Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 routers on Eircom ADSL

• 01-06-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

i have recently moved back in home after college and i need to get bb setup in my bedroom. The main pc is downstairs next to the main phone socket and uses the Netopia Router from Eircom, i have a phone socket in my room too which is on the same line. I tried to setup a Netgear Router in my room but it didn't seem to work out for me. The adsl light came on for a brief second and stayed out, i have filters setup on all the phone sockets.

So is it possible to have 2 routers on the one line?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

i have recently moved back in home after college and i need to get bb setup in my bedroom. The main pc is downstairs next to the main phone socket and uses the Netopia Router from Eircom, i have a phone socket in my room too which is on the same line. I tried to setup a Netgear Router in my room but it didn't seem to work out for me. The adsl light came on for a brief second and stayed out, i have filters setup on all the phone sockets.

The short answer is no. If you want to use the netgear in your room you will have to totally disconnect the one downstairs - I have found that just having it switched off is not enough.

If you need to have the two of them on together you will have to go wireless or ethernet to one router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

I have exactly the same setup as you. I went wireless, taking the netopia upstairs and putting the wireless adapter into the pc downstairs. worked well enough when i did that last year. i am going to set it up again in a coule of days...i remember having a difficult time doing that though last year. i have a netgear router too (though wireless) and it seems quite decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i have my netgear upstairs and i have a usb wireless adopter downstairs. My room is the first one at the top of the stairs and the wireless pc is the room closest to the bottom of the stairs (distance of about 8m) but i get a very weak signal and the connection drops a lot. Would i be better off getting a PCI wirless card instead of the usb adopter, would it make much difference to the signal strength?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

sheeesh...not sure there man. my wireless card is PCI...i am a similar distance but my signal is full all the time.....whether that relates to whether itsPCI or USB i don't know myself, i'm not up on the technical side i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

alright no bother MM, hopefully someone will give me some info by the weekend on it. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

the range of a usb wireless adapter is not as good a pci card version. i have used both methods and finf the pci a better option.

Advertisement