Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd Unmarked Car

Options
  • 01-06-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

I was driving on the M50 yesterday when I heard a police siren coming from behind. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a flashing blue light on the dashboard of a car.

What surprised me about this was the fact that it was a Ford Fusion! It doesnt look like a typical garda car. The passenger was wearing an Ireland football jersey. Were these guys undercover guards, or guys chancing their arm to fly down the M50???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hmmmm.... sounds like chancers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Do firemen on-call have blue lights so they can get to the station quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cargrouch wrote:
    Do firemen on-call have blue lights so they can get to the station quicker?

The full time guys aren't allowed any concessions in their private vehicles, don't know if the same applies to the voluntary ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Next time check to see if it has a Dublin reg and no insurance disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aodh

I saw a dark blue Focus parked just off Stephens Green last night, it had what looked like LED bicycle lights on it. Two in rear window, two on dashboard, two stuck to the front bumper below the grill and another two on the front wings over each wheel.
    No sign of any Guards or extra aerials though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Don't take it for granted.
    Ive been pulled by many a weird car.
    As said check for the D reg and no tax , with insurance disc up top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its the other way round, tax but no insurance disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well if it's anything I saw a 02-D Ford Galaxy TDI (of all things) with a blue light on the dash tear up O'Connell St, Dublin a few days ago. Don't see why they wouldn't have a Fusion.

As for chancers wouldn't fancy getting caught for doing that (impersonating a Garda)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

a lot of the unmarked cars with blue lights aren't garda cars at all. a mate of mine is in the coast guard / sea rescue, they're allowed to have blue flashing lights and sirens on their private cars for use only when paged for an emergency.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

exactiv wrote:
    a lot of the unmarked cars with blue lights aren't garda cars at all. a mate of mine is in the coast guard / sea rescue, they're allowed to have blue flashing lights and sirens on their private cars for use only when paged for an emergency.
    Coast guard members can have blue lights???? Well I do have a lot of spare time....

Seriously though, there are a lot of non Garda reasons someone could have a blue light, but on another note the rozzers have copped on a little in terms of getting non obvious unmarked cop cars, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was.

As well as checking for tax and the Dublin reg, if i'm coming up behind a car on the motorway i'll check for a dealer sticker on the rear window or a dealer cover around the rear plate, both of which won't be on a cop car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

These days there's no such thing as a "typical" unmarked garda car. You could get caught by just about anything - I heard recently about someone being pulled by an old 4wd that he thought was being used by a farmer to check livestock.

Chief--- wrote:
    Its the other way round, tax but no insurance disc.

I thought government vehicles don't need a tax disc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

The Ford Fusion also had a siren. Are other people, such as coast guards, allowed to use a siren?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I am 99% sure that it's only state owned vehicles and not even privately owned Garda vehicles that can use blue flashing lights/siren. I would not stop under any circumstances besides being rammed or stingered by any car other than one with no insurance disc and blue lights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

eoin_s wrote:
    I thought government vehicles don't need a tax disc?

Incorrect. They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Every motor vehicle(electric, diesel, petrol etc) must pay road tax. Government vehicles arent required to have a insurance disc because they self insure, same as Dublin Bus.

Incorrect. They do.

You sure? From the oasis.gov.ie site
    It's important to be aware however, that not all vehicles require motor tax. The following vehicles are exempt:

* State-owned vehicles
    * Diplomatic vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 heliguy

A few years ago the garda had 20 year old renault 5 ball of rust that a ban Garda drove around town waiting to have her handbag snatched.
    You would be very surprised what the Gard's drive around in, although unless your a drug dealer I wouldn't worry about these cars there not after you. Just get out of their way, they don't blow cover without a good reason.

Animal rescue can also legally use blue lights (blue marked vans)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i think its wrong that the garda can drive and pull over people in these cars. as a woman i dont think i would pull over if i was driving late and night and one of these cars came up behind me with lights flashing. how am i to know if its the garda or chancers? wonder what would happen there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

tabatha wrote:
    i think its wrong that the garda can drive and pull over people in these cars. as a woman i dont think i would pull over if i was driving late and night and one of these cars came up behind me with lights flashing. how am i to know if its the garda or chancers? wonder what would happen there?

You could take the registration number and dial 999. They will tell you immediately if it is a legitimate guarda car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Pataman wrote:
    Next time check to see if it has a Dublin reg and no insurance disc.
    i've seen unmarked garda cars with all 3 discs up as well i've been told they are using c reg in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

eoin_s wrote:
    You sure?

They are required to display a tax disc. The tax amount shown on the disc is marked as 'nil'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

heliguy wrote:
    A few years ago the garda had 20 year old renault 5 ball of rust that a ban Garda drove around town waiting to have her handbag snatched.

I really doubt that. Unlike the states, police here and in the UK can't use 'entrapment' as a technique to catch crims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

I really doubt that. Unlike the states, police here and in the UK can't use 'entrapment' as a technique to catch crims.
    its not entrapment its eh waiting good evidence , red handed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tabatha wrote:
    Someone else brought this up lately.. its a good point.

Answer: ring 999 and say you're being flagged down by a car and get them to verify it's legit.

Well if reports on another thread lately about these new unmarked cars tailgating to "encourage/pressure" you to speed are to be believed then that's exactly what they're at.

I've said it before.. it's getting to the point where you need a front/rear camera on cars to (possibly) defend yourself against the muppetry on our roads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

heliguy wrote:
    Animal rescue can also legally use blue lights (blue marked vans)
    They have red lights afaik

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

smarty wrote:
    You could take the registration number and dial 999. They will tell you immediately if it is a legitimate guarda car.

And get done for being on the phone while your at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭taby_dub

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabatha

Quote: Someone else brought this up lately.. its a good point.

Answer: ring 999 and say you're being flagged down by a car and get them to verify it's legit.

999 is an emergancy number!!!!! Also its against the law to use a mobile phone while driving.....

Store the number of your local station and if this happens ring them (on your handsfree) and they will give you the local station number.

Ive had this happen to me. Im a young female driving a 2.5 bmw convertable Driving from rathfarnham to d6 at 4am a car was following me for bout 10 mins flashing blue lights, 2 guys unmarked no way i was pulling over rang my local station d6 and they done a call out to the cars to find out who it was... It was a good 5mins b4 they found out it was a car from rathfarnham.

Its better to be safe than have your car nicked. But dont be ringing 999 its not a life threating situation

• Advertisement

taby_dub wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabatha

Quote: Someone else brought this up lately.. its a good point.

999 is an emergancy number!!!!! Also its against the law to use a mobile phone while driving.....

Store the number of your local station and if this happens ring them (on your handsfree) and they will give you the local station number.

Ive had this happen to me. Im a young female driving a 2.5 bmw convertable Driving from rathfarnham to d6 at 4am a car was following me for bout 10 mins flashing blue lights, 2 guys unmarked no way i was pulling over rang my local station d6 and they done a call out to the cars to find out who it was... It was a good 5mins b4 they found out it was a car from rathfarnham.

Its better to be safe than have your car nicked. But dont be ringing 999 its not a life threating situation
    If I was a young woman (I'm not :)) driving along late at night and had an unmarked car with 2 guys in it tailing me, waving me down the last thing I'd be worried about is going through my mobile wondering what Garda station to ring or getting done for using a mobile - which isn't illegal just yet btw.

Advertisement