Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Touch Up paint

Options
  • 01-06-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where on-line preferably I could get a touch up paint for Dolphin Grey Audi A4.I would prefer to get the exact colour.I've seen some that are rediculously different to the original.I just need it to touch up stone chipping marks nothing too big.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Halfords do kits for manufacturer specific paints - my wife bought me the BMW Montreal blue one a few months ago but haven't tried it.
    They come with lacquer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Maybe its a cross between bad luck and my own stupidity, but i have NEVER found any touch up paint that matches the paintwork properly. Even down to having searched for the exact paint name/number as taken off the inside door of the car. Last time it happened, I got something along the lines of Honda Phoenix Red 1124, as what the label on the car door says. The touch up paint i got had that exact name and number and was still a different color.
    For a sexy car like an A4, I'd just bring it to the pros to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you considered going to an Audi dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

(ignore previous).

my reccommendation is either leave them alone or else go to a premium panelbeater to paint the whole panel (bonnet i presume?). most panelbeaters charge by the panel anyway. my usual guy charges €130 per panel and the match is always 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt use the halfords match,i got some cans made up of it the other week and it was a woefull match.I used east coast car parts in tallaght instead(cheaper and a bigger can) and the match was practically spot on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When i mentioned Halfords, I wasn't referring to the stuff they make on the spot - they sell kits for specific colours foreach different manufacturer...
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&categoryId=31519&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33958&top_category=33958&topCategoryID=33958&crumb=33958

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

if you want it to be done professionally, I can highly recommend this place
    http://www.carcraft.ie/

a neighbour recommended him to me, as I want to get some scratches and stuff sprayed, and he showed me the work they did on his car, was absolutely amazing and couldn't see the slightest difference to the original colour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

carcraft seconded

If it was me, I'd prefer to touch up using a kit from Audi dealer. any of the quick spray jobs I've seen leave small specks of dust under the paint, and any car salesman will spot these straight away come trade in time. any respray on a bonnet looks suspicious. If it's only a few stone chips, surely an Audi touch up bottle is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i can spot a dodgy paintjob at twenty paces and my dad's 06 318 has had a rear bumper repainted (yes, already!) and you would NEVER know. however i've never seen a touch up system which actually finishes to anything like an acceptable standard. if you like your car and will have it for any length of time, go for a pro panelbeater, paint with no damage repair is surprisingly cheap.

• Advertisement

you can get away with bumpers a lot easier than bonnets. I can spot a respray and would be very suspicious of a repainted bonnet.

I suppose if the marks are bad enough it might warrant a spray job, but going on the original post, it looks like a €10 touch up is all he's after

(I've just realised how dodgy "a €10 touch up" looks written down...)

Advertisement