Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging an Lcd tv on bedroom wall.

Options
  • 01-06-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

I have a beautiful 19" dell lcd tv in my bedroom but it is taking up too much room on my dresser as it is a widescreen. I plan to hang it on the wall but I have a few questions that I would love some advice on first.

1) The wall is plasterboard. Will it be okay hanging on this? Will it be too heavy for plaster board or should I find the wood where the plasterboard is connected to?

2) I am gonna get another sky box in the bedroom. Will it be much work connecting it to the satellite dish. I live in your standar 3 bed semi.

Please offer whatever advice you can.
    Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You must hang it on the stud (wood). The plasterboard alone won't take that kinda weight. You would end up with a hole in your wall and a lovely smashed tv!

You can get a machine to find the stud but these aren't great. The best method is the old "tap, tap" and listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah find the studs, as you can get the so called tiger grips or easydrives for plasterboard, but I would'nt trust a tv on them.
    If the studs are too far apart tbh its would be worth it to get a 3x2 installed in between the studs.
    This ofcourse would involve wreaking a bit of the wall but atleast you would have a solid surface.

Another thing that may work and be better is to maybe find the studs and then cut a piece of plywood, screw it on the wall between the studs and then paint it the colour of the wall, Atleast your TV will cover the square of plywood.

I assume your fishing the cables up to the TV, right? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have a 20" LCD on the bedroom and kitchen wall. Although the stud wasn't exactly were I wanted it, I used a bracket similar to this one which meant that the TV would be to the left or to the right of the stud depending which is better for you. It also gives a more flexible viewing position.

Ethier way I wouldn't risk it on the plasterboard, too much at stake tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have a 17 inch flatscreen on my bedroom wall on the ususal lcd bracket.
    My lovely plasterboard walls dont have studs so what I did was no more nails on some mdf on the inside of the plasterboard where I want the TV to hang.
    Basically this meant putting a hole in the bathroom wall (but as Im re-tiling it makes no odds) and then the bracket is screwed to this.
    Doesnt budge and is a fine.

Regarding the cables, I installed an electrical and coaxial socket in my attic and then fished the cables down inside the wall so my tv just appears on the wall like a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

There was an item on UK Home automation mailing list regarding this and somebody recommended a snaptoggle bolt

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=95441&ts=54033

http://www.ukha-archive.com/ml/ukhad/2005-apr/msg00452.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If you want to be absolutely certain about the osition of the studs tap them out first then use an awl to "probe" for them - you can fill in the tiny holes afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

i have a 20" sharp lcd on my bedroom wall and I have just drilled in to plaster board and used the wing plugs. Its been up nearly a year and its solid as a rock

Advertisement