Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The destruction of our heritage

Options
  • 01-06-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

The destruction of our heritage

Spike Island has once again being ear marked for a prison.

Yet it is steeped in history, Irish History from some of our darkest days.

Cork Harbour hosts the headquarters of the Irish Navy. Prior to the transfer of the treaty ports, Cork Harbour was an important base for the Royal Navy.
    The first fortifications were built in Cork Harbour in the 17th century, although these were primarily to protect Cork City. In the 18th century, fortifications were built on Haulbowline Island to protect the anchorage in Cobh. Fort Camden and Fort Carlisle at opposite sides of the harbour entrance were built during the American War of Independence.
    However, the harbour's military significance began during the Napoleonic Wars when the naval establishment in Kinsale was transferred to Cork Harbour. The harbour became an important anchorage, which could be used to guard the entrance to the English Channel and maintain the blockade of France. At this time, the naval dockyard on Haulbowline Island was constructed as well as a fort on Spike Island (later to become Fort Westmoreland) and a number of Martello Towers around the harbour.
    The fortifications were developed throughout the 19th century and a further fort, Fort Templebreedy, was added to the south of Fort Camden at the beginning of the 20th century..
    At the time of Irish independence, Cork Harbour was included, along with Berehaven and Lough Swilly, in a list of British naval establishments that would remain under the control of the Royal Navy, although, the naval dockyard on Haulbowline Island was handed over to the Irish Free State in 1923.
    Although, the Royal Navy appreciated the location of Cork Harbour, particularly for submarines, which had a significantly shorter range in the 1920s, maintenance of the fortification became a problem as soon as Ireland had become independent. The political uncertainty over the future of the treaty ports meant that the British government was not inclined to invest in their upgrade. Also, at the time of their construction, nobody had considered the possibility of air attack and as they were unable to expand, there was no possibility of adding adequate air cover. Finally, if the Irish Free State was hostile during any conflict, the treaty ports would have to be supplied by sea rather than land, wasting resources.
    In March 1938, the British government announced that the treaty ports would be handed over to Ireland unconditionally. On July 11, 1938, the defences at Cork Harbour were handed over to the Irish military authorities at a ceremony attended by taoiseach Eamon de Valera.
    Since, being handed over to the Irish military most of the military installations have become unused. Fort Carlisle was renamed Fort Davis and is no longer in use. Fort Camden became Fort Meagher and has also gone out of use. Fort Westmoreland became Fort Mitchell Spike Island prison, but is currently out of service. However, the fortifications on Haulbowline Island have been maintained an are now the headquarters of the Irish Navy.
    As an Ex-Service man who was stationed on Spike Island in 1980, I was appalled at the conditions, but like all my comrades we made the most of it. We lived in billets about 60’ x 20’, and the only source of heat was one small fire place. The toilets were installed sometime in the 1800’s c 1856. There was only one modern shower shared between c 200 servicemen, although there was a shower block heated by a coal burning boiler, this was also installed c 1856.

The Fort itself was an amazing place, with gun emplacements, tunnels and even a gallows in the shower block. As young men we were always curious about the island and spent many an hour exploring it. On the east side of the island is a cemetery which we believe was used to bury Irish man and women who were bound for Van Demons Land (Australia) as this was the set off point for these poor unfortunate people. Each grave is marked with a simple slate and a surname etched on it, nothing else.

I strongly believe that this island should be conserved, and after the last time they tried to put prisoners over there they ran riot burning some of the historic buildings, and this was even after the place was done up as it was found to be un-fit for human habitation, even after Navan and Army personnel had lived and worked there for years.

So please join me in trying to save this historic piece of Irish Real Estate, after all it is a piece of our past.

Alan Finan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I ageee, an architectural stucture of this finery should be saved indeed. What is the situation at the moment with the other 2 treaty ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aleshiaclub25

my name is pauline cullen i was amoung the families living in spike island and although only a child i remember when the prisoners took to riot it was a disturbing time and if i can do anything to help to stop this being a prison again please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Researcher_eile

Hi there,

To AlanF and Alishia, I am currently doing some research on the island and would be extremely interested in speaking to you both. I am working on a television programme about the island. I'd be most appreciative if you could email me at the following address so we could discuss matters:

muirisofiannachta@gmail.com

Many thanks!

Advertisement