Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Formulae

Options
  • 01-06-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

How ****iNg hard is it to remember them all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

em not hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

well if thats what you think u should try recall all the formulae from Circular Motion (including Newtons Universal thingy) without the book. Maybe its just me but i find them very difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

whassupp2 wrote:
    well if thats what you think u should try recall all the formulae from Circular Motion (including Newtons Universal thingy) without the book. Maybe its just me but i find them very difficult

Most of them are the same thing just changed around and substituted, so it's basic algebra apart from 1 or 2 basic formulae, and you get centripical acceleration in the maths tables, along with quite a few formulae in different topics actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I had an absolute ****e teacher so nothing sank in for me. This guy literally took an entire class and made them hate the subject. Formulas and definitions wreck my head now, even though I got grinds to ease the pain in some sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

aah the forumlas arent the worse, at this stage theres only about 6/7 that catch me out really..

i've said them so many times they just flow out of me..!

however when to you the righ tone sometimes catches me out....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

try writing them out a few times, Over and over again to memorise them. The best way of learning them is to use them to solve actual questions.

try writing them out a few times, Over and over again to memorise them. The best way of learning them is to use them to solve actual questions.

Or try thnking about them, a lot of physics formulae make logical sense if you think about them enough. For example, "v=u+at". Velocity is how fast you are going in a certain direction and acceleration is how fast your velocity is changing per second, so if you started at 0 m/s your velocity would be your acceleration x time travelled(v=at), but if you started at a higher(or lower) velocity you'd have to add that too(v=u+at).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I will try writing them out over and over. Hate doin the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Only real way to learn them is use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ha, I'm doing physics at ordinary level as an 8th subject for matriculation, just to get a pass so I have a science. Two mocks down, 43% in one and 44% in the other :D

From my taste of it I'm glad I didn't pick the subject. It could be so interesting, but IMO the course ruins any possible interest in it for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

physics formulas/definitions hard to learn????no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if you think that is hard try chemistry....HUNDREDS of definitions that pretty much have to be word for word and no using formulas with notations instead of the definition like you can in physics....
    at least in physics you can make up a definition most of the time and get full marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i think that the physics formulae are way harder to learn than the chem definitions.
    im just avoiding mechanics like the plague on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I never have trouble remembering the formula. I've always done my homework since fifth year and they just naturally stuck. At ordinary level are you not given them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Aren't they in the back of the Maths table book thingie or is that not allowed any more?

could be that it was for Chemistry that the formulae were in the back of the maths thing, but i thought it was physics. I remember bringing that book into my Chemistry and Physics exams for the leaving anyway.

theres a few in the applied maths section of the maths tables that can be used fro physics but there is still loads to learn off.

i think that the physics formulae are way harder to learn than the chem definitions.
    im just avoiding mechanics like the plague on the day

Serious?? Mechanics is the part that I coast through getting full marks, it's almost a piss take how simple the maths are in it. What I hate are the experiments questions - some of the questions they ask haven't got anything to do with understanding physics....

By the way, if this helps anyone:

Physics Formulae: Page 1, Page 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

ooh that sheet is good aint it? our teacher gave us it out too, and the definitions for each chapter aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

JC 2K3 wrote:

That's really good, thanks a million i'll be using that! :)

JC 2K3 wrote:

Thanx

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

JC 2K3 wrote:

thanks a million...no more flickin back and forth;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Thanks JC 2K3 :)

No problem, best of luck people, I'm just out of 5th year so I'm relaxing right now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

the rest of them are at the end of the syllabus, think its the dept of educations website, or maybe the state examinations commission, not sure, but thanks JC2K3!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Physics Teacher

I handed out some summaries to my students recently which they found useful. I am willing to share them with other students if they are interested. I have put the Heat Summary up on the web (http://www.studentxpress.ie/heat.pdf). It takes a while to prepare them to go online. I’ll do a few more if students find this one useful.

At this stage you should be preparing for Physics as laid out in the summary:
    1. Definitions: Learn them inside out.
    2. Formulae: Know each formula, know what each symbol stands for and the units of each quantity.
    3. Demonstrations: In Section B, you will not be asked about the mandatory experiments. However, you will be asked to describe an experiment to demonstrate something. Every demonstration experiment needs to be learnt. Your answer just needs a diagram and about 6 lines (max.) of explanation.
    4. STS: Applications of Physics in the everyday world. Just read the STS in the notes (no need to learn in any great detail). They just want one or two word answers. Example: Give an application of the Doppler effect. Answer: Speed traps
    Note: One STS in heat that should be learnt very well is the heat pump.
    5. Proofs: None in heat
    6. FAQ’s: The same questions on heat tend to come up year after year. I have picked out the faq’s and given model answers.
    7. Experiments: This is section A. You do not have to learn the experiment as they do not ask you to write it out. Just read your experiment and familiarise yourself with it. They may ask some experimental detail as to how you found the mass of ice for example. The most important stuff you need is in the summary:
    [A] Learn the fully labelled diagram for every experiment.
    Know the suitable graph or formula.
    [C] Know some errors and precautions.

I hope this is of some help. Good luck in the exam. Remember that many students have nearly a full week free before Physics so you can fit in lots of work. The Heat summary is just 9 pages long.

Wow, thats great. thanks very much

Fair Play!

good to see a teacher on here..

any predictions? :P

Section A (Experiments)
    Velocity of sound
    Newton's Secons Law (F = ma)

Section B
    Modern Physics (something on X-rays)
    Electricity [long question on electromagnetism - Faraday's and Lenz's Laws (Definitions and demos) + problem]

Section A (Experiments)
    Velocity of sound
    Newton's Secons Law (F = ma)

Section B
    Modern Physics (something on X-rays)
    Electricity [long question on electromagnetism - Faraday's and Lenz's Laws (Definitions and demos) + problem]

Great. What about Circular Motion??

• Advertisement

It is always hard to predict the Mechanics. Gravitational circular motion was on in 2005 so I would say circular motion is unlikely.

Advertisement