Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clady Bridge

• 01-06-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I saw something in the local press about a year ago, where Donegal Co. Council and Strabane District Council, were looking at the possibility of putting traffic lights on Clady Bridge. As the bridge straddles the border, the implementation of traffic lights would have to be a joint venture. There seems to be a bit of work going on at the northern end today, and what looks like a pole for traffic lights being erected. Donegal Co. Council were also doing something at the other end on Tuesday. Maybe Damien Blake might have the inside track here. I hope it is traffic lights as that bridge is a nightmare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

smashey wrote:
    I saw something in the local press about a year ago, where Donegal Co. Council and Strabane District Council, were looking at the possibility of putting traffic lights on Clady Bridge. As the bridge straddles the border, the implementation of traffic lights would have to be a joint venture. There seems to be a bit of work going on at the northern end today, and what looks like a pole for traffic lights being erected. Donegal Co. Council were also doing something at the other end on Tuesday. Maybe Damien Blake might have the inside track here. I hope it is traffic lights as that bridge is a nightmare.

Smashey,

Sorry, don't know what's going on. I'll see what I can find out.

I'm very familiar with the bridge, and have been forced to reverse back halfway across a number of times on the way from Dublin to Ballybofey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Me too. I think everybody who uses it regularly would have reversed back at some stage. Have you ever watched a woman reversing into the wall at the Castlefinn side, while you can't do anything about it? Hilarious.

(Muffler & Nanook, I apologise for that bit of sexist ranting, but it is very true in this case.)

smashey wrote:
    Me too. I think everybody who uses it regularly would have reversed back at some stage. Have you ever watched a woman reversing into the wall at the Castlefinn side, while you can't do anything about it? Hilarious.

(Muffler & Nanook, I apologise for that bit of sexist ranting, but it is very true in this case.)

I haven't seen that, and couldn't in any way condone your sexist ranting!!!

Just spoke to a councillor in the Finn Valley area. He doesn't believe that traffic lights are going up there at the moment. There's a set budget for "small bridges" in the Finn Valley electoral area, and ten bridges on the list for works. The Clady Bridge falls very far down that list, and doesn't look like receiving this upgrade any time soon.

I find it a bit surprising. The Clady bridge is not only an important piece of infrastructure for a large number of people in the area, but is also very dangerous. Many of the other small bridges (eg Barney Logue's outside Ballybofey) are straight across, so you can see all the way across before starting to cross. This isn't true at Clady.

The councillor has said that it's possible that it is being fixed under central County Council funds, rather than electoral area funds, but it's unlikely.

Damien, you are very helpful.

I'm just going to get into the car now and go and take another look. I should be back within 20 minutes. (Might even try to get a photo.)

I just had another look, and it appears to be a plastic pipe with cables for something.

th_CladyBridge.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but there was a car behind me.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    I just had another look, and it appears to be a plastic pipe with cables for something.

th_CladyBridge.jpg

Could it be for a streetlight? It's unlikely they'd be putting up a single traffic light, and on the other side of the road.

It probably is. Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:

th_CladyBridge.jpg

First of all the car behind was probably driven by a woman ;)

I must have just missed you by a few minutes as I came over Clady bridge about 4:45.

Now that photo. Christ almighty smashey if thats going to be a traffic light then we will all need sun roofs in the car to look up at it :D Thats a street light.

The sooner you get married the better. It will settle your nerves and stop you halucinating:D

Oh to be contrary.

The plastic pipe might just be temporary, and the cables are always pulled through to a longer length than that actually required. (Much easier to cut than to pull through again). Stubby steetlight.

smashey wrote:
    steetlamp.
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Just reminding you of your youth. :D

Well well, I made a few enquiries this morning and it appears I was right all along.

They are working at the Castlefinn side this morning and it is traffic lights.

Woooooohoooooo.

Who's a clever smashey then?

smashey wrote:
    Well well, I made a few enquiries this morning and it appears I was right all along.

They are working at the Castlefinn side this morning and it is trafffic lights.

Woooooohoooooo.

Who's a clever smashey then?
    If that is proved right I do apopogise but it sure as hell proves one thing. Paddy20 is right about the level of interest that the local councillors have in the area they are supposed to serve.

Mr Blake sir, would you care to tell us if it was JJ or Paddy (favourite) you spoke to and maybe on their behalf explain why he was completely unaware of a substantial development like this. Maybe he might have the balls to come on here and explain it himself. Pathetic

Just spoke to a councillor in the Finn Valley area. He doesn't believe that traffic lights are going up there at the moment.

The councillor has said that it's possible that it is being fixed under central County Council funds, rather than electoral area funds, but it's unlikely.

If smashey turns out to be correct about traffic lights going on Clady Bridge I hope he runs for the next Council election because he would get my vote.

At least he has an interest in the area unlike the people who are briefed by officials of proposed developments and who suddenly develop amnesia

muffler wrote:
    First of all the car behind was probably driven by a woman ;)

I must have just missed you by a few minutes as I came over Clady bridge about 4:45.

Now that photo. Christ almighty smashey if thats going to be a traffic light then we will all need sun roofs in the car to look up at it :D Thats a street light.

The sooner you get married the better. It will settle your nerves and stop you halucinating:D

Street light????? Never contradict me.;)

Damien Blake

I think Damien may have hit the nail on the head here. Maybe it is coming directly form central funds. I think the local representatives should have known though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've had to reverse before when I was almost across the other side so I did so very very slowly.

I recall driving from Clady over the bridge with all the traffic queued back over the bridge as far as Cloghfin (Kirks Riverclub).

That was at the time when there was a permanent RUC/Brit checkpoint in Clady. To this day I dont know how I got past all the other cars parked on the bridge but in fairness the traffic going into Clady always held tight to their side of the bridge thus allowing traffic going in the opposite direction to pass (or scrape ;) past as was the case a couple of times)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I know a man (who shall remain unnamed) that had a heartattack due to a "Road Rage" incident on that bridge. He was almost the whole way across the bridge when a woman came onto the bridge and refused to reverse (probably because she couldn't reverse). As this man reversed all the way back towards Clady, she stayed tight against the front of his car and then when off the bridge, she got out of the car and totally flew off the handle hurling abuse and obsenities at this retired man. This "unnamed" man was so upset and angry at the whole situation that he had to be rushed off to Letterkenny hospital 15 minutes later. Luckily it was only a minor attack.

So, I for one, totally welcome these lights. It's about time somebody did something about this.

The traffic lights are working today. What a difference they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    The traffic lights are working today. What a difference they make.

Good news story smashey, you should tip off the local press, like The Donegal News, not that I am prejudiced in favour of any particular Title ;) .

I just like professional journalism.

P. :cool:

• Advertisement

This thread reminds me of when my youngest sister and her husband Paddy & family lived in the largest white painted house opposite the shop in Clady.

Shortly after they moved out to a new home, the shop and their house were blown away by a bomb. As Clady is so small, I suppose it was unavoidable.

So, I am very happy that we now have 'traffic lights' situated there, instead of the previous debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Paddy20 wrote:
    This thread reminds me of when my youngest sister and her husband Paddy & family lived in the largest white painted house opposite the shop in Clady.

Shortly after they moved out to a new home, the shop and their house were blown away by a bomb. As Clady is so small, I suppose it was unavoidable.

So, I am very happy that we now have 'traffic lights' situated there, instead of the previous debacle.

Which means your sister's initials must be G.McC?

deman wrote:
    Which means your sister's initials must be G.McC?

Close ;) Her initials are A. McC, she became a teacher, moved to the Republic after living & teacing in Derry, and the whole family are now moving back and building a new home just outside Strabane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Traffic lights in Donegal?? Now come on smashey just who are you trying to fool?

Just kidding by the way.

*Insert obligatoryv "Donegal beat Derry on Sunday" response here*.

Traffic lights in Donegal?? Now come on smashey just who are you trying to fool?

Just kidding by the way.

*Insert obligatoryv "Donegal beat Derry on Sunday" response here*.

Now if only they could stop people from jumping the lights. I saw a van pull out of the filling station today and accelerate through a red light. W****R

Donegal didn't beat Derry. They swatted them aside like a particularly annoying fly in the summer.:D

Sorry to go off topic here, but how did you get on with the marker on the floor last week?

smashey wrote:
    Sorry to go off topic here, but how did you get on with the marker on the floor last week?
    Hope you weren't pulling that dirty old trick again smashey :D

Well it's still there, although its now quite faded.

Never got around to trying the brasso, quite frankly becasue I was to lazy to go to the shop and buy any. I know.....I'm a bum.

Anyways its still covered over with a matt and the ma is none te wiser.

Well it's still there, although its now quite faded.

Never got around to trying the brasso, quite frankly becasue I was to lazy to go to the shop and buy any. I know.....I'm a bum.

Anyways its still covered over with a matt and the ma is none te wiser.

I can see muffler's mind working overtime on this.

Ahh but my wording was no coincidence, I can assure you that.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    I can see muffler's mind working overtime on this.

Mine as well ?...what on earth is this marker/stroke stain. If you let us know what needs 'Brasso' too remove it, and a mat too cover it, you might get an easy answer to this conundrum ?.. off topic I know, but it's driving me nut's :confused:

Advertisement