Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all my GEO homies!!

Options
  • 01-06-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

iav came across this Q in the sample papers.... its the elective geoecology... try and tell me what it means...

compare and contrast the characteristics of any two major soil types

tell me wut 2 major soil types mean... is it the texture,structure,ph value,air,colour ect there talkin bout or zonal soils , intra zonal...ect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Geoecology is definitely the most confusing part of the new Geography course.

I'm not sure either if they mean compare and contrast Zonal with Azonal
    or
    compare and contrast Irish soils with Mediterranean soils. :confused:

And how can you actually compare and contrast them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

would it not just be the difference between ,lets say Alluvial Soils and Red Soils?? it really depends how many marks the question is goin for, you can only write so much about bloody soils anyway:p
    Parent rock could be a big factor too, but from what i've heard the examiners are gonna know as much about what we're saying as we do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

It's an 80 mark question ie. 2 pages maybe more :eek:

I'm going to avoid it and hope that either human interference with soils or a biome question is asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

80 marks!! bastards:D i guess they want you to go into the whole economic framework thats been built around the soil type as well then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

or would it not be compare sandy and loam soils... i dont know.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

ok, i just read the rest of the thread.. ignore that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Hey guys (and gals),

ya know with the REGIONAL question, and when the say discuss something about a EUROPEAN REGION, is it okay to discuss either the West or Dublin there????

Any ideas let me know? From what i pick up as long as it doesn't say NON IRISH, it's okay to discuss Ireland, but am I right????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh pretty sure you can....it says non-irish if the specify.

Does anyone know what the hell to do for East vs. West of Ireland in regional?

Yeh pretty sure you can....it says non-irish if the specify.

Does anyone know what the hell to do for East vs. West of Ireland in regional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

From what I picked up from my geo teacher, they aren't going to ask you to contrast the two regions, they are more likely going to ask you about a specific aspect of one of the regions - eg the development of the tertiary sector in Dublin or a problem in the west. Fairly sure that's the type of questions on them.

• Advertisement

Oh really? Great, that's much easier. Because in the mountains of notes I've accumulated, the closest to comparing them is...well the fact that one's a peripheral region and the other a core region.

You feckin better be right! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

This new Geography course is the bain of my life at the moment! I'd feel fairly on top of things if it wasn't for flippin geography ARRRGGHH! I'm def gona do really bad in it, it's impossible to study it and I can't understand the questions that they even ask on the sample paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

my head gets sore thinking about geography!!!
    i'm hoping 2 get a q with contrasting west and dub, agriculture or tourism in the mezz and then farming forestry and fishing in india, it's all i've got time to learn!!!
    As for geoecology, our whole year are learning the desert biome and that's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Our teacher told us that european dont mean ireland. They say Irish region when they mean Ireland. I see your point though. Ireland is an administrative eu region.

I think you can use Ireland unless they specifically say a 'European, non-Irish region'

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Funkstard wrote:
    I think you can use Ireland unless they specifically say a 'European, non-Irish region'
    Yeah u can either do Ireland (west and east) or France (core region) all the teachers said it.

Advertisement