Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical quotation - Fair or OTT

Options
  • 01-06-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

RECI Electrician Has Quoted Below ...
    1st & Second Fix - All materials supplied by Electrician

x68 Down Lighters, Ansell Lighting Low Voltage With Transformers
    x4 Switched 5 amp double sockets
    x30 13 amp Double Sockets
    x12 Cabinet Lights in Kitchen
    x12 Pelmot Lights
    x1 Heat Detector
    x2 Smoke Detectors
    x1 Cable for deck lighting
    x1 Cable for outdoor lighting
    x3 TV Points
    x1 Telephone Point
    x1 Door Bell
    x1 Re-arrange some existing circuits, all the above to an existing Fuse Board

I've received a quote to do the above electrics = €8k
    I was expecting much less.

I am based in North Kildare.

Have any of you self builders/ home improvers got prices that i could compare this to ?

Does this sound ridiculously high ?

Does anyone know of a RECI Electrician who might offer a more reasonable quote?

Thanks In advance :)

Cha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would have thought about 10k tbh. sounds more than fair. What kind of price were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Just one point.

If you are getting low voltage downlighters, make sure that you get a dimmable transformer or else you won't be able to use a dimmer switch on the lights.

If your downlighters were 230VAC, you would not have this issue.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

It looks a bit high, I would say about 6K max inc VAT based on your qtys.
    But, there may be work involved that you haven't listed.
    The only way to find out for sure is to get another quote.

And as Mike says, you would be better off with mains voltage GU10 downlighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was expecting much less.

I am based in North Kildare.
    Based on what you have described i can only tell you that I would expect to have that work carried out here in Donegal for €6000. I would imagine that Kildare prices would be slightly higher but I would certainly look for another couple of quotes.
    You are also a bit short on TV points

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Could you not price the materials yourself, which would give some sort of indication what hes charging for labour. My electrician is doing mine as a nixer, so he just give me a shopping list, and I'm paying him by the hour. He happens to be a nieghbour so there's a certain element of trust. Unfortunately it means its impossible for me to compare to your quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Professionally fitted, including VAT, invoiced and receipted?
    Sounds about right.

Some apprentice sparky doing a nixer at the weekend?
    Divide by 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

down the country you might get it done for 5k-6k,assuming them spots cost about 20 euro. but in kildare i dunno.that's too many spots anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

One phone point seems wrong. You should have at least one in the hall and a second in the master bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FX Meister wrote:
    One phone point seems wrong. You should have at least one in the hall and a second in the master bedroom
    One word ... DECT. Why bother with more than one physical phone point these days?

Alun wrote:
    One word ... DECT. Why bother with more than one physical phone point these days?
    2 words...power failure

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    2 words...power failure
    What's that got to do with it? I've got a 3 extension DECT phone system attached to my single phone point. IF my power fails, which it hasn't done once that I can remember, then I simply take the ancient old Eircom phone I had before and which I kept for just such an eventuality and plug it into the phone socket. Problem solved. Plus there's always mobiles.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A phone socket upstairs could be used for internet access also.

Also, for the TV points, make sure now that good cabling is used, as it'd be difficult to fix it after all the work is complete.

In the main living/sitting room, maybe run 3 or 4 satellite cables to the point, for future uses like satellite, sky+ or whatever.

Alun wrote:
    Not everyone wants to use a cordless phone. Do you do without a cooker in your kitchen just because you have a microwave.
    Phone points in the hall and master bedroom are the standard, even in the cheapest of new homes.

FX Meister wrote:
    Not everyone wants to use a cordless phone.
    :confused:
    Do you do without a cooker in your kitchen just because you have a microwave.
    :confused::confused:
    Phone points in the hall and master bedroom are the standard, even in the cheapest of new homes.
    So?

Ok mate, keep doing things the way they did ten years ago.

FX Meister wrote:
    Ok mate, keep doing things the way they did ten years ago.
    Sorry 'mate', you'll have to explain that one to me. How does embracing well established technology that makes it unnecessary to have phone points scattered all over the house make me some kind of technophobe? The 'confused' smiley's were there for a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

well mate i am an electrician and without lookin at your house no one here can tell you exactly how muct it would cost but by lookin at the amount of stuff you are lookin for you should be lookin at about 8k but i say this only if there is nothing in your house thats going to cause huge problems and for the guy that told you to price of the products thats a very bad thing to do cause people don't understand that if you question a tradesman over that type of stuff they'll more than likely just tell you to get lost and you seee you don't know how much cable and screws and stuff like that that will go in to a job like that and then there is patching and stuff to keep the nice ad tidy my advise would be to get 3 or 4 quotes and then pick the one mid way unless you know someone that has got work done from the cheapest and you know there work is good and just so you know them low voltage lights you are getting aren't cheaper to run than mains voltage and look the same and they are harder to put in and if you put in mains now there is a great range of energy efficient lamps for them that could save you up to 80% on you lighting part to your esb bill

Good look with gething it done i do hope it all goes well for you but just so you no if you are looking to get it done a little cheaper you could always find a couple of a apprentises or even an electrician to do it cheaper like someone that would do it as a nixor you know for cash

Alun wrote:
    Sorry 'mate', you'll have to explain that one to me. How does embracing well established technology that makes it unnecessary to have phone points scattered all over the house make me some kind of technophobe? The 'confused' smiley's were there for a purpose.
    Just read my earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Alun wrote:
    If you want to get a Sky subscription, you need an extra phone point where your digital box can be connected to. Also, an extra point for an internet connection would be handy too.

Not at all, all you need is one word, DECT, or should I say four words abbreviated. Just connect your sky box to your DECT and your internet connection to your DECT. Any probs just ask Alun.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Not at all, all you need is one word, DECT, or should I say four words abbreviated. Just connect your sky box to your DECT and your internet connection to your DECT. Any probs just ask Alun.
    :D:D

Advertisement