Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regarding discussion pre-release media

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

John2 wrote:
    No, of course not, don't be so pedantic. I had a problem with that thread because it was blatently discussing an album that (apart from a handful of individuals worldwide) isn't legally available. If an album is out or hard to find, of course it's impossible to tell if you obtained it legally or not but in this case it's clear that no one will have obtained the album legally. I don't care what they allow on other forums on boards.ie as it's only Alt/Indie I'm responsible for.

I'm just doing what I think is best for the forum. I don't think it is healthy for a music forum to be concentrating on material that is illegally obtained. The album will still be worth discussing next month when it comes out. I would prefer to support all the artists that I like to listen to legally and I would like to see the same for the Alt/Indie forum. Yes the discussion of illegally obtained albums is not a crime in itself but it fosters bad intentions. I'm not trying to be a moral guardian but illegal downloading has its place and it's not on boards.ie.
    \

I have to say i think that this i s a disgrace. So basically you can't discuss any music until downloaded in any forum thatyou are a mod of. You're arguing the pointthat you believe that anyone with a copyof the album obtained it illegaly, you can't know this. The fact that you say you're doing whats best for the forum by restricting views that you have a problem with is a joke. That is not moderation. While i do not support illegal downloading to prohibit comment on future releases is laughable. It's like saying reading a newspaper promotes 'insert whatever crime you readabout here' For the record I've been on this site a while and this is the most juvenile piece of moderation i've witnessed.

Cant edit the above post, first sentence should read :

I have to say i think that this i s a disgrace. So basically you can't discuss any music until released in any forum that you [John2]are a mod of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with digesting things down into points for clarity.
    Clarity? This is Boards.ie we are talking about :p

Not really following exactly the objections here, but I think if someone said

"I've heard the new unrelease U2 album and it's really good"

it would be fine, but saying

"I've heard the new unreleased U2 album, its really good here is how to get it"

would probably be putting Boards.ie in a lot of legal trouble.

But simply admiting on Boards.ie that you have done this shouldn't be.

I mean people imply they have committed a crime on Boards.ie all the time. How does everyone thing people get the latest Lost episodes, or know what taking cocaine is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't think it's laughable at all and if you think it's juvenile well I think that's more of a reflection on you. Obviously I don't know if you've obtained the album legally or not but when the threads are called "New Album Leaked" and every second poster is talking about how they just downloaded an unreleased album, it doesn't take a genius to work it out. I'm not banning discussion of forthcoming albums outright, that's just stupid. I'm not banning the discussion of albums by people who have a promo copy (but bearing in mind that across Ireland, nevermind just boards users, that only a handful at most will have access to a promo copy legally). Here's what I posted in the mods forum:
    John2 wrote:
    That's what I was doing, I had stepped into a thread about the same album in Alt/Indie and reminded posters that discussion of leaked material wasn't allowed. I left the thread open to talk about leakages in general (as the thread was started to talk about how Radiohead seem to be most unfortunate in terms of leakages). I have no problem with a thread on a forthcoming album for people to post release dates, new news, links to official samples and reviews.

Tell me where am I prohibiting comment on future releases? Not talking about ill gotten gains is not the same as not talking about an upcoming album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Right, I've finally got a reply from the IRMA:
    Dear Kenneth

Apologies for the delay in replying.

The only legal action we have been taking against individuals was as a result of these individuals uploading music on P2P services.

If someone admits to downloading illegally, we would still need to get evidence for it to stand in Court.

However, if there is illegal music posted on an Irish website, it is our job to have the music taken down. If you know of such music, I would very much appreciate if you could let us know.

Best regards,

Gaelle Corley
    IRMA

This would seem to indicate that boards.ie is safe in the event of a user admitting they downloaded something illegally.

So, prodivided there's no links, and nobody's asking about where to download things, or the thread doesn't end up being too problematic (as the Tool thread was) then go ahead and post about your 'ill gotten gains' as John2 put it.

• Advertisement

Right, that settles that. I'm going to update the charter appropriately so. I'm not happy about it but once boards is safe I can live with it.

John2 wrote:
    Right, that settles that. I'm going to update the charter appropriately so. I'm not happy about it but once boards is safe I can live with it.

Unlock the original thread as well. And for someone with their finger on the pulse and wanting to keep boards out of trouble you may want to read the thread on starting a pirate radio station. Or maybe you don't feel too strongly about that as you do about possible illegal downloaders. joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

So, prodivided there's no links, and nobody's asking about where to download things, or the thread doesn't end up being too problematic (as the Tool thread was) then go ahead and post about your 'ill gotten gains' as John2 put it.

Just to clarify, you're able to discuss the actual music, but with no mention of such terms as "torrent" and "download"?

I wouldn't want to actually read about people downloading illegally.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, here is my decision. Its pretty straightforward and since its my ass in the dock I get to make it :):)

I have always run boards.ie with a "YOU OWN YOUR OWN WORDS" policy. Many of you who have been here for some time will remember me wanging on about that phrase before.

Sooooo... if you come along and say "I want to know where to download XYZ illegally" you should get smacked, as currently happens.

If you come along and say "I downloaded XYZ from <torrent link>" similarly you should be smacked for making us part of the process.

If however you say "I downloaded XYZ illegally and it rocks!". Then you are dumb and when the cops come looking for your IP addresses with a disclosure order, we will be more then happy to assist them. We do not and have never offered immunity or anonimity here. Just the same way as if someone admitted murder on the PI forums or threatened a terrorist attack somewhere else.
    (actually if someone did that I'd bring it to the cops attention as I did before with a paedo trying to recruit young boys through Boards. With music I'd ignore it until they came to us with the proper disclosure docs... but I digress).

You own your own words and if you are dumb enough to admit you've done something illegal, I hope you get everything you deserve and I wont stand in the way of the law for you.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I download food to my pc using foodtorrent 3.2

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote:
    Unlock the original thread as well. And for someone with their finger on the pulse and wanting to keep boards out of trouble you may want to read the thread on starting a pirate radio station. Or maybe you don't feel too strongly about that as you do about possible illegal downloaders. joke

Start a new thread if you want it, that thread is gone well off topic. As for the pirate radio thread, that's a two year old thread on a forum I don't moderate so I don't see what that has to do with me. If you spent more time reading and less time working on your attitude you might have spotted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Right, I've finally got a reply from the IRMA:

This would seem to indicate that boards.ie is safe in the event of a user admitting they downloaded something illegally.

Just wondering,

What did you ask IRMA in your original email?

Advertisement