Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis?? Are you kidding me or wha?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

This from Yahoo! news

LONDON (AFP) - The debut album by Oasis, the band that best spread the Britpop craze of the 1990s, has been voted the greatest album of all time in a major music poll published.

"Definitely Maybe," which featured chart-topping hits such as "Live Forever" and "Supersonic," beat "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the much-loved Beatles into second place in the survey of more than 40,000 music fans.

Another Beatles album, "Revolver," came third, followed by Radiohead's "OK Computer" and a second Oasis title, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?."

The poll to find the top 100 albums was organised by the book of "British Hit Singles and Albums" and music website NME.com, with votes coming from as far afield as New Zealand, Croatia and Colombia.

Fans were given no pre-ordained list to chose from in the survey, drawn up to celebrate 50 years of Britain's official albums chart.

David Roberts, editor of "British Hit Singles and Albums," said: "Usually these polls are full of records that people have only just bought because they are freshest in the mind.

"But this poll shows that the truly great albums always have longevity."

Only two albums in the top 20 were released in the past five years.

"Up the Bracket," the 2002 debut by drug-troubled bad boy Pete Doherty's former band The Libertines, is the newest album in 15th place.

Only two bands from the United States had an album in the best 20. Nirvana came sixth with "Nevermind" and The Strokes were 20th with "Is This It."

In seventh place was the Stone Roses' self-titled album, followed by Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" and The Smiths' "The Queen Is Dead."

"Definitely Maybe," which cost just 85,000 pounds (158,000 dollars, 124,000 euros) to produce, was released on August 30, 1994 and debuted at the top of the British chart a week later, with seven million copies selling worldwide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

and your point is.....?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It was a savage album. Up there with Fat of the Land by the prodigy (IMO)..Every song was top notch - a rareity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Personally I can't stand them. I'm guessing this is a UK only poll of a very specific audience. This sold 7 million world wide. Compare it with some other album sales...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Still if you like it, stop worrying that others do or don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'm with you TempestSabre, they suck donkeys! always have, always will!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

Beats me how a Beatles impersonator can beat the Beatles! Better, more influencial, more musically innovative than Sgt Peppers? Do me a favour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

ack sure it's only a poll...it only proves that loads of people love Oasis - it's not Gospel that it's the greatest album ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

polls/sales don't mean a thing. look at james blunt!

I can't get over how AC/DC's "Back in Black" is up there with the really big sellers. 40+ million worldwide. OMG! :D I know its a great album, but its funny all the same. Amazing what a flash album cover will do for you.
    1. "Hells Bells" – 5:12
    2. "Shoot to Thrill" – 5:17
    3. "What Do You Do for Money Honey" – 3:35
    4. "Givin' the Dog a Bone" – 3:31
    5. "Let Me Put My Love into You" – 4:15
    6. "Back in Black" – 4:15
    7. "You Shook Me All Night Long" – 3:30
    8. "Have a Drink on Me" – 3:58
    9. "Shake a Leg" – 4:05
    10. "Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" – 4:16

LOL

polls/sales don't mean a thing. look at james blunt!

Do we have to? Prefer not too thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

This poll holds no weight - Pete Doherty is on there.... point proven mefinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Maccattack wrote:
    This from Yahoo! news

LONDON (AFP) - The debut album by Oasis, the band that best spread the Britpop craze of the 1990s, has been voted the greatest album of all time in a major music poll published.

greatest album ever-no.
    probably best album released in 1994 though.
    from start to finish imo it is pure class. i'd still say stone rose first album is "greater" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness, everyone should own those 10 albums, all classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

see ac/dc are world renowned. theyre big in us,euope,obviously aussieland as well. back in black is unbelievable. i rem an interview with kurt cobain and one of the albums he mentioned as highly influnetial was back in black.
    I can't get over how AC/DC's "Back in Black" is up there with the really big sellers. 40+ million worldwide. OMG! :D I know its a great album, but its funny all the same. Amazing what a flash album cover will do for you.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Definitely Maybe and morning glory were outstanding albums and very few can compare to them. (this coming from someone who doesn't like oasis generally)

Only pearl jams Ten and nirvanas Nevermind really compare for all round brilliant albums. Achtung Baby and Fat of the land also deserve mention for the quality of all the songs put on.They're the only albums I can think off that I would listen to without hitting the skip button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

yeah like with all poles, theres deffinately a few weird choices
    numbers 15 is Up the bracket-The libertines and 38:franz ferdinand-franz ferdinand, 89:Spice-spice girls??????? Most of the rest are pretty good albums. I can't believe Bob Marley-Exodus didn't even make the top 100, thats just bizare. I supose it all depends on your taste in music but I'm amazed Underworld-200 nights off isn't on there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just five words tbh, list compiled by NME readers.

This poll holds no weight - Pete Doherty is on there.... point proven mefinks.

Heh, wasn't he voted (funnily enough) greatest rock and roll star of all time?! Hahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cremo wrote:
    just five words tbh, list compiled by NME readers.
    That's count 'em... four words!

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

basquille wrote:
    That's count 'em... four words!
    i count 5. sorry basq! :) (unless your gonna say NME isnt a word but an acronym, in which case you nerd)

Yeah that poll is completely irrelevent, as all top whatever polls are. but expecially those compiled by NME...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Smurfpiss wrote:
    Yeah that poll is completely irrelevent, as all top whatever polls are. but expecially those compiled by NME...

exactly, sure its just somethin to fill a couple of pages isnt it?

Also, by definition, its just a survey of a bunch of people's opinion, and if anyone takes that to heart....that they may choke on their £99.44 subscription fee!

Advertisement