Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion Magazines

• 01-06-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

A simple question for ye guys and gals....
    What do ye think is the best best fashion magazine?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Elle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I'm not gonna lie to you, this is gonna get gay...

...Vanity Fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They all seem to be very similar from what I've seen... I think the best way to find out about fashion is online blogs etc, esp ones that do street fashion.

Well, if I had to pick a mainstream one, I'd go for one of the small, compact ones like Glamour, simply because I hate those massive ones! Still, half the time, you're looking at what to avoid wearing rather than what to wear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

In Style and Elle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Vogue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I love the U magazine. The thing I really like about it is that it's Irish and I can purchase all the items in it (if I had all the money in the world that is). They also have a no diet policy with I completely agree with.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Without a doubt 'In Style' - it has none of those crappy surveys such as 'How your choice of fireplace determines your lovestyle/marriage potential/if you'll loose weight etc.'.

Are there any like proper fashion mags for guys..?

Gq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Don't know about proper fashion mags for guys, I know FHM do a section of clothes! For the girlies has to be VOGUE or Grazia if you want a bit of gossip thrown in.

• Advertisement

Grazia is SHIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

FHM have a mens fashion magazine that comes out a couple of times during the year. I think it might be called FHM Collections.

thanks ladies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

If you really are looking for a pure fashion magazine, Italian Vogue is the best but all the Vogues are great. Numero and i-D are really good too. All of these have amazing editorials, photographers, models etc. A lot of people find them a bit too high fashion though, which is fair enough. I don't really buy the more high-street magazines because they're not my cup of tea, but I love Allure. Best beauty magazine on the market.

Oh and for men, L'uomo Vogue and Vogue Homme International are supposed to be great.

Yeah, Italian magazines in general are way better for fashion imo. They really do that opulence thing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

i-D has some amazing fashion shoots in them. Slightly more alternative,arty. They don't sell it in every store. Think Eason's the only place I've seen it.

I'd say inStyle is great. Not as many ads as Vogue or Elle and doesn't feel as snooty. Its more about the clothes and make-up and not who was at some Polo match/art gallery opening. I find I wouldn't read all the articles in Elle/Vogue as they wouldn't interest me. Although they both have some amazing photo shoots.

to be honest, i'd be getting the mags mainly to looks at the portraiture/fashion photography.. then pinking up on some fashion stuff along the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

InStyle, Glamour, Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan is NOT a fashion magazine.its more sex in it that a Playboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

It may not be a entirely devoted to fashion, but I find I get a lot of shopping/ style ideas from it. I really like the fact that they mix more expensive pieces (anything over €150 for an item) with pieces from tesco, primark, h+m, new look. I love reading my sister's Vogue, but the only item I've ever bought that's appeared in Vogue were the flat shoes I scored in Topshop's sale last summer for €10. If I want to just look at pretty stuff I can never buy, I may as well spend my time browsing net-a-porter.com as spend €6 on a magazine which has more pictures than words. Just my imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Glamour is the way to go. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Hermione* wrote:
    I find I get a lot of shopping/ style ideas from it.

I think this sums it up perfectly - magazines like Glamour, Cosmopolitan, and even InStlye aren't fashion magazines, they're style magazines. They take trends from the catwalks, interpret them for the masses, and show people where they can buy the clothes at affordable prices.

Fashion in magazines like Vogue is treated as an art form; from the clothes themselves to the photo shoots, and this would be how I would define fashion - as an art. Why else do museums host exhibitions on Vivienne Westwood, Comme des Garcons etc, but not Primark? ;)

Don't get me wrong - I love and wear Penneys clothes!!

Yes - Glamour et al are really just product showcases for the most part!

(n.t.t.n.a.w.w.t.)*

* not that there's necesarily anything wrong with that

I think Glamour has gone rubbish lately. There's too many stories like "I lost my husband in 9/11 and now I've married his best friend" blah blah blah. And it seems like there's Glamour awards almost every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Vogue.

Oh and there's a Mens Vogue out for those who are wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

b3t4 wrote:
    I love the U magazine. The thing I really like about it is that it's Irish and I can purchase all the items in it (if I had all the money in the world that is). They also have a no diet policy with I completely agree with.

A.

U is awful!I think its great there is an Irish mag but its copys blatantly from English and American mags. They feature the same really exotic dark clothes that suit meditatarean types and talk about sex in a really cosmo way!Hello...we live in Ireland and dont have deep tans and discuss our sex life with our friends a la sex and the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shmess

Did anyone ever read Elle Girl? i love fashion and i thought it was great for my age group... but i havnt seen it in months, cant find it anywher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I like Instyle and Glamour, but also like Look as it has much cheaper items that I can actually afford!

I've given up on magazines now. Fashion blogs ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Totally agree :D

But what kind of magazin are you looking for OP? Just pure fashion magazines?

The likes of U, cosmo, glamour, etc are "allrounders". A bit of everything.
    Personally, I like the U mag. It's cheap. Although it "steals" a lot from other more expensive mags. But I don't mind. It's the same content for less money and they make the effort to present stuff that you can just go out and buy in Ireland.

Advertisement