Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blank screen after win98 splash screen

• 01-06-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

System spec
    • 800MHz CPU
    • Onboard Intel Gfx
    • Dell system, can't remember model number

User experienced problem in title and has been using the system for a few years.

The system will boot into safe mode

I decided to format and reinstall win98se. After the installation I got back into windows. Windows didnt have the correct graphics driver by default so I installed the one off the dell cd and rebooted however the original problem then occured.

How come the pc suddenly doesnt like this driver? Could the video card be faulty?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you can still go into safe mode, remove the drivers for the graphics card and install the default vga drivers. If this allows you to boot back into windows normally then you may have a gfx card or driver problem. Its also possible that you are putting the refresh rate at something which the monitor can't handle, hench the black screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Well they wouldnt have gone changing the refresh rate so I wonder how the problem originally occured?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Patrick wrote:
    Well they wouldnt have gone changing the refresh rate so I wonder how the problem originally occured?
    Who knows, but i'd try that sequence to eliminate each part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

are you sure you installed the right driver - dell seemed to have gone out of their way to confuse people on some of them

IIRC displayfallback=1 in system.ini will get you in in normal mode

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Thanks for all the replies. I found a place in the bios where you choose your video controller to be PCI to onboard and it's working now

• Advertisement
Advertisement