Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camcorder query

Options
  • 01-06-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Quick question lads, im heading to new york in a week or so and im thinking of buying a camcorder there.
    Would i have any difficulties charging/downloading videos from it in ireland considering its american?
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

bought a jvc camcorder from states few months ago, no problem so far. Just be sure is auto volt. I think it safer to but the same model that you can find here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

dfcelt wrote:
    Quick question lads, im heading to new york in a week or so and im thinking of buying a camcorder there.
    Would i have any difficulties charging/downloading videos from it in ireland considering its american?
    Thanks for your help.

No No No, I did that two years and ended up with a samsung piece of crap that was supposed to be NTSC/PAL compatible. It will playback in colour here when set to PAL60 but you cannot transfer it to VHS. I will eventually get a video capture device for the pc and digitise the whole lot and throw it onto a DVD but that is more trouble and hassle. Get that puppy here and film the holidays in the USA.

I could not locate a spare battery here for under €100, I had one shipped from California to my Aunts place in New York and picked it up there last summer while on hols. $20 of an Amazon seller. You can make savings on Ipods there if that interests you. I'm getting one in London this weekend, I wonder how much is there to save off the Irish price. Also remeber that the USA is 110V while we are 220V anything you buy there that is 110V only will be instantly fried if plugged in here without a transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dfcelt wrote:
    Thanks for your help.

Bottom line is, do your research and avoid hysterical ranting.

Make sure it is dual voltage and supports PAL/NTSC. You should probably make sure it is digital also - then you can plug straight into the PC and do any conversion necessary there. Look for Firewire or i-link (what Sony calls firewire).

You also need to consider the warranty - what happens if something goes wrong this side of the Atlantic?

Advertisement