Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French...

Options
  • 02-06-2006 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Just sat down to French yesterday, and I've realised that apart from the message writing, I really don't have a clue what to prepare. I presume the French riots will be in there somewhere so I'll learn some stuff on that, but apart from that I'm clueless. I prepared some phrases on drugs too, and I have notes on tobacco, alcohol & young people, stress of exams, parents...the usual sort of stuff.

Obviously no one knows what's coming up, but does anyone have any 'inclinations'? I presume a letter will be on there as there wasn't one on last years paper - the first year they didn't ask for one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Something about obesity and road accidents should get you through. I reckon Wayne Rooney should cover both obesity and the World Cup;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

yeh im dcompletely ****ed...like what to learn like narratives or what/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

nedward wrote:
    I reckon Wayne Rooney should cover both obesity and the World Cup;)

stars-1.gif
    It's weird, I always laugh when someone makes a Rooney obesity joke, but it's always at the person making it, not at the 'joke'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=obesity

Anyway, as for the french, we're all screwed. What I normally do (for Q1 anyway) is 'borrow' useful phrases from the comprehension, as usually they're quite relevant to the whole paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

ya, expect sumthin bout de riots. aslso somthin bout road sayety (it cud be a comprehension) because in the last year or 2 frtance have reduced significantly their road deaths.
    i also heard to expect a formal letter of complaint (to hotel, restaurant or campsite) so that might be worth preparin but no gaurantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

My study consists of going over tenses and getting a few good stock phrases. One thing that I'm doing before the exam is reading an article from our book to get me into a French mindset.

Letters are something I need to bone up on now that I see it mentioned. That ending sentence especially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Veuillez agréer, Monsieur, l'expression de mes sentiments distingues

i have learnt nothing else.. :o
    seeing you guys post here has made me hate French even more!
    you and your... preparation! ;)

ahahhaaa... i reeeeally should..
    but meh.. its my spare subject.. only use it if everythign else goes wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Je vous prie d'agréer, Monsieur, l'expression de mes sentiments distingués, hehe it's funny that is really the only thing I know off by heart in french!

I forgot about French completly til i read this post!

I'm hoping something about immigrants will come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Rockerette wrote:
    you and your... preparation! ;)

There's only so much preparation that you can do when you compare it to Maths or Chemistry for example. It's not like Irish where you have prescribed poetry and stories. A few good phrases, basic tenses and the gender of common nouns is what I will be studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

grimloch wrote:
    A few good phrases, basic tenses and the gender of common nouns is what I will be studying.

That's pretty much all you can do is learn phrases and tenses. I prefer to not learn too many phrases cos it's obvious then where they are compared to the normal ****e french that I write.

Advertisement