Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut up about the SSIA!!

Options
  • 01-06-2006 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

I will start by congratulating everyone who took up the option of the SSIA - congratulations.

But I have never been so fcuking sick of one thing in my life.. everyone is going on about it, every bit of advertising refers to it, all news reports run something to do with it.

Yes, great scheme. But what of us who weren't able to avail of it at the time. Now we've to put up with a full year of having it shoved in our face..

Bah.

Anyone got a lend of a fiver? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

connundrum wrote:

Anyone got a lend of a fiver? :o

Yup, and guess what? It only cost me €3
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

hahahahaha only 3 yo yos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

The high student rate here must really be peeved at this as they couldn't do it. The bit I love is that not just do we have the extra cash but the spare €255 a month too and next year my wife will have finished hers too.

There was guys in work that when it came out I said to them they will be kicking themselves if they don't do it. Guess who is kicking themselves?

The only reason you are sick is becasue you know of all the people listening to the ads you are one of the people who can't take them up.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The only reason you are sick is becasue you know of all the people listening to the ads you are one of the people who can't take them up.;)

Wasn't that what I said in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I cashed in my ssia because I needed the dough but I'm not piss$D at all and I agree, I'm fed up with SSIA media frenzy, the average pay out is about 13,000 yo yo's, hardly going to set the world on fire with that- most likely pay off debts to get clear to make room for more debts - we're going to Florida next year with kids with my wife's ssia, a good spend!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

connundrum wrote:
    Wasn't that what I said in the first place?
    Yeap I was rubbing it in your face get ready for the year of it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

The reason there is so much about the SSIA in newspapers,TV,radio etc. is because 1 in 4 people are supposed to have one. That audience is too high to ignore.

Personally, when I first saw articles in the newspaper on the SSIA, I thought, "oh great I have an SSIA, I better read this" but now it is annoying because it is all the same information over and over again. There is only so much you can talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have a maximum amount SSIA and I already know what I'm doing with it so I'm getting sick of it too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I wonder is there any chance that the government will do another scheme once this one has finished. I hope that they do.

It a great means to fuel an economy every five years. I was 17 at the time, student with no money, so fair play to those who where able to save the max. each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Yes guys, a great scheme, lets have some more please.
    I'm a bit sick of all the fuss and pr as well. So how is evryone gonna spend their 20 odd grand..........only thing is the scheme only gave us about 4 grand of it...the rest was/is our own money.
    So maybe the question should be how are we gonna spend our newly acquired four grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hate you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

All this talk of a guranteed 25% return

I made much more than than on rabobank shares
    I even bought Elan at 3.20 and sold at 11.40. Could have held out for more

Is 25% realy that great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

When you think about it, it could have a bad effect overall for the ordinary Joe because prices will increase on pretty much everything i reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

They won't run another scheme. The purpose of the SSIA scheme was to slow down inflation... I mean to get people saving. The Minister for Finance has said that if the scheme worked they don't need another one as people have learned the value of saving and if it didn't work then there is no reason to think a new one would.

I have an SSIA and guess what? €4 of every €5 in it was mine anyway. It's not the lotto but the way the media and the banks are going on about this "windfall" you'd think it was. There may be some idiots who buy into their nonsense but I sure as hell don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

If I have to listen to another hammer or circular saw I'm going to go postal. It's like extension land round here this week. Small scale builders must be delighted with the SSIA money. Nice time to bump up the prices a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

micmclo wrote:

Is 25% realy that great?
    For a risk-free investment, yes 25% return is fantastic. Rabobank and Elan have a comparatively high degree of risk associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

micmclo wrote:

Is 25% realy that great?

Fair play to you for making a few quid on Elan, but as a financially-savvy person, you should know better than to belittle a guaranteed 25% return.

What of the poor buggers who bought Elan for €20 in Feb 2005, only to see their shares slump to €2.50 or so by May of that year... they lost over 85% of their money if they sold up.

I bet they'd have been perfectly happy with a 25% return!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

kluivert wrote:
    I wonder is there any chance that the government will do another scheme once this one has finished. I hope that they do.

QUOTE]
    Aren't they giving people money for putting it into a pension fund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meh wrote:
    For a risk-free investment, yes 25% return is fantastic. Rabobank and Elan have a comparatively high degree of risk associated with them.

Fair point! I'd never do it again.
    Elan scared the life out of me many times

Sold out of everthing in Feburary before this short downturn over the last few weeks.

Fair play to anyone who subscribed. I didn't as I was only a student at the time.

I went to the Money Show in the RDS recently. It was very badly attended too. All the stands were asking me to part with my SSIA money.
    I kind of felt like I was the only fool in Ireland not to have one.
    I realy wish there was less press coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Shares are a disaster - I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft .........you done well with Elan, I was going to do the same but didn't bother in the end but as an overall investment they're not far off betting on the horses - experts will go on about how good they are etc etc but they hide behind statistics that show over a 20 year period they'll give a good return....lets face it over 20 years anything will give a good return.....

my only punt with shares is to buy very very cheap - pennies and hold onto to them in the hope the company get it right - other than that - leave well alone!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The message that the banks and government should be trying to get across is that, as has been pointed out here, its basically *your* money that *you* didnt spend for the last 5 years.
    Dont stop saving now just becuase you are not getting a "free" 25% bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is 75% YOUR money- the govt 'gives' back a further 25% which no doubt we have all paid for ten times over in stealth and hidden taxes.

This 25% has certainly been a heavy price to pay for putting up with such an imcompetent government for so long imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

This is 75% YOUR money- the govt 'gives' back a further 25% which no doubt we have all paid for ten times over in stealth and hidden taxes.

Makes sense, spend it on goods and 21% goes into VAT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

kluivert wrote:

It a great means to fuel an economy every five years. I was 17 at the time, student with no money, so fair play to those who where able to save the max. each month.

From what I can see most of the people I know who have SSIAs are the lucky bastards who Daddy suibsidises ad lib and for whom Mummy never expected "keep" from at home. They are the same folks for whom Mumsy and Pater are either guaranteeing or contributing to their mortgage. No bloody wonder they could afford to save 254 a month. I was working in a 15k a year job at the time, with a net income of 1100 a month, of which 320 a month went on rent, 200 went on a car loan, 100 on insurance, so precious little to save away thanks very much Bertie.

The constant talk is excruciating because so many people have made money so easily. I know a lot of people who really needed help who ended up cashing in their SSIAs because they couldn't afford it. Why give away so much money to those who don't need it when there are clearly many who do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Almost 2/3rds of SSIA account holders won't be getting their cash until April 2007 due to the last minute rush to signup for what's basically Money for Nothing (where are my free chicks though? :D ) This will drag on and on and on and on... You get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

shoegirl wrote:
    From what I can see most of the people I know who have SSIAs are the lucky bastards who Daddy suibsidises ad lib and for whom Mummy never expected "keep" from at home. They are the same folks for whom Mumsy and Pater are either guaranteeing or contributing to their mortgage. No bloody wonder they could afford to save 254 a month. I was working in a 15k a year job at the time, with a net income of 1100 a month, of which 320 a month went on rent, 200 went on a car loan, 100 on insurance, so precious little to save away thanks very much Bertie.

The constant talk is excruciating because so many people have made money so easily. I know a lot of people who really needed help who ended up cashing in their SSIAs because they couldn't afford it. Why give away so much money to those who don't need it when there are clearly many who do?

I think the SSIA scheme was the greatest transfer of wealth the rich ever. The rich, who could afford, it made easy money. The poor, who couldn't, gained nothing from the scheme. Time and time again this government has frivously spent money on schemes like this or bertie's makeup when our national infrastructure is a joke. The past 10 years of economic growth have given us an outstanding chance to really develop world class infrastructure, the envy of therest of the world, but it has been wasted. The povery gap has increased over this period with the rich cleaning up (or construction companies). Sorry for the rant but i'm really getting p!ssed off with this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'To encourage saving' ... my barney.
    If you look at the breakdown of 'savers' a large majority of them are on the highest contribution. These people were in a position to save anyway. It was just the lure of the high return got them off their bums to do it.

The people who are on such a tight budget that committing to save even 20 euro was too much of a stretch - the ones that needed to start saving, are now the ones who will be paying the fat cat 'bonus' through their tax.

The only fair way an SSIA scheme should have run was limited to people below a certain income level, otherwise it's just robbing from the poor to feed the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its true. It was extremely biased to those with money to spare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

haven't got an SSIA myself (couldnt afford it at the time) my girlfriend could barely afford hers but got one anyway, since my financial situations been better i've been putting the max into hers so i kinda got in by the back door so to speak

how and ever, i agree with the ones above, the SSIA is a terrible waster of money that just gives to the rich and doesnt help the ones on the breadline, it's not really suprising though seeing as how it's fianna failure in charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

micmclo wrote:

Is 25% realy that great?

Its great if its guaranteed and you know nothing at all about money or investing.

Have to agree with you though. Made 100% profit on Dell shares I bought at the end of 2001 and sold in 2004. And again several times on Schlumberger shares - made about 30-35% profit on these a few times and could have made even more. Equities are still the investment of choice if you are willing to really study the industries involved and take a risk.

Advertisement