Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addressed Junk Mail from GAA

Options
  • 01-06-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, please move if needs be. Thanks

I recently received an addressed advertisement from our local GAA via the main GAA headquarters at Croke Park informing me they had basically given my details to a telephone services provider - Gaelic Telecom - and that I should support my local GAA by using this provider. My mother in law got one too. The letter said I would be contacted within a few days by a rep from this company and that if I did not wish to be contacted I should ring some 1890 number to say so.

Now I am not now nor have I ever been a member of any GAA club or society nor has my mother in law.
    What gives them the right to do this ?
    Are clubs entitled to send what is essentially junk mail to people who have not requested it ?
    Can they then sell/give/share this info with other companies ?

I'm sick enough getting f***ing leaflets by the bagload every day without this rubbish joining it, I've often felt like slitting the tyres of the Leaflet Company vans when I see them !! :mad:

I was at my m-i-l house when the rep called and overheard the conversation - the rep was very determined despite my m-i-l making it quite clear from the outset that she wasn't interested, took her several minutes to get rid of him.

I should point out here that I am extremely careful to deny use of my details on any form I fill out. I'm just waiting now for the influx of calls from all sorts of sellers !!

ZEN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah I got a flyer in the door the other day offering a free quotation for new soffits and guttering. I returned the freepost envelope blank, which costs them money.

You mother-in-law needs to HANG UP! Or else just pop the phone down on the counter and go and make a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fun thing to do is act all interested and ask them to hang on a sec while you get some details and then see how long they'll stay on the phone before they hang up....my record is 7min ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sleipnir wrote:
    Yeah I got a flyer in the door the other day offering a free quotation for new soffits and guttering. I returned the freepost envelope blank, which costs them money.

You mother-in-law needs to HANG UP! Or else just pop the phone down on the counter and go and make a cup of tea.

I wrap up the old telephone directories and stick the freepost envelope to the front - they will have to fund the postage when the parcel arrives. :)

Book Club of Ireland - did the same years ago but sent them a pile of old worthless schoolbooks from the 1980s instead - haven't heard from them since. :D

Many companies are getting wiser though and you won't see as many freepost envelopes these days.

Advertisement