Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee

Options
  • 01-06-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if george lee has a book out? Cant seem to find any details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

no but i assumed you just watched the show, savage wasnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Superb wasn't it. George Lee is an underrated national treasure in my opinion. He managed to fit a lot into an hour with perfect clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I watched the show last night and everything he said was true and correct and I agree that we had a celtic tiger but we dont know, what we have is a false celtic tiger driven by credit.

What has changed based on last nights programme:

1. Government have become self centred again and not working for the benefit of economy competitiveness.
    2. Wages have triple - reducing are economy competitiveness.
    3. We still not have a proper infrastructure - reducting are economic comptetitiveness.
    4. People got greedy - harvet while the times are good.
    5. The governement got greedy.

The government has done nothing whatsoever to build a sustainability strategy from day one. Sat back and took credit for a lucky stroke they played.

"An Irish Solution to an Irish Problem."

Manufacturing industry is the life blood of any economy,without it a country cant survive, this is basic economics - exports have got to be greater than imports. It time the Government started to develop strategies for irish owned manufacturing businesses.

Reading the Business Post about the social pay agreement where they want to broker a deal which would be higher than inflation. Are we mad!!

There should be more TV programmes of this type.

Recently my friends, girlfriend and myself have been thinking about moving to the UK as there is better paid jobs there for us and a better quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He was so right about the decline of productive industry and agriculture; if we're not producing and selling stuff as before, them what exactly is it we do for a living?; Q the property boom- we can't keep building 80000 houses a year as one commentator rightly pointed out.
    The IDA refocusing and rebranding of Ireland frankly can't come soon enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Recently my friends, girlfriend and myself have been thinking about moving to the UK as there is better paid jobs there for us and a better quality of life.[/QUOTE]

I lived in the UK for 12 years and yearned to move back 'home' to little old Ireland with the mammy and tea and bread and Tayto crisps and decent pints, now I'm thinking why did I bother!, if it wasn't for family I'd go back to London, it's a more mature place to be because money is there but they don't glorify it like we do - Ireland has changed for the worst in my view, it's prosperous but is it better!...I don't want the 80's back but we've lost something along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I thought it was a great show. I'm fed up with people shoving their "wealth" in my face when they've clearly just borrowed for everything they own.

Its bloody madness.

mox54 wrote:
    Recently my friends, girlfriend and myself have been thinking about moving to the UK as there is better paid jobs there for us and a better quality of life.

mox54 wrote:
    I lived in the UK for 12 years and yearned to move back 'home' to little old Ireland with the mammy and tea and bread and Tayto crisps and decent pints, now I'm thinking why did I bother!, if it wasn't for family I'd go back to London, it's a more mature place to be because money is there but they don't glorify it like we do - Ireland has changed for the worst in my view, it's prosperous but is it better!...I don't want the 80's back but we've lost something along the way.

My dad's side of the family is from Surrey, I go over there as much as i can,but while am over there I read the job ads and property section, everything seems so better off, as you said mature.

I am an accountant and the girlfriend is a nurse, so you might be an interesting move, although many people in the 80's where forced to move they where probably better off in the long run.

Does anyone speak chinese because now is the time to start learning.

The amount of people you see driving expensive cars knowing that they cant afford it is crazy in this country, there is only one winner from all this and this will be the banks. No doubt about it.

Ireland is a beautiful wee country its such a shame that so many people are blind to see the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Anyone notice that the only guy been relatively optimistic was the genius selling one bedroom appartments for 450k. Except it wasn't just an appartment, it was a "lifestyle". Have you ever heard such crap. I rented that lifestyle for four years, believe me, it ain't woth 450k.

By the way George Lee is doing a live webchat on rte.ie at 1 o'clock today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ya saw the show it was very good, George Lee is a really good economist and explains things very well. Pity he doesn have a book out

• Advertisement

In London good jobs are plentyful and I mean good jobs, quality jobs working with very professional progressive firms and nice people who'll look after you if you look after them - mortgages are plentyful with a good job and you can live in a nice area - it's a great city to be in if you live in the right place - not Hackney or Dalston or Darford etc.

These guys have seen it all before and respect people who can deliver and not simply build a hursing home because of some get rich quick scheme - if anyone fancies replying ' why don't you fu%k back there then'...I'd say I would but I have family and business to take care of otherwise I'd try it again.

:rolleyes:

mox54 wrote:
    In London good jobs are plentyful and I mean good jobs, quality jobs working with very professional progressive firms and nice people who'll look after you if you look after them - mortgages are plentyful with a good job and you can live in a nice area - it's a great city to be in if you live in the right place - not Hackney or Dalston or Darford etc.

These guys have seen it all before and respect people who can deliver and not simply build a hursing home because of some get rich quick scheme - if anyone fancies replying ' why don't you fu%k back there then'...I'd say I would but I have family and business to take care of otherwise I'd try it again.

:rolleyes:

Agreed, just came back from there on Tuesday, visiting a friend of mine who has just moved over there who has got a really good job and will be getting paid more than twice as much as me in Dublin. All the UK companies seem to give staff extra money for working in London but this doesn’t seem to happen in Ireland if you’re living in Dublin. Also IT graduates seem to get paid about €10,000 - €15,000 more in London, buts it’s not that much more expensive than Dublin, needless to say ill be moving over there in a year or two

I buy a lot of equipment from the UK now and I find them better priced than here even with the sterling difference and they have better customer service and so forth - you're correct about paid more for London, every job in the greater London area carries a London weighting which can be an extra 10-15% - it's madness to say it and it shows how much we've changed but if I was able to I'd go back no prob and I'd recommend going back as well -

we're no longer Paddies over there but can hold our head high :o - they know we're quality and will pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

I must say it very frustrating living in this country at the moment looking at property prices rise and rise (over 13% y-o-y). I can't blame people for seeking wage increases higher than inflation. I'm thinking of moving to the UK at least you can buy a house and car's are a hell of alot cheaper. A friend of mine who moved over 2yrs ago summed it up nicely in Ireland everything is expensive now no matter what the quality people just want to rip you off. In the UK you have choice you can get cheap accomodation.... it crap but it cheap in this country everything is expensive not matter what the qaulity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Thought it was a great show and RTE should do more like it.

It showed how the property boom has an impact on manufacturing when the manager of the engineering company was comparing the rent in Germany and Ireland. So its not just labour costs as you regularly hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Had a look at the web chat on rte.ie.
    He didnt answer my questions about the economy but he did answer questions about what type of car he drives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

George Lee is my hero. I'm an economics student, and I just love him. I had the pleasure of meeting him in college after a debate last year, and he's just the most lovely man one is ever likely to meet. He is, as MG puts it, "an underrated national treasure".

So a does he have a book then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just watched the "boom" show on Realplayer.. it's grim viewing and hard to dispute imho.

The water is coming over the hill!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

PDelux wrote:
    Had a look at the web chat on rte.ie.
    He didnt answer my questions about the economy but he did answer questions about what type of car he drives :)

He answered my question: Is the Celtic Tiger really dead? and then a more appropriate question from someone else: Was he being just a bit too negative?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wonder how lucky we all are that an intellectual like Alan Dukes was party leader of Fine Gael at the time of the cost cutting.

Compare America atm.. brainless person in charge..no-one to reign him in..global economy going to pot- what happens when dumb americans vote in dumb presidants. Oil money and GBush - world economy suffers - bah

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

It was certainly very beneficial to the country that he was there at the time. It was a very difficult stance to take, but he looked beyond party politics and saw the much bigger picture.

darkman2 wrote:
    He answered my question: Is the Celtic Tiger really dead? and then a more appropriate question from someone else: Was he being just a bit too negative?:rolleyes:
    stick to the physics darkman :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Longfield wrote:
    I just watched the "boom" show on Realplayer.. it's grim viewing and hard to dispute imho.

The water is coming over the hill!!
    Anyone got a link to this please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

George Lee has been predicting the end of the Irish good times for 6 years so he can't back down now. Ditto David McWilliams and the housing crash. They will both be proved right one day. A stopped clock is right twice every day.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Imposter wrote:
    Anyone got a link to this please!

http://www.rte.ie/thetimeofourlives/boom.html

Link at bottom of page..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Thought this picture seemed apt :D

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joe sod

mox54 wrote:

I lived in the UK for 12 years and yearned to move back 'home' to little old Ireland with the mammy and tea and bread and Tayto crisps and decent pints, now I'm thinking why did I bother!, if it wasn't for family I'd go back to London, it's a more mature place to be because money is there but they don't glorify it like we do - Ireland has changed for the worst in my view, it's prosperous but is it better!...I don't want the 80's back but we've lost something along the way.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the UK is the great land of opportunity that it is made out to be in some of these postings. It has its own problems with declining manufacturing sector and loss of competitiveness and huge personal debt. As George Lee pointed out what we have experienced in the last 5 years has been a worldwide phenomenon with a huge wave of liquidity and ultra low interest rates. All the anglo saxon countries have experienced the same trend. Britain was a basket case in the seventies and early eighties and it also nearly went bankrupt. If global conditions change and interest rates rise substantially Britain will also be in big trouble.

joe sod wrote:
    I lived in the UK for 12 years and yearned to move back 'home' to little old Ireland with the mammy and tea and bread and Tayto crisps and decent pints, now I'm thinking why did I bother!, if it wasn't for family I'd go back to London, it's a more mature place to be because money is there but they don't glorify it like we do - Ireland has changed for the worst in my view, it's prosperous but is it better!...I don't want the 80's back but we've lost something along the way
    I don't think the UK is the great land of opportunity that it is made out to be in some of these postings. It has its own problems with declining manufacturing sector and loss of competitiveness and huge personal debt. As George Lee pointed out what we have experienced in the last 5 years has been a worldwide phenomenon with a huge wave of liquidity and ultra low interest rates. All the anglo saxon countries have experienced the same trend. Britain was a basket case in the seventies and early eighties and it also nearly went bankrupt. If global conditions change and interest rates rise substantially Britain will also be in big trouble.
    at least they have control over their monetary policy and have an independent currency .they are also among the world leaders in many industries/areas

• Advertisement

Is there anyway of downloading the programme from somewhere, i was looking up RTE but I cant find it.

Advertisement