Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Powerbox for an Audi Tdi. Any thoughts on this seller?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to pick up a tuning box/powerbox for my 2002 Audi A4 TDi. Any comment's on the following site? http://mal-electronics.com/html/englisch.html

I "think" my TDI is the 110bph model and if so this powerbox is only €150 (http://mal-electronics.com/Audi.pdf). Can I ask:

1/ Is this a good buy?

2/ What do I check to make 100% sure my car is the 110BPH?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Imo you would be better off getting an ECU remap. The VW Tdi engines are very suitable for ECU remaps. The ECU remap is a bit more expensive than a tuning box but from speaking with people who had their TDi remapped they have had no complaints.

I don't know anything about the company that sells that tuning box or the box itself so I cannot comment directy on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi

I bought one earlier this year from these guys in germany for my Octavia Tdi (110bhp). It says it will boost to 135bhp but I am not sure. It worked for the first couple of months (some nice pickup) but the boost has trailed off since. It just increases full intake by fooling the ECU to leave valves etc. open and increase pressure in the engine to keep the boost up so you dont have flat spots.

To me its a very crude piece of kit (I paid 80 euro) as its just a little circuit board with a type of resistor/pot to turn the boost up or down.

They delivered in good time, but they made a mistake with the order and sent two!!

Let me know if you do get one and what type of performance improvement you get.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Hi

To me its a very crude piece of kit (I paid 80 euro)
    B

In fairness, you paid 80 quid. What do you expect!

www.tuningbox.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Balls wrote:
    In fairness, you paid 80 quid. What do you expect!

www.tuningbox.com

All the tuning boxes work on the same pinciple, all are pretty crude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I wouldn't buy one myself, I think a remap is far better value for money but it does depend on how they are set up and how much you paid.

A Micra and a 911 Turbo both work on the same principle, they both have four wheels and an engine. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i've had a couple of B5 audis. as far as i know, with the 2002 model- all silver TDI is 100bhp and TD(red)I is 130 bhp. i am open to correction on that.
    apparently Tunit tuning boxes are a little more thought out, but i don't know. the guy who had my last A4 before me had a tuning box and reckoned it disagreed with the engine and he stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Try this guy he's based in Tipperary www.griffinmotortuning.net. You should gain somewhere between 25 & 30 bhp. Email him as his site is fairly new so he hasn't got all cars listed yet.

Advertisement