Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

catalytic converter

Options
  • 01-06-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

A few questions

catalytic converter in a starlet
    1. what is it?
    2. what does it do?
    3. where is it?
    4. do i have one on a 1990 starlet (90-96model)?
    5. if i dont have one can i put one in?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Heres your answer to 1&2 of your questions!!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A Cat is a part of the exhaust that reduces exhaust emissions. You probably don't have one in a 90 Starlet. If it doesn't have one it would be a pointless exercise trying to retro fit one.

Some 1990 cars would have had them but they became a requirement in all petrol cars after 1992. If your car was first registered on or after 1/1/94 you'd need a working cat to pass the NCT emissions test. As your car is a 1990 reg it undergoes a much less strict emission test in the NCT and doesn't need a cat to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JoeySully wrote:
    A few questions

catalytic converter in a starlet
    1. what is it?
    2. what does it do?
    3. where is it?
    4. do i have one on a 1990 starlet (90-96model)?
    5. if i dont have one can i put one in?

thanks

I think if your Starlet has the 1.0 litre engine then more than likely it doesn't have a cat converter. I think the Starlet only got a cat when the 1.0 litre engine was dropped in favour of the 1.3 litre with fuel injection from the Corolla in or around 1992. Afaik the 1.0 litre was then dropped from the range as it was deemed to be too underpowered if it had a cat put on it.

If your car is a Jap import then I'm not sure if it does or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To answer question 5:

I would not bother even thinking of putting a cat on a 16 year old Starlet. Too expensive the work involved assuming it could be done, also if it could be done then your current performance from the car would be made worse with a cat fitted afaik.

It would probably be cheaper to just buy a 1992 onwards 1.3i Starlet that already has a cat installed.

Advertisement