Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synergie bb

• 02-06-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

anyone heard o this? me oul' lad thinking of getting rid of eircom and getting this.....any comments or suggestions? never heard o them myself.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cinergi they are called , another imagine I'd say. Looks good but far to many sneaky hidden BS ways of making you pay.

and they pimped themselves ultra large in here and on every board in Ireland when they launched , just like imagine and IBB in fact :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

ah fair enough thanks man....i'll have to do some deep research and read all the smallprint;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Diego Armando

Spongebob.. An " I'd Say " is really not good enough on a forum of this stature.... be exact and accurate or stay at home !

I've been using Cinergi Broadband and phone for quiet a while now.
    Prior to using their service, I spoke with one of their sales consultants.
    She was extremely honest and didn't pressurise me into using their service at all. As she said herself, we want "long-term happy customers", and todate, everything she told me has been proven accurate.

Thank you.
    Diego Armando...... not the original !!

PPS.
    Imagine has lots of different hidden costs... I have found that Cinergi Telecom has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Them is brave words from someone who is a first time poster. Fear thee the wrath of . . erm . . Spongebob ??!

I'm going to guess you are pimping for this company, so tell us all the things they told you that came true.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Diego Armando

Ah.. ha !!

Sorry if I touched a nerve there Mr.Zen !!
    'Must dissapoint you .. 'just pimping the money and hassle they have saved me... nothing else. .. and your agenda ?

Oiche mhaith anois !! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement

You still haven't told us what they promised you . . . !?

I have no agenda but I'm always intrigued when companies call me up swear blind they can save me lots of money on my bill, but after a few minutes realise they can't. What makes your company any different ?

I'm always suspicious of phone companies who quote Eircoms standard rates, rather than the discounted rates many of their customers get, to try to hoodwink prospective customers.

My accusation of pimping stands by the way . . .

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

ZENER wrote:
    I'm always suspicious of phone companies who quote Eircoms standard rates, rather than the discounted rates many of their customers get, to try to hoodwink prospective customers.
    Now who's pimping?

If so many of eircoms customers are getting discounted rates, why don't they lower their "standard rates" and pull the rug out from under their competitors?

Because many of eircoms customers might be entitled to discounted rates, but they don't get them unless they hassle for them, and most customers don't even know that such discounted rates are available, so they effectively can't get them.

McRedmond has beentrotting out this "discounted rates" guff for a while now, but you'll notice that he hasn't given any numbers to back this up (not that you'd want to live or die by any numbers he'd spout, but that's another story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In fairness, Diego Armando is the one and only pimp around here. And if SpongeBob's word is not good enough around here, then stop reading the forum, because there are little more than a handful of poeple, literally, more qualified to speak about comms around here.

Cinergi, like most other new small telcos including the aforementioned Imagine!, offer better value for money than eircom. In BB terms they simply resell eircom products, which may pose problems if you have any support issues, or line issues. There's been little or no feedback from Cinergi BB customers on this forum, so I for one don't know how good/bad they are. I wait for feedback from real users before making judgement.

One thing that did worry me about Cinergi was that there was no T&C on the site, that I could find anyway. So no details of exit charges, minimum contract duration, etc.

.cg

cgarvey wrote:
    One thing that did worry me about Cinergi was that there was no T&C on the site, that I could find anyway. So no details of exit charges, minimum contract duration, etc.
    I just went to www.cinergi.ie, clicked on Sign Up, selected Home User as the customer type, and there at the bottom is a link that says
    Have you read and understood the terms and conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sponge Bob wrote:
    cinergi they are called , another imagine I'd say. Looks good but far to many sneaky hidden BS ways of making you pay.

and they pimped themselves ultra large in here and on every board in Ireland when they launched , just like imagine and IBB in fact :(
    I've had cinergi on the phone for quite a while now they are a good company, how about some experience with them before posting crap like that ;)

assumptions are never a good answer to give someone who is thinking of putting their confidence in a service

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    I just went to www.cinergi.ie, clicked on Sign Up, selected Home User as the customer type, and there at the bottom is a link that says

That T&C leads to this URL below , if you READ them you would see that they are WLR/CPS T&Cs . There ARE no BB T&Cs anywhere on that site that I can find so check them again!

http://www.cinergitelecom.com/98.0.html

Do not sign for thise shower until they publish their T&Cs and until they stop pimping in here ....as they did around when they launched their website.

In fact I even caught one of the Cinergi pimps before he had posted (as the mods can confirm if they are bothered :D )

Sponge Bob wrote:
    That T&C leads to this URL below , if you READ them you would see that they are WLR/CPS T&Cs . There ARE no BB T&Cs anywhere on that site that I can find so check them again!

Do not sign for thise shower until they publish their T&Cs and until they stop pimping in here ....as they did around when they launched their website.

In fact I even caught one of the Cinergi pimps before he had posted (as the mods can confirm if they are bothered :D )

they are a decent company, don't know what you are ranting on about. I'm sure they have their T&C's (btw there are BB conditions there if you look it mentions obscene content etc etc etc) availiable somewhere they just haven't published them yet on the site. Secondly they are just reselling eircoms product so what can be so incredibly bad about them...

Jakkass wrote:
    (btw there are BB conditions there if you look it mentions obscene content etc etc etc)
    If you're referring to 6.1.2 and 10.5.4, they're more related to the telephone service and are pretty standard across all phone services. If it was for BB, there'd be at least the mention of Spam, Internet, or Broadband, and there's not.
    Jakkass wrote:
    Secondly they are just reselling eircoms product so what can be so incredibly bad about them...

*cough* BT

Sponge Bob wrote:

Sigh. www.cinergi.ie, click on Broadband, click on Exising Customer.
    Have you read and understood the terms and conditions?

No need to apologise there, Muck, I already knew you weren't infallible, even if Mr Garvey thinks that the sun shines out your arse.
    Sponge Bob wrote:

"until they stop pimping" - any cinergi users who have anything positive to say are automatically pimps, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Foxwood wrote:
    "until they stop pimping" - any cinergi users who have anything positive to say are automatically pimps, are they?
    IMHO it reeks of being a get-rich-quick scheme. http://www.cinergitelecom.com/makemoney.0.html
    When I see any business with pages like that I will not trust anyone who says positive things about it because I will naturally suspect that they have a vested interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxwood wrote:
    They have got to be the shortest T&C's I've ever read. Very thin on detail. Funnily enough they read like a brief synopsis of UTV's terms.

Whether they have happy customers or not, I'd be very wary of signing up with them or any telco that sell a 3rd or 4th hand product.

cgarvey wrote:
    *cough* BT
    BT's service is excellent for me and they have never miscalculated my bill... so I can't reall complain about them

steve-o wrote:
    IMHO it reeks of being a get-rich-quick scheme. http://www.cinergitelecom.com/makemoney.0.html
    When I see any business with pages like that I will not trust anyone who says positive things about it because I will naturally suspect that they have a vested interest.
    btw its a franchise, if you didn't notice the banner on the top of their page. That means that people are able to sign up with them to resell their product it is still cinergi who are operating the accounts...

steve-o wrote:
    I have no idea how the Cinergi scheme works, but I'd be pretty surprised is "Diego Armando" benefits in any way from people signing up to Cinergi, unless he actually signs them up. So there isn't any obvious benefit to him of lying about a positive experience.

I'd share your scepticism of anyone who tried to get me sign up to any service if that person would get a "commission" for doing so. But given the essentially anonymous nature of communications on Boards, it looks to me like you'd need a far more overt action than just saying "it works for me" to justify a charge of pimping.

Foxwood wrote:
    As steve-o has already pointed out, they're very vague, espececially on the extra charges.
    Foxwood wrote:
    No need to apologise there, Muck, I already knew you weren't infallible, even if Mr Garvey thinks that the sun shines out your arse.
    Please grow up, and do us all a favour.
    Foxwood wrote:
    any cinergi users who have anything positive to say are automatically pimps, are they?
    Of course not. Obviously not. Someone with 2 posts who is very enthusiastic about a given product does look dodgy, and is typical of the telco pimping we see around here.
    Jakkass wrote:
    BT's service is excellent for me and they have never miscalculated my bill... so I can't reall complain about them
    Good, and I hope I haven't jinxed it. I was merely pointing out that just because you resell an eircom product, it doesn't mean you can't make an arse of it. BT have for an awful lot of people. We don't hear much about the happy customers here, but I'm sure there are loads of 'em too. Long may your good experience last.

.cg

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    As steve-o has already pointed out, they're very vague, espececially on the extra charges.
    FFS, would you ever get over yourself. Steve-o didn't comment on the T&C at all, kaizersoze did. He said they're short, he didn't say that they're vague. The only "missing detail" is how much the early termination fee is. (The "excess bandwith" charges are listed on the Broadband page). They're apparently in addition to the other T&C, because it appears that you can't get Cinergi broadband without getting their phone service (judging by the website, anyway), so most of the "missing " legalese is covered there - the Broadband terms are concise, and to the point, there's nothing "vague" about that.
    Please grow up, and do us all a favour.
    Oh, sorry, Mr Garvey, sir, for stepping on your toes, and pointing out that you're blowing smoke. I promise I won't do it again (if you promise to stop blowing smoke).
    Of course not. Obviously not. Someone with 2 posts who is very enthusiastic about a given product does look dodgy, and is typical of the telco pimping we see around here.
    Jaze, you really have this fixation with being right, even when the evidence right here in this thread contradicts you. The guy said that he didn't experience any high pressure sales tactics, and that everything that he was told has been proven acccurate, and that he's saved money using the service. That's hardly what I'd call "very enthusiastic".

Foxwood wrote:
    it appears that you can't get Cinergi broadband without getting their phone service
    So they do not sell €9.99 BB then. In order to qualify for €9.99 BB you must first pay Line Rental To Cinergi at the same rate as eircom and also route all your outbound calls into Cinergi. Then you may add on a €9.99 BB product.

I'm glad that after fulminating irrationally at all and sundry in this thread you finally found the 'sneaky' catch I mentioned in my first post once you read the T&Cs .

BT do sell €20 always on BB as advertised. You can sign up for that alone and not take any other services from BT and simply pay €20 a month to BT .....just like it says on the can. BT will not charge you if you break the cap. That is also well known.

Digiweb sell Metro Lite as advertised for €19.99 . They will throttle you back for the rest of that month if you break the cap but will not charge you extra. Nor will they insist you 'give' them your phone line.

I am leaving aside the issue of whether cinergi are better/cheaper in any way because it matters not.

The principle is that a company like Cinergi (and exactly as Imagine did in this forum about a year ago including the pimping ) issue a misleading headline offer when we who read the terms and compare broadly to other carriers terms know that its a mandatory bundle deal hidden behind the headline price.

What cgarvey and I both support is the principle of transparent pricing and clear T&Cs , I'd say <again> :p

Sponge Bob wrote:
    So they do not sell €9.99 BB then. In order to qualify for €9.99 BB you must pay Line Rental at the full eircom rate and route all your outbound calls into Cinergi.

I'm glad that after fulminating irrationally at all and sundry in this thread you finally found the 'sneaky' catch I mentioned in my first post once you read the T&Cs .

I am leaving aside the issue of whether cinergi are better/cheaper in any way because it matters not.

The principle is that a company like Cinergi (and exactly as Imagine did in this forum about a year ago including the pimping ) issue a misleading headline offer when we who read the terms and compare broadly to other carriers terms know that its a mandatory bundle deal hidden behind the headline price.

What cgarvey and I both support is the principle of transparent pricing and clear T&Cs , I'd say <again> :p

Actually they are just mentioning that the broadband is 9.99 in addition to the phone services, sure Eircom do that too by the way. I also know a good lot of happy imagine customers as well so please just leave the issue alone if you don't have any experience with Cinergi or Imagine.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    So they do not sell €9.99 BB then. In order to qualify for €9.99 BB you must pay Line Rental at the full eircom rate and route all your outbound calls into Cinergi.

BT do sell €20 always on BB as advertised. You can sign up for that alone and not take any other services from BT and simply pay €20 a month to BT .....just like it says on the can.
    Last time I checked, you needed to pay line rental to get BT broadband too. Doesn't matter whether you pay it to eircom, or to BT,or to Cinergi, for that matter, BT won't sell you broadband for €20 a month until you have a phone line that you pay rental on.

I think any rational readers (if there are any left), will recognize that the only people who are irrationally fulminating in this thread are the ones who have to twist other peoples words, and make unsupported claims rather than simply back down and admit that, oops, they made a mistake.

BT will not charge you if you break the cap. That is also well known.
    BT can't figure out how to bill you for going over the cap. You may have forgotten that they suspended some people for going over the cap a few months ago.
    Digiweb sell Metro Lite as advertised for €19.99 . They will throttle you back for the rest of that month if you break the cap but will not charge you extra. Nor will they insist you 'give' them your phone line.

If it doesn't matter whether they're cheaper or not, why are you getting in a tizzy over them charging for going over the cap?

Oh I forgot, its more of that irrational fulmination again. You can avoid all those self-contradictory, grasping-at-straws (and strawmen) arguments by simply admitting that you were wrong to shoot from the hip about the lack of T&Cs.

Which DSL provider includes the price of line rental in their headline price? (I know, one of those inconvenient little fact-thingies that gets in the way of your argument). And there's absolutely no way that you'd "accidentally" find yourself switched over to Cinergi for calls if you tried to sign up for their broadband - there's nothing particularly hidden about it - you can't submit the new customer form without explicitly signing your phone service over - if you select the "I do not agree" button, it won't accept the submission.

You've got a flea in your ear about Cinergi because someone oversold the service when it first came out. You've demonstrated a far stronger bias against Cinergi in this thread than anyone has in their favour. While you might consider your bias to be justified, the only posters who've claimed to have actual dealings with the company don't find your position to be justified, and the neutral observers have just seen you bring up a number of irrelevant (and self contradictory) points in an attempt to avoid admitting that you were wrong about the lack of T&Cs. Not what I'd consider a reputation enhancing technique, but then, I'm not given to irrational fulminating. (Though feel free to accurately quote me if you'd like to argue the toss).

Foxwood wrote:
    Last time I checked, you needed to pay line rental to get BT broadband too. Doesn't matter whether you pay it to eircom, or to BT,or to Cinergi, for that matter, BT won't sell you broadband for €20 a month until you have a phone line that you pay rental on.

I think any rational readers (if there are any left), will recognize that the only people who are irrationally fulminating in this thread are the ones who have to twist other peoples words, and make unsupported claims rather than simply back down and admit that, oops, they made a mistake.

BT can't figure out how to bill you for going over the cap. You may have forgotten that they suspended some people for going over the cap a few months ago.

If it doesn't matter whether they're cheaper or not, why are you getting in a tizzy over them charging for going over the cap?

Oh I forgot, its more of that irrational fulmination again. You can avoid all those self-contradictory, grasping-at-straws (and strawmen) arguments by simply admitting that you were wrong to shoot from the hip about the lack of T&Cs.
    Which DSL provider includes the price of line rental in their headline price? (I know, one of those inconvenient little fact-thingies that gets in the way of your argument). And there's absolutely no way that you'd "accidentally" find yourself switched over to Cinergi for calls if you tried to sign up for their broadband - there's nothing particularly hidden about it - you can't submit the new customer form without explicitly signing your phone service over - if you select the "I do not agree" button, it won't accept the submission.

You've got a flea in your ear about Cinergi because someone oversold the service when it first came out. You've demonstrated a far stronger bias against Cinergi in this thread than anyone has in their favour. While you might consider your bias to be justified, the only posters who've claimed to have actual dealings with the company don't find your position to be justified, and the neutral observers have just seen you bring up a number of irrelevant (and self contradictory) points in an attempt to avoid admitting that you were wrong about the lack of T&Cs. Not what I'd consider a reputation enhancing technique, but then, I'm not given to irrational fulminating. (Though feel free to accurately quote me if you'd like to argue the toss).

btw I totally agree with what you have to say, these people are just speaking before they have any evidence of actual bad stories about these ISP's. Perhaps they like seeing too much of their own posts on the forum :rolleyes:

BT don't charge me line rental, I'm with Cinergi on the phone and BT on the broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxwood wrote:
    Just a couple of points on the above....
    BT clearly show their prices with and without line rental.
    If you choose line rental from BT it's discounted to 15euro p/m
    You have the choice to sign up for calls and line rental or go with who ever you like (like Jackass did).
    They do not have a cancellation fee if you're outside contract.

On the Cinergy offer and the T&C's....
    I don't see a contract length mentioned anywhere except that 6 months is hinted in the T&C's.
    The charge for cancellation inside 6 months is not specified so you would be leaving yourself open to anything there.
    There is no cancellation procedure laid out.
    When you follow the "New Customer" route to sign up for BB you're not shown the BB T&C's. You have to go the "Existing Customer" route to see them.
    The only people covered by the BB T&C's are Cinergy themselves. No mention of any comeback the customer might have if the service isn't up to scratch or if they have a problem.

The company and the service might be fine but based on the above and what I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't touch the with a 40 foot pole, but to each their own. Anyone that signs up based on the information (or lack of it) on the website would be very foolish imho.

Foxwood wrote:
    Steve-o didn't comment on the T&C at all
    You're right, apologies to Steve-o .. point still stands (IMO) apart from that, even if you don't agree.

I don't see the contradicting evidence you're talking about. There is still a gross lack of clarity in the T&Cs, in my opinion. One can have an opinion whether or not one has direct experience with the subject, and it doesn't have to be ill-informed because of the lack of the direct experience. The OP wanted opinions, and he/she's got them now.

I hope Cinergi can deliver a top-class BB product, but the lack of clarity on some issues makes me form an opinion that they either have something to hide, or just aren't very professional (which a lot of small/new companies are, and remedy in time).

I agree with the point on line rent. I wish all telco's would include it (and ntl, etc.), but everyone quotes w/o LR so it's only fair to compare the 9.99 with BT's 20 quid, for sure.

Buyer beware (which is what OP is trying to be), clarity would help that. Cinergi, IMO, don't have that.

Hopefully the OP can form his/her own opinion based on the views here (snide remarks aside).

kaizersoze wrote:
    The only people covered by the BB T&C's are Cinergy themselves. No mention of any comeback the customer might have if the service isn't up to scratch or if they have a problem.
    I'm not going to bother dealing ith the other points, because they all hang on the same hypocritical point as this one - that is, you're criticising Cinergi on the basis of a comparison to BT, yet BTs T&Cs (if you can find them) also have "no mention of any comeback the customer might have if the service isn't up to scratch or if they have a problem".

There are lots of people who wouldn't touch BT with a 40 foot pole, based on the real experiences of posters here, and comprehensive T&Cs haven't done much to help there. (Not me, I'm a satisfied customer). Most people dealing with a new company will seek out some advice from others, and won't make their decisions purely on the basis of T&Cs. There are some people who are prepared to pay a few euro more for peace of mind on the hassle side (some boards posts even use eircom for this reason). If anyone who actually says "I'm a satisfied customer" gets dismissed as a "pimp", then this board loses some of it's value to users

As the one who initially made the pimping accusation I should probably support that accusation with a reason. It just seemed a coincedence that this guys first post was to such a thread and his second and last post to date was to the same thread. IMO that is someone with an agenda i.e. to pimp the company he/she owns/works for/represents. I don't know anything about his company so didn't make any direct comment about it, except to question his/her criticism of a respected boards members opinion.

I personally use Eircom for line and calls and IOL for broadband. To date I have had no call to complain, not once. If it ain't broke don't fix it !

I regularly get promo calls from companies like Smart, Perlico and <insert name> Telecoms promising the sun moon and stars but after a couple of questions realise they can't in fact save me any money at all ! This doesn't stop them from calling again though, "Hello my name is ?????? from blah telecom, can I speak to the bill payer ?" . . . . "No !!" hangs up !

Someone mentioned people seldom post complementing a company which is why most of the posts here tend to criticise services when they go wrong, an unfortunate fact of life, so to those like Foxwood who gets what he considers good service and/or value for money, and sings the praises, good for you ! But don't be blind to blatant pimping !

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement