Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband and wireless router?

• 01-06-2006 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking about getting NTL broadband for my new apartment. I would like to be able to access the internet lots of parts of my aparment.

I asked the guys in NTL about getting a wireless router with it, and was told they do not supply routers and that I could fit one if I like, but its up to me.

Also I'd like to be able to share the connection between multpile machines.

Anybody have any experience doing this?
    What equipment would you recommend?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭markpb

Keep ringing and asking if they'll supply it. Tell them you're not interested without wireless cause you have laptops or because the computer is no-where near the NTL box.

They do do it sometimes. I got a free wireless AP last month on the 24.99 package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea it's hit and miss if you get a wireless router or not. Think it helps to have PC as far away from cable point as possible. If you don't get one from them I recommend linksys wrt54G. It's the dog's bollix when it comes to routers imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

cool thanks..I'll try them again..

the guy on the phone told me they wouldn't supply or support routers as there are compatibility issues with their service..is this true?

I kind of assumed that all i needed was a standard wireless router and plug it in to the cable modem.

Well they def supply routers as I know someone who got a netgear one when they installed his service.

They probably don't provide support for wireless routers that you supply youself. Which is fair enough, it's not their equipment so if it's not working it's not up to them to fix.

yeah they said they do not supply routers due to compatibility problems

• Advertisement

Bollix. Simple as that really.
    Typical response from a tech support monkey who hasn't a clue what he's talking about. Routers work fine with NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭markpb

Rubbish. Tell them you know several people who were given wireless routers by NTL. Mine was installed less than a month ago and not only did they supply it, but they configured the W/R and the laptop before they left.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There's no doubt that they supply them but there is no guarantee whatsover that you will get one - there is no obligation on them to do so as they do not list one as being part of the offer on the website so as other posters have said it is very much hit and miss - I know two people who got ntl bb lately and did not manage to get one (One was told by the installer that he had run out of his supply and to ring NTL but of course the answer there was we dont supply them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Got NTL broadband installed on Tuesday. Was shopping around looking for a router cos they told us one wouldn't be supplied.

Came home on Tuesday to find a brand new gorgeous NETGEAR wireless router in the sitting room.

Now, in all fairness, my flatmate is hot and I have my suspicions that that may have swung the deal.

So maybe show a bit of leg when they arrive to install.... ;)

Thanks everybody,

I rang ntl again..this time I got offered a much better deal !! (i was ordering tv as well)..and I got a wireless router thrown in..

thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement