Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal age of consent

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eye_is_james

Sex outside of marriage is forbidden in Islam, but as far as I'm aware, marriage is permissable for each sex on attainment of puberty.

I hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

From my perspective, if there is no explanation for a having a different rule for one gender – like special grace being given to women who support their homes – the only conclusion I can reach is that the doctrine is saying divine will demands gender inequality. Simply redefining the word ‘equality’ to include different treatment without any clear reason does not make it equality. This is not to say that equality or inequality is the correct doctrine -just that the answer to the question "Does Islam preach gender equality?" looks to be "Not as the word 'equality' is commonly understood".
    the_new_mr wrote:
    I hope that that statement is not read in the wrong way and I would like to reiterate that I welcome everyone here and everyone's participation.
    Your statement is very clear and your sincerity and willingness to discuss your faith is laudable.

Just to clarify where I’m coming from (as I probably won’t be hanging around much longer) over the past few months I have been finding out what I can about Islam, broadly corresponding to the objective of finding out about the faith as people deserve a fair hearing. My conclusion in my last post probably is incompatible with the forum charter but, for what its worth, it’s where the discussion leaves me. But I’ve no intention of pursuing that view here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Victor wrote:
    How old is that tradition?
    That's a good point Victor! Thanks, I didn't think of that :)

A quick check reveals that the command from God to confirm the wearing of a veil in Surat Al-Nour was revealed in Medina whereas the Prophet (peace be upon him) had the wedding ceremony in Mecca (and, as we have previously said, this was not the time of consummation).
    Schuhart wrote:
    From my perspective, if there is no explanation for a having a different rule for one gender – like special grace being given to women who support their homes – the only conclusion I can reach is that the doctrine is saying divine will demands gender inequality. Simply redefining the word ‘equality’ to include different treatment without any clear reason does not make it equality. This is not to say that equality or inequality is the correct doctrine -just that the answer to the question "Does Islam preach gender equality?" looks to be "Not as the word 'equality' is commonly understood".
    That's fair enough. I guess you've actually come up with a good statement that I may use myself in the future... if ya don't mind ;)

I guess it's fairer to say that God holds men and women as equals on this earth but that their roles may be different in some situations as well as some religious rulings. That's not hard line gender stereotyping but more a guidance to a way of life.

The only problem is that saying that Islam promotes gender inequality may give the wrong impression that God sees one sex in higher esteem than the other. Still, I guess that "Not as the word 'equality' is commonly understood" goes somewhat to creating a better understanding.
    Schuhart wrote:
    the_new_mr wrote:
    I hope that that statement is not read in the wrong way and I would like to reiterate that I welcome everyone here and everyone's participation.
    Your statement is very clear and your sincerity and willingness to discuss your faith is laudable.
    I'm glad that you understand my intentions. Text can be so easily misinterpreted and, upon reading what I wrote, it does sound like I went on a bit of a rant (although I hadn't) so apologies for that.
    Schuhart wrote:
    Just to clarify where I’m coming from (as I probably won’t be hanging around much longer) over the past few months I have been finding out what I can about Islam, broadly corresponding to the objective of finding out about the faith as people deserve a fair hearing. My conclusion in my last post probably is incompatible with the forum charter but, for what its worth, it’s where the discussion leaves me. But I’ve no intention of pursuing that view here.
    Well, your position on finding out Islam for yourself (and from Muslim sources) is laudable in itself. In this day-in-age that we live in with Islamaphobia being fed to the masses by the corrupt media on an almost daily basis, it's a breath of fresh air to see people reject those ideas and find out for themselves.

I would hope that you have had some of the general misunderstandings eradicated while you were here and I hope that you don't leave altogether. I worry that my last post may be seen to be some kind of stamping on free speech or something. I'm all for free speech but we just want fair speech :) You're always welcome here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_new_mr wrote:
    I worry that my last post may be seen to be some kind of stamping on free speech or something. I'm all for free speech but we just want fair speech :) You're always welcome here.
    I don't agree with some of your positions, but I must say you can't be fairer than that. For future reference, if you want a general definition and comparison of a rant check out my posts here and eleswhere. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement