Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One In Five Workers Govt Employee's

Options
  • 01-06-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭

From http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1624464&issue_id=14146

" The buoyant jobs market in building, retailing and financial services is being reinforced by a surge in public sector employment. More than one in five of all workers is now employed by the government, as numbers rose by over 30,000 in the twelve months."

This seems like a house of cards to me, surely this is totally unsustainable in any downturn ..eg the housing/construction business ?

Comments, thoughts? ..i'm increasing worried that this country is horribly exposed if and when the next economic downturn begins.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

14000 extra fractional teachers on fractional posts are now counted. EG if you were part time on 0.4 of a teaching job you are now full time on 0.4 of a teaching job with permanancy at that fraction of a full job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Didn't know that, i'm still in shock that one in five workers is in government employment though.

Unions and low productivity spring to mind, if and when the downturn happens..how are we going to pay these peoples wages???

There is no way in hell i'm staying in my reasonably paid job if tax rates rise..am off to another country and am damn sure many many of the mobile immigrant workforce, helping to fuel the current boom, feel any differently.
    Couple that with our history of emmigration and there's a cookbook with many recipies for disaster

No way in hell am I investing in Irish stocks from here on in!

I'm deeply shocked!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sorry , from that article
    Around 13,000 extra people were working in education and more than 10,000 in health services. The core public service created another 5,000 jobs.

Many are low paid classrom assistants, when the child they assist leaves they will not have a job in that school guaranteed.

The rest are fractional teachers. I would estimate average cost €20k each.

The bulk of the rest of the 30000 are health care but again it spart timers being regularised.

Bar the classroom assistants we were carrying a lot as part timers before but not counting them .

We will take on 50 labour inspectors next year , big deal.

The teachers are going ape**** since yesterday as the new pay deal now brings in no automatic increments any more and performance related pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The % of workers in the public sector is not high by western 'post industrial' standards as far as I know.

Mike.

Sponge Bob , your reducing my worries a lot, at least on the govt employment side of things, I fear our construction industry post SSIA madness is going to be a graveyard and also therefore the Irish economy though.

mike65, compaired to the UK (which has unsustainable levels of govt employees especially in NI imho) how do we compare, for example, to Denmark or the other Nordic countries that arguably are more similar to us in size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

We're living a lie at present, our economy is not performing well enough to keep it afloat - our success is home grown and we are sustaining ourselves, we've forgotten how to export and the balance of trade is a mess - lets hope the building boom / housing market keeps going because that's paying for everyone - I can see some horrible outcomes in the not too distant future:eek:

mox54 wrote:
    We're living a lie at present, our economy is not performing well enough to keep it afloat - our success is home grown and we are sustaining ourselves, we've forgotten how to export and the balance of trade is a mess - lets hope the building boom / housing market keeps going because that's paying for everyone - I can see some horrible outcomes in the not too distant future:eek:

The water is about to come over the hill imho, no question, gold while in a minor correction at the moment is going towards the 1k mark in many peoples views - http://www.thebulliondesk.com/

but the dollar will fall by 50% against the € and so what :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Longfield wrote:

mike65, compaired to the UK (which has unsustainable levels of govt employees especially in NI imho) how do we compare, for example, to Denmark or the other Nordic countries that arguably are more similar to us in size?

Heres the overall UK % the same as ours. Note the huge diff between NI and South East!

Norway has a whopping 30% thats where all the vodka taxes go.

And heres the 'piece de resistance' as quoted from United Nations System of National Accounts in 1993 okay old numbers but proberly still fairly accurate overall.
    India 69% (find this figure a bit hard to believe!)
    Myanmar 68%
    Libya 66%
    Suriname 63%
    Egypt 60%
    Gabon 59%
    Kazakhstan 45%
    Fiji 41%
    Kenya 40%
    Poland 40%
    Lithuania 39%
    Bulgaria 37%
    Oman 36%