Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT sent me 2 Routers... should I keep them both?

• 02-06-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

So I ordered broadband about a month ago and I got a router sent to my door eventually after ringing a few times because they were late sending it out. Then the next day I got another one...

Do you think I could keep the second one?! Will they realise their mistake and make me give it back?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

or will you be double billed ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sponge Bob wrote:
    or will you be double billed ????

I was thinking the same thing, knowing BT. Safest option is to tell them of their mistake and send one back. You don't need 2 crap routers anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What ever happened to commonsense and honesty? If you kept the second one what exactly would you do with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Be honest, but don't do BT any favours. Tell them the router is there, and that they should collect it if they want it back. If they want you to post it, ask them for payment for the postage and your time. (Sounds harsh, but they won't do you any favours, believe me.)

Make sure you get proof of collection/delivery!!!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I Will give ye 20 euro for it if its wireless. Bt are a massive telecoms company its like a drop in the ocean for them. Might actually cost them more than its worth to pick it up

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ken Shabby wrote:
    ask them for payment for the postage and your time. (Sounds harsh, but they won't do you any favours, believe me.)

Make sure you get proof of collection/delivery!!!

adam

It's a freepost address. I returned mine a year ago via the same method. If you tell them you're not going to return it they'll bill you, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i'd wait for BT to make the first move and act on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

far2gud wrote:
    I Will give ye 20 euro for it if its wireless. Bt are a massive telecoms company its like a drop in the ocean for them. Might actually cost them more than its worth to pick it up
    Thats the kind of **** I hate. Reminds me of people who rip off insurance companies - sure its only a drop in the ocean!

Give the router back, but don't do them any favors. They may even write it off and tell u too keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I emailed them recently asking them something and they never got back to me. So I think what I'll do is email customer support telling them about it and see if they get back to me this time!!
    If they dont then I'll have the email as proof that I told them about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

i'd wait for BT to make the first move and act on that.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I believe you're entitled to keep it if they don't ask you about it for six months [Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, I think]. Doesn't apply if they try to contact you, but you dodge them.

Perhaps a Legal Eagle here can put me right on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's not really an unsolicited good as such, though. You did ask for it, they just sent the wrong number. I'd be surprised if the unsolicited goods rules apply.

Anyway, what on earth would you want two of them for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

ethernet wrote:
    I believe you're entitled to keep it if they don't ask you about it for six months
    You can't just keep anything that arrives at your door. You have to contact them and let them know that you've received it but don't want it. It makes no difference whether it was sent on purpose or by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

ethernet wrote:
    I believe you're entitled to keep it if they don't ask you about it for six months [Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, I think]. Doesn't apply if they try to contact you, but you dodge them.

Perhaps a Legal Eagle here can put me right on this issue.

haha....now theirs a man u need when ur stuck in a crappy situation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

steve-o wrote:
    You can't just keep anything that arrives at your door.

This is classed as "common sense" and "logical".
    However these 2 rarely find themselves in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I got BB about 8 months ago and I have the two they sent out. I like to think it's compensation for them screwing me around for 3 months! It's only a back up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

giveth wrote:
    I emailed them recently asking them something and they never got back to me. So I think what I'll do is email customer support telling them about it and see if they get back to me this time!!
    If they dont then I'll have the email as proof that I told them about it...
    That'd be the best course of action, keep the auto-response aswell. I always find that you need to send the same email about three or four times before you get an actual response (you get an auto-response from each promising a resolution within 48 hours, ha!). Even then, the actual response may or may not have anything to do with the question you asked. But at least you tried.

The second one might be handy as a spare for when something goes wrong with the first. I have two of these aswell, from two seperate BT orders, and the first one gave up the ghost after two years of faithfull service. Glad I had the spare now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

I'm also a member of the multiple router club. 5 in fact, I get one when every time one of the mystery new activations appears on my account :rolleyes:

I emailed my contact and told her I would be glad to return them but would unfortunately have to charge an adminsitration fee for each returned router.

I havent heard anything......

Nh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL @ nearly happy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'm also a member of the multiple router club. 5 in fact, I get one when every time one of the mystery new activations appears on my account :rolleyes:

I emailed my contact and told her I would be glad to return them but would unfortunately have to charge an adminsitration fee for each returned router.

I havent heard anything......

Nh

Did you request direct debit details for payment of the charge? I hope you asked them for a deposit too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement