Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd Unmarked Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

taby_dub wrote:
    Quote:
    Ive had this happen to me. Im a young female driving a 2.5 bmw convertable Driving from rathfarnham to d6 at 4am a car was following me for bout 10 mins flashing blue lights, 2 guys unmarked no way i was pulling over rang my local station d6 and they done a call out to the cars to find out who it was... It was a good 5mins b4 they found out it was a car from rathfarnham.

I'd say the guard ate the bejaysus out of you when they finally got you to pull over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Big Balls wrote:
    I'd say the guard ate the bejaysus out of you when they finally got you to pull over.
    I'd be sure to get his name, number and station and report him in the morning to his superintendent. The girl did the right thing. She's young, alone and in a high powered BMW. Perfect target for some of the scum out there :(

Well I drove away from what I thought were to55ers in an Audi A6 well into triple figures on the M50 and I nearly got a court appearance over it.

Turned out they were to55ers in an Audi A6 but they were also coppers.

I drive a car which would be a target for thieves also so I do appreciate what the girl is saying but I think 10 mins of flashing blue lights behind you is taking the mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Tell tale signs that its an unmarked Garda car:
    1. Extra aerial(s) on the roof.
    2. No Surrounds on licence plates or dealer stickers on rear..
    3. Usually dirty and look like there in bad nick, e.g no hub cap covers.
    4. Small blue led's in the front grill.
    5. Siren - As any muppit can buy a blue flashing light, but not a siren.
    6. Watch to see if the passenger is using a hand-held radio.

If you are stopped keep your doors locked and ask for I.d.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

DubNside wrote:
    I'm afraid this little myth is being cottoned onto by the Gardaí. A few unmarked cards have dealers surrounds, although I've yet to see dealer stickers (but then again I pull these off my own car too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

DubNside wrote:

A guard I know quoted me much the same list but added "carrying two fellas with big thick heads on 'em":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

WizZard wrote:
    I'm afraid this little myth is being cottoned onto by the Gardaí. A few unmarked cards have dealers surrounds, although I've yet to see dealer stickers (but then again I pull these off my own car too).

They are not allowed have any garage details on them as this would be state vehicles providing free advertisements for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

they have also been known to use jap imports.
    it is a red toyota camery late 90's. how unlikley
    is that. their used to be an early 90's late 80's
    omega in a right state they used for hiding behind
    when doing speed checks on the side of roads.
    some of the unmarked isuzu troopers have tinted
    windows and some are also chipped.
    it might not be safe to speed but its quite likley
    you well be caught with the better unmarked fleet
    out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

DubNside wrote:

As someone mentioned this one has changed now. We are regulary asked to fit number plate surrounds to un marked garda cars when they are in for work....If i remember correctly this is only in the last year or so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I guess the model of the car isn't relevant for the undercover vehicles.

They pobably do the same as in London, if a high powered car is seized and not picked up or claimed for within a specific timespan (don't know how long though) the Police are allowed to put the car into their service.

was in london recently and was amazed to see a '05 Subaru Impreza WRX with police decalls running around

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I guess the model of the car isn't relevant for the undercover vehicles.

They pobably do the same as in London, if a high powered car is seized and not picked up or claimed for within a specific timespan (don't know how long though) the Police are allowed to put the car into their service.

was in london recently and was amazed to see a '05 Subaru Impreza WRX with police decalls running around

Coppers in the UK have been using Scoobies for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

DubNside wrote:

and keep your engine runing ,wheels pointing out slightly and handbrake down if they say anything just say simplily and confidently say i.d. first they cant complain but dont forget to put your handbrake on once you've verified who they are

Advertisement