Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems

• 01-06-2006 10:38pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Earlier on today I set up a computer on Eircom bb for a friend of mine using the netopia wireless modem/router and a netgear wg 311 pci card (with the latest driver)– changed the security to wpa and everything was fine while I was there. It’s the 1Mb product and was getting a decent speed – watched a few quicktime trailers listened to some radio. Have AVG and Zone Alarm on it.(Should also say that initially the computer was a mess loads of viruses and spyware so did a complete reinstall of windows) Now the problem – since I arrived back home he has been onto me telling me that he cannot get a connection to the net.

The wireless connection seems fine and is showing a strong signal but no internet

Have got him to repair the connection and that did not work. (I had to do this at the beginning of the set up today but thought it was just one of those things).

I had it working fine on my own set up last night without any of the problems – maybe the Netgear and the Netopia don’t work too well together?

Any suggestions as to what could be the problem.?

(I am assuming that his internet connection is ok as boards has no posts about Eircom problems at the moment)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Disable Zone Alarm or maybe uninstall it (I've seen occasions where it still blocks connections when disabled). See if that helps.
    Can he still access the router admin over the wireless connection?
    If he can, get him to manually assign the connection (TCP/IP) details in Windows with the following details:
    IP - 192.168.1.50
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway - 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS - 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS - 213.94.190.236
    Apply and reboot.
    There shouldn't be a conflict between Netgear and Netopia.
    See if any of that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sounds like a case of PEBTAC I'm afraid, check the WPA settings again as there is where you'll most likely find your solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Sounds like a case of PEBTAC I'm afraid
    First thing I thought of too actually.

Advertisement