Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Explorer problem

• 01-06-2006 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I don't know if this is the right forum, please move it if I'm in the wrong place. Anyway my girlfriend is having trouble with her computer. She's running WinXP Home and using Firefox for her internet. Whenever she opens Firefox, a pop-up opens in Internet Explorer for something called "first ad solution" and opens up www.saxobank.com. I've googled both of these and I haven't found anything helpful. She's run AdAware and McAffee but neither got rid of it. Understandably, this is annoying her immensely and I'm at a loss. Can anyone help? I'm guessing it's something nasty hiding on her hard drive somewhere but I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&q=%22first+ad+solution%22&btnG=Search

get spybot search & destroy and give it a run, should clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

download ewido first of all. its free and the best spyware killer you will get.

then restart your computer in safe mode. (if u need help on doing this tell me)

then run ewido - it takes AGES but it will more than likely get rid of your problem.

After you run it start your computer in normal mode again

if this doesnt work (although it should) let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's a long time before I've started a computer in safe mode. Is it holding down F5 during start up or something?

and just to add i dont think that Spybot will get rid of the problem.

im an expert on computer security and im quiet sure that id AdAware didnt get it then Spybot wont. That "first ad solutions" is a browser hijacker and more than likely wont get noticed by Spybot.

I, personally wouldnt use McAfee myself but have you tried using ZoneAlarm? You can download a free Zonealarm firewall and it does a great job. Tell you everything that wants to access the internet, that would allow you to put a stop to Internet Explorer opening with www.saxobank.com

You should get rid of the problem with Ewido easily though

well you can start the computer as normal and keep pressing f7 OR ELSE just do this, its easier.

click on start
    Click on run
    enter "msconfig"

A screen will then open
    click on "diagnostic startup"
    then click ok
    then it will ask you to restart
    do it!!

should all work

make sure you have ewido downloaded first now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thanks a million, I'll give this a go over the weekend. If the karma system was still in place I'd be showering you with positive vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

FYI Safe Mode is accessed by pressing F8 at start up.

Advertisement