Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OC problem

Options
  • 01-06-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

Just updated my BIOS as per the other thread. All was working fine, went to restore my previous overclock in the bios. Did everything as per normal but think I may have set the CPU voltage to +9.9% (1.5386V) instead of +6.6% (1.4924V) as I had it before . No system won't boot into windows, randomly restarts at any stage while windows loading. This happened (at stock settings) about 5 times, the last time a BSOD flashed up for a microsecond so I deceided to give it a break. I can't think of anything I did differently from before and I don't think that's enough voltage to fry the cpu? Temps were around 40C. I don't have anything else to test with, any ideas?
    Spec as per sig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Booted it up again there now - goes to the windows screen asking to boot safe mode/last known settings/boot normally etc. All options just cause a restart, safe mode listing a load of drviers etc. then restarting. Could this be a HDD issue then? Doesn't seem like a CPU one to me tbh?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Have you put everything back down to stock levels?

Also unless your HDD is plugged into a locked SATA port it could be damaged by overclocking due to the increased bus speed.

I'd try everything at stock - clear your cmos (pop the battery out and pop it back in after a minute or there is probably a jumper you switch over for a second or two to do it either) and then try rebooting.

Everything was at stock again. I restored the BIOS to defaults but I never actually cleared the CMOS.
    Just tried that now, using the jumper (didn't go near the battery) and rebooted. Got a CMOS checksum error (is that normal?) and a keyboard error. Put in a PS2 keyboard, rebooted and it's in windows now. Anything I should check for damage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Simona1986 wrote:
    Everything was at stock again. I restored the BIOS to defaults but I never actually cleared the CMOS.
    Just tried that now, using the jumper (didn't go near the battery) and rebooted. Got a CMOS checksum error (is that normal?) and a keyboard error. Put in a PS2 keyboard, rebooted and it's in windows now. Anything I should check for damage etc?

You cant jump in and restore your previous stored bios settings. It doesnt work like that. You have to start as if its a new rig, starting from scratch and gradually finding the max of each component. bios updates arent worth it, unless its broke dont fix it

They weren't the previously stored settings I restored, the were the defaults. I flashed it because the beta bios allowed more voltage to the ram which it needs to reach it's rated speed.

• Advertisement

Now it works perfectly everytime I clear the CMOS jumper.
    Then if I restart it goes back to crashing.
    Should I just take out the CMOS battery overnight or do I have to do anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try a 8 hours cmoss clear diffrent boards do it diffrent ways so look for a guide for your board.

Advertisement