Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cap

• 01-06-2006 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok want to get adsl (leap is just to slow for games) and was wondering do any of the providers not cheak their caps because my bro dwlaods like **** !!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Eircon still dont charge for going over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

what are eircom like if i got the 3mb package would i actualy get it and whats there pings like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I ping between 24-50 to jolt.co.uk

Very nice most of the time,

Speed test shows around 2.6mb/s which is as good as to be expected.

Overall i have 0 comlaints with Eircom though you will find an awful lot of people who have lots.

If they ever start charging for exceeding the cap i will leave them immediately

ok tnx for the help m8

and also what about bt and utv to they cheak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

digiweb don't implement a cap system either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have eircom BB and i have had noting but problems since i have got it. Hardly can use it till after 11 for games as i keep lagging out or just lag so bad you just stop playing the games. But late at night and early during the day its great. Good also for Dling files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

digiweb don't implement a cap system either

they quote caps on their dsl

info here

do they not implement them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awhir wrote:
    what are eircom like if i got the 3mb package would i actualy get it and whats there pings like :D

don't forget that with adsl, pings and download speeds will vary depending on distance away from exchange and the quality of the copper wire to the exchange

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

awhir wrote:
    cheak
    awhir wrote:
    cheak

"check".

Sorry, "cheak" isn't even a word in the English language.

Both BT and UTV have caps that they enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

CuLT wrote:
    "check".

UTV certainly enforce their CAPS.....but BT are as Lax as Eircom on their CAPS....as I have NEVER heard of anyone getting charged under BT includeing myself when I used to go WAY over their CAPSabout 9 months ago.

UTV do offer you the choice of paying €6 a month extra for so called unlimited data transfer....this has yet to be tested properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

they quote caps on their dsl

info here

do they not implement them?

i rang them up after my 2nd month and enquired about the cap because i was doing some heavy downloading and the person i spoke to in tech said that they had no system in place to monitor user downloads/bandwidth and weren't going to bother to get one in.

CuLT wrote:
    "check".

im so very sorry about my spelling sir.

and tnx for all the help people will probly go for eircom since all ready have like 6 lines of them for the business.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

zuma wrote:
    UTV certainly enforce their CAPS.....but BT are as Lax as Eircom on their CAPS....as I have NEVER heard of anyone getting charged under BT includeing myself when I used to go WAY over their CAPSabout 9 months ago.

Do you not remember the spate of cap enforcements a few months back? They didn't charge anybody alright, but they did cut people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

zuma wrote:
    UTV do offer you the choice of paying €6 a month extra for so called unlimited data transfer....this has yet to be tested properly!

How do you mean? Just finished my first month with the €6 unlimited cap add on. I downloaded about 37 gigs and uploaded about 33gig (:o :D ). This was on the 3mb Clicksilver+ package (20gig cap normally). Based on UTV's cap breakage charges of €14 per gig, that would have cost me €238 extra!. I was downloading constantly 24/7(though not always at full speed:Torrents, uploading at full speed though) for most of the second half of the month and I did not notice any traffic shaping by UTV. ie I don't think I was moved to share contention/bandwidth with other heavy users during peak hours like was mentioned in the Unlimited add ons T&C's. My Bandwidth Usage section on my account page had a notice saying "You are on the unlimited download plan so you can continue to use the service without incurring any download charges"

So far for me the €6 add on has been well worth the money because as much as I am tempted by BT's non enforcement of caps and there BB+ and Line Rental product for €50, I am loath to move to them due to billing horror stories and UTV->BT 2 month provider switch horror stories.

I take it that the OP's provider Leap is Wireless. Maybe seeing as he would in effect be a new DSL customer to whatever provider he chose, his transition might be painless and problem free. In that case then maybe BT might be the best/cheapest choice for him. Me? I realised I was an internet addict last year when Eircom engineers screwed up our connection when they were working on the junction box at the top of our estate and we were without DSL/Internet for 2+ weeks. I just can't bring myself to risk that length of a break from my precious internet!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah I have BT at home....their 3Mbit connection and getting billed for their 2Mbit connection.
    The upload is only 256k instead of 384K and the extra speed isnt really noticeable so if they ever fix the problem and drop me to what Im paying for, 2Mbit, I wont complain and just plead ignorance.

About 9 months back I was doing some HEAVY downloading....~80GBytes a month, but as I live in an area of relativately low DSL penetration I knew nobody would complain so it didnt bother me much.

Im aware of BT cutting people back in February for a day or two...but it hasnt happened since and I doubt certain people changed their data transfer habbits that much....with the exception of the month directly following the cut offs.

I do admit that the €6 for unlimited, until it harms other users in your area, is a pretty nice product but IMHO not worth the hassle of taking on UTV in the first place.

Advertisement