oh of course i do!! he he he:D :D :rolleyes:

to be honest there is not much point in having her fully primed because if your not after droping them by the 2nd shot well there gone out of range so theres no point in emptying the full mag at em

maglite wrote:
    you can only have 2 in a mag yes(game) do ye put one in the chamber take out the mag and put 1 in the mag again???

You can tell I don't shoot game, :o normally only takes one 3.5inch AAA to stop Mr. Fox!! :D

if is a lovely bit of law cop walkig down a narrow boreen sees man with semi auto solutes, walks on, comes back sorry sir i noticed you have a large clip on that how many rounds are in it?

almost like a comic strip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I've heard of it happening. And it's not just a Garda that can check, a wildlife ranger can under the Wildlife Act.

i sure i has and does it is just a bit comical

• Advertisement

maglite wrote:
    if is a lovely bit of law cop walkig down a narrow boreen sees man with semi auto solutes, walks on, comes back sorry sir i noticed you have a large clip on that how many rounds are in it?

almost like a comic strip

Awnser... Why how kind of you to notice Constable Tis a AK-47 and she has a 100rd Drum mag of 7.62x39 armour piecring rds in her " Them ducks are going to find it hard going today":D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Paimei,
    I do not own any, but, we live in a wet climate and you also mentioned waterfowl, you might want to read this article. Bruce is a real straight shooter. ;)
    http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/9-Nov-05.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Chopperdog,
    The virtues of the semi !
    A fellow Traveler. :)

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnicalTracts/GasSemi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

If any of you good folk come across a Browning Auto 5 Light 20 on your travels, please let me know. I've been looking for one for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Hey PAIMEI i have what your looking for!!!!!

If you can watch the whole thing do, if not well you will get the idea from the first minute or two,

pointless overkill me thinks but hey it is COOL

WATCH IT!!!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5539085389398547210&q=Beretta

Oh yea PAIMEI, dont know if you got my PM, im the one selling the Beretta AL391 Syn as chopperdog said. If your interested let me know, i was offered what i payed for it(€1000) today.(thursday) its nearly 1.00am

Had it priced by a gunsmith by the way and function checked, in case you think im dodgy your welcome to have it independently checked!!!!

Im shoppin round for stuff so havnt taken it yet shop doesnt quite have what i want but ill settle at this stage. Well if your interested let me know ill tell you all you want to know about it!!! I can pm you or post the pics of my gun if you want(pic below is archive pic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Cant go wrong with the Remmys ,either 1100 or the new 11/87.The 1100s are abit cheaper and if you keep them CLEAN and well lubed where needed,and their gas O ring in order.They will work fine.
    If you want an exellent garbage shotgun load eater,truck jack handle type auto.The Browning Auto 5 "humpback"is still king.Old[100 year design by John Browning] long stroke recoil,and now a classic like all Brownings designs,depending on its condition a cheapish and sleeping investment in a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ABC

PAIMEI wrote:
    Just looking for some advice with regards to buying a semi-automatic. Despite being a seasoned hunter, Ive been brought hunting since I was knee height and started shooting at 17, 28 now, I know very little about guns (makes, prices, models). I've been shooting with a sports-armi under and over, a nice gun that has never let me down, but the time has come for a change. I've decided to go for a semi-automatic and I reckon the most important thing I'm looking for apart from a gun that suits me is a gun that wont stick. I'm willing to pay in the region of €1500-€1800 but I want something that will take the abuse of rough shooting for pheasants and the withstand heavy wettings while duck shooting and still not give problems. Now obviously I realise that to avoid sticking these guns will need good cleaning and maintenance but I'm just wondering has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any particular type/model.

Hello,

Do not have much experience using semi autos. If you do not want/need
    to shoot 3.5 inch cartridges then the selection available is much bigger.

The Benelli operating system gives more recoil than the gas feedback used
    by most others but is supposed to be ultimately more reliable. That's not
    to say that gas feedback is not reliable though.

I own a Bailal MP-153 myself. Have read alot a good reviews about this
    gun, (some not so good on this board). I have heard of few owners
    complaining.
    Remington are importing and selling the MP-153 in the US under the name
    of Spartan SPR-453. This gun is exactly the same as the MP-153.

http://www.remington.com/Products/Firearms/Shotguns/SPR%5Fmodels/

There are forums at shotgun world that might be worth a read:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

An Italian club put the MP-153 through it paces by shooting 50,000 rounds
    in five (I think) days.

The MP-153 is available (according to the owner) from Lough View guns
    N.I. for 400 sterling. You can get a 'visitors' licence for collecting the gun.
    With all that money you have you can buy two, go on the piss, and
    look like Jessi James.:D

Advertisement