Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators all cold

• 01-06-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey everybody,
    Having problems with the GFCH in the house. Problems started after pump was making alot of noise, so I swapped it out for a new pump. Same problem now - boiler, pump, pipes roasting, but radiators including the pipes leading into them all cold. This has to be a circulation problem?
    Before you ask, the valves are all open to the rads and the system drains down/fills back up perfectly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Have you tried bleeding the Pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

awishawash wrote:
    Hey everybody,
    Having problems with the GFCH in the house. Problems started after pump was making alot of noise, so I swapped it out for a new pump. Same problem now - boiler, pump, pipes roasting, but radiators including the pipes leading into them all cold. This has to be a circulation problem?
    Before you ask, the valves are all open to the rads and the system drains down/fills back up perfectly.
    If it is gas, it is a fairly new system, so dirt or sludge should not be the problem.
    Have to ask - are you sure that you have opened the valves on either side of the pump are open ? Even if you have turned the handle or screw slot or whatever there is, the part inside may not be turning. Maybe take off the pump again and make sure that the valves are open. Did you bleed the pump at the screw at the front ? Also make sure that the pump is circulating by checking at that screw.
    You have vented the rads ? Checked for air ?
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

If the heating is zoned make sure the lever valves or motorized valves are operating, also check any room stats they maybe turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Really got stuck into this today and heat now working!. But still a little confused. Old pump was upside down so I swapped the new in the same way. That was the only thing I could think of being wrong so I changed it around. I then tried turning on the heating but the boiler didnt fire and the pump just sounded like there was water rushing through. What I noticed then was lots of rushing in the pipes and the rads tinkling all over the house. Then I went to the hotpress(cos I was a bit panicky that I was after messing the whole thing up like changed the flow or something) to check the pipework and noticed a big red handled valve going into the hot water cylinder and when I turned this on there was more rushing in the pipes(this has never been touched before so no idea if it would make a difference. Between all this messing I noticed the pressure gauge had gone down by around .6 bar so I topped the system up again once the watery noises had stopped. Turned on the heating and hey presto, boiler very quiet and rads all heating up.
    What happened? Did I actually change the flow of the system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

awishawash wrote:
    Really got stuck into this today and heat now working!. But still a little confused. Old pump was upside down so I swapped the new in the same way. That was the only thing I could think of being wrong so I changed it around. I then tried turning on the heating but the boiler didnt fire and the pump just sounded like there was water rushing through. What I noticed then was lots of rushing in the pipes and the rads tinkling all over the house. Then I went to the hotpress(cos I was a bit panicky that I was after messing the whole thing up like changed the flow or something) to check the pipework and noticed a big red handled valve going into the hot water cylinder and when I turned this on there was more rushing in the pipes(this has never been touched before so no idea if it would make a difference. Between all this messing I noticed the pressure gauge had gone down by around .6 bar so I topped the system up again once the watery noises had stopped. Turned on the heating and hey presto, boiler very quiet and rads all heating up.
    I presume that is the valve for topping up the system. When you took off the old pump you lost water from the system and let in some air. Now you have replaced the water.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

awishawash wrote:
    Just reading this now...I was over in my friends house the other night and they were telling me they were having the same problem as you were.
    Went into the hot press and opened the valve that tops up the heating system and it was topping up for at least 2-3mins. I'm guessing this has never been opened. The house is about 12yrs old.
    Now its fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

probably no help but mine is oil... anyway if i have my thermastat down to low or off i get everything heating except the radiators!!

Advertisement