Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying a 2nd hand 1.4

Options
  • 01-06-2006 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Want to upgrade from my '97 1L polo (which is for sale by the way).
    Looking at getting a reliable 1.4 around 40k on it. I have been looking at Corollas and Almeras. VW Golfs are over-rated and overpriced imho. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Corolla is a great car!! Don't worry if it has more milage on it tho!! Once it has a service history it will run like a dream!! Whats the budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

One of the most under rated cars in this sector is the Opel Astra. I had a 3 door h/b with 50,000 on it and it was great. It was some special edition (cententery edition or something like that) so it came fully loaded. In all the time that I had it I never had one problem with it and to this day I still regret selling it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Have a look at the Skoda Octavia 1.4 Ambiante. As you probably know it's a VW Golf chassis and engine, electric windows, electric mirrors (heated) nice cd player. Very comfortable car with a huge boot. We just got a 03 one and it's a lovely car if not the fastest but if it's reliability you're after you should be ok. Note that I specified the ambiante model - the basic 'classic' models are often used as taxis's as are the 1.9 TDI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have an Opel Astra 1.4 87k miles on the clock, done 90mph from the airport to Dundalk on Sunday no bother, could smell burning oil though so decided to slow down a bit :D

If you keep any car serviced regularly like every 6-8k miles it will keep the car runnign very sweet.

Good performance and handling, mpg is a bitch though compared to the Corrolla @ 38.9 mpg combined but I can get up to 45 mpg on the longer trips.

I bought mind back in 2004 it had 54k miles and cost 6900e. Two years later and 33k miles for the better I have had the head gasket replaced to a stronger alloy gasket. Cost was 280e with Opel garage Monaghan free rental car as well for three days. Timing Belt changed at 70k 190e including the water pump (a must) but everything else is great, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Have you got your Polo advertised anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

yes Polo is in the Buy and Sell

Advertisement