Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my car imported?

Options
  • 01-06-2006 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

How do I tell if my car is an import or not? Its an 03 Corolla terra.. I tried to buy parts in halfords the other day and the assistant told me that the terra is the Japanese name for a corolla so it 'must be an import'.. but I've seen them everywhere, surely if it was imported it wouldn't be so common. I just don't know :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is terra not just a spec level?

***EDIT***http://www.toyota.ie/

If you click on the corrolla, in the drop down menu you can choose terra or strata. So it can definately be bought here, as one of only 2 options by the look of it so thats probably why theres loads fo them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

you will notice japanese symbols on stickers,most jap imports come with all the electrics like e/w e/m and aircon,i have had 2 imports and i noticed these things about them compared to european models of the same make

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quackles wrote:
    How do I tell if my car is an import or not? Its an 03 Corolla terra.. I tried to buy parts in halfords the other day and the assistant told me that the terra is the Japanese name for a corolla so it 'must be an import'.. but I've seen them everywhere, surely if it was imported it wouldn't be so common. I just don't know :confused:

I reckon the guy in Halfords doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Since about 1997 the Toyota models had different trim levels with weird names here in Ireland and continental Europe.

The Corolla models were as follows:
    • Linea "Terra" - base model,
    • Linea "Luna" - higher spec,
    • Linea "Sol" - highest spec.
    UK or Jap imported Corollas did not have these names as far as I know. Another thing is that Jap import Corollas have slightly different looks to EU built models.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Terra is the spec over here all right, but to be sure, is your rear number plate square or rectanguler?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote:
    I reckon the guy in Halfords doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

It is a prerequisite for working in halfords or any other retail outlet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To be fair, the guys in Halfords in Wexford seem quite useful. But in this case, the "Terra" designation signifies a trim level which was indeed sold here from new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

If your back number plate is square then it's a Japanese import.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Awesome, thanks folks.. I had a feeling I sensed a little "talking through ass" syndrome in yer man. Its a rectangular number plate, looks like standard Irish basic model toyota corolla for me!! Yippee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

check out http://www.cartell.ie/

Its gives a history of a car, just enter in the reg number, there are free reports that tell you if its imported (if I remember right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not free anymore. It will cost you €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Imported Corrolla's from the UK are:

Base Model
    T2 Model
    T3 Model

T3 being the model that has all the extras.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It absolutely astonishes me that anyone can shell out their hard earned on a car without knowing it's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It absolutely astonishes me that anyone can shell out their hard earned on a car without knowing it's history.
    It astonishes me that so many people think a car's history is more important than its current condition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Gurgle wrote:
    It astonishes me that so many people think a car's history is more important than its current condition.

I never said it was. Both are vitally important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Gurgle wrote:

It is as important?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In my opinion one is as important as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, "Terra" and all them are only used on European models (excl. UK). Importing cars from Japan of that age is not very common (probably not worth it) - they tend to be around 4-5 years old or more. And as others said, there would be stuff written in Japanese around the car e.g. the warning on the passenger sun visor about rear-facing child seats and the airbag, the FM band on the radio would be 76-90MHz instead of 87-108MHz, and the speedo and odometer will be in km/h only.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Just look at the logbook and look at date of first licensing in Ireland.eg a 01 car that says date of reg in Ireland as 03 or whatever is an import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

there would be jap writing in glass, and beside chasis number, also, there may be a square licence plate on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is no way you could have a Japanese domestic model and not realise it. and if it's a "Linea Terra" model, and it's right hand drive, then it's definately 100% a Toyota Ireland car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement