Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Internet on Ubuntu

• 01-06-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    When using a browser in Ubuntu the pages load very slowly. Its strange because its only slow when switching to a different server. Links which lead to a page on the same site work as usual but anything which links to another server takes bout a minute to load. Anybody know why this is?
    Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

This is almost definitely a problem with ipv6.
    It occurs often in recent linux distros.
    What happens is ipv6 is enabled by default,
    but your system has no ipv6 nameserver available,
    so it times out before getting the ipv4 name resolved.

Try looking in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases for a line like
    alias net-pf-10 ipv6

If you find it, change it to
    alias net-pf-10 off and reboot.
    This is one of the few configuration changes that requires a reboot under linux.

If it's not there, post back - there are a few other places it might be hiding,
    notably /etc/modutils/aliases, or /etc/modules.conf

Hope that's the answer,
    good luck.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I tried this too and it seemed to make some improvement when web browsing - thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Ok, I found the file you mentioned but it won't let me edit it. When I open it in the text editor any keys I press do not show up on the screen.

Edit

The file permissions only allow the owner to write to the file. I thought this would mean that I can write to it but at the bottom of the page it says "you are not the owner".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That file is owned by root. Use "sudo" before the edit command - for example, if you're using nano to edit it, type "sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/aliases", and give your password when prompted.

Advertisement