Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which American network to use?

• 01-06-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭

I am going to America for 4 months on a J1 Visa and was wondering does anyone know which netwrok is the best to use in regards of cheap calls home and to other US phones.
    I have heard that some networks will give you free calls to other phones on the same network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Depends where in America

Pacific Bell are good on the West Coast, T-Mobile on the East

(At least they were a couple of years ago when I was there! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭digiman

Jam Man wrote:
    Depends where in America
    I will be in New York for the most part as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dont think its worth your while, get yourself a pre-paid calling card to call your family or whatever at home in Ireland. Calling home from a US mobile just wouldnt be worth it I dont think. I use T-Mobile anyway, brought my ngage from Ireland am living here, only on pre-paid. I send the odd text to Ireland, think its 25c per message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Most (all?) of the deals involving free calls require you to be on a contract over there - and they're usually 18 to 24 months' long! I don't know if any of the PAYG have any free calling offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Jam Man wrote:
    Depends where in America

Pacific Bell are good on the West Coast, T-Mobile on the East

(At least they were a couple of years ago when I was there! :D )

It sure has!!! Pacific Bell are gone a long time now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Try going onto the websites www.sprint.com www.att.com should get some info of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

virgin mobile have launched recently in the US and when i was there last summer they were selling prepaid phone packs complete with numbers and a handset for as little as $49 in CVS and Duane Reade's. The call rate for US phone are extortinate and some even charge ou a daily usage charge aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭digiman

Well I am here now and I am using T-Mobile, the coverge is rubbish compared to home on my 6680. Couldn't get over the fact that you have to pay to receive calls as well, damn rip of. Sim pack was only $40 with $30 included. The only good thing is that international texts are only 10c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There are a few of the CDMA type networks that have free incoming calls (but thats probably just within the US)

Advertisement