Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

NiSmO wrote: »

The way it works is it auto detects the OS you are browsing from. So if you are on a Mac it will auto direct you to the Mac specific download page. If you're on Windows, it will bring you to the Windows Installer download page etc...

Did you browse from a PC or Mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gerardjq

Hi guys im new here and this is my first post.

I am having a problem with meteor's call history on their website.
    I cannot see sms messages that I sent in the call history. I can see phone calls that I made ok.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

I would appreciate some help on this..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Hi,

since downloading version v4.1.4 Pro, I've had endless problems sending SMS. Approximately 90% of send attempts do not go through. I'm on O2, but please don't blame O2's website being down because I can log in and out without any problem each time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I know for a fact that O2online.ie was down again this morning at times as i had some issues myself. Can you enable the logs and email them on to us and we can see what is happening in your case.

To enable the logs:

- go to the directory you installed JSMS to, find the file
    "logging.properties.unused" and rename it to "logging.properties".
    - restart JSMS and try to reproduce the problem.
    - after you have done this, look in the same directory and you'll find
    a file called JSMS.log. Send that onto us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and it should tell us what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

kryan1 wrote: »
    Can this application work on the N95???? Or is there a similar app that would work on the N95??

Thanks

Kevin
    Get the mobile version of Cabbage at www.cabbagetexter.com - that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

pepperds wrote: »
    Hi,

since downloading version v4.1.4 Pro, I've had endless problems sending SMS. Approximately 90% of send attempts do not go through. I'm on O2, but please don't blame O2's website being down because I can log in and out without any problem each time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pepperds,

I'd be very much interested if you are still experiencing connectivity issues as I've done a lot of work on the HTTPS communications code and it should be much more robust, not less reliable! It is interesting that you are on O2 though, as they seem to handle cookies in a slightly non-standard fashion and there is a possibility that JSMS is having issues handling the cookies.

If you can spare the time to get us the logs as Finbarr suggested, we should be able to start looking into what might be wrong.

NiSmO wrote: »

Sorry I see what you mean now. I will update the text on the website later. That was on my todo list!

By the way, Jelly SMS Lite is now free for iPhone and iPod Touch users. Grab it while you can here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Well I know for a fact that O2online.ie was down again this morning at times as i had some issues myself. Can you enable the logs and email them on to us and we can see what is happening in your case.

To enable the logs:

- go to the directory you installed JSMS to, find the file
    "logging.properties.unused" and rename it to "logging.properties".
    - restart JSMS and try to reproduce the problem.
    - after you have done this, look in the same directory and you'll find
    a file called JSMS.log. Send that onto us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and it should tell us what's going on.

will do - thanks for your timely response

People should also note that there seems to be issues with the new release when running through a proxy. We should have a fix for this issue in the next 24 hours (probably version 4.1.5).

• Advertisement

People should also note that there seems to be issues with the new release when running through a proxy. We should have a fix for this issue in the next 24 hours (probably version 4.1.5).

This issue looks like it may be a bug in a third party library we use rather than in the JSMS code itself, so it may take us a little longer to fix.

If you are using JSMS through a HTTP proxy and are experiencing, then you are probably best to revert back to a previous version of JSMS for the time being. You'll find the installer here:
    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=196351&package_id=231995&release_id=654901

If you are not experiencing any of these issues, then just stick with the version you are currently running.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 arko19

I have downloaded the latest version of JSMS from the website and I'm trying to send texts via the command line. But I am getting a "fatal unexpected error". Heres an example of what I am entering onto the command line: java -jar JSMS.jar O2.ie username password
    Can anyone help?

arko19 wrote: »
    I have downloaded the latest version of JSMS from the website and I'm trying to send texts via the command line. But I am getting a "fatal unexpected error".

Hi arko,

I'm not overly surprised at this. I only know of two people (out of well over 1,000 people using JSMS every day) that ever made use of the command line interface and as such, we haven't been maintaining that interface for a while now.

Another related thing is that in the next release we we will be moving JSMS to run with Java 6. This will enable us to implement a lot of the feature requests that we haven't been able to get to in the past, e.g. running JSMS in the system tray. But this new functionality may come at the cost of us having to drop the command line interface anyway. This doesn't bother me as we're devoting our efforts to improving the JSMS GUI and providing tighter desktop integration, as opposed to developing it a scriptable command line tool.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear - sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 arko19

Thanks for your reply. Is there any chance you have an earlier version of JSMS (than 4.1.2)? I can't find any earlier versions on the Internet.

arko19 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Is there any chance you have an earlier version of JSMS (than 4.1.2)? I can't find any earlier versions on the Internet.

We don't maintain old versions as we don't support them and we consider them obsolete once a new release is made.

If you know the particular version that you want you can always mail me at jsmsirl@gmail.com and I can see if I can rebuild that version for you. You'd also need to let me know which OS you want an installer for.

People should also note that there seems to be issues with the new release when running through a proxy.

Hey folks,

The good news is that I have this issue fixed and we should have full proxy support working in JSMS again.

The next build will also include a number of other new features that I was already working on before this issue arose. I'll be distributing the new release to our volunteer beta testers this evening, and will make the release public as soon as we're happy everything is 100% stable.

Note that if anybody wants to volunteer as a beta tester, simply drop us an email at jsmsirl@gmail.com and let us know.

Hey Folks,

We've just released JSMS 4.1.5. This release fixes a few bugs, but it's primary purpose is to add a check for the version of Java that you use to run JSMS.

From now on, you need to use Java 6 or newer to run JSMS. If you see a warning about the version of Java that you are using, DO NOT IGNORE it, as not fixing the issue will mean that the next release of JSMS WILL NOT RUN on your PC.

So why are we doing this? And why make a release with so few features? It's simple: we have ANOTHER update already beta tested and ready for general release. This new update is jam-packed with improvements and new features. But it will NOT RUN unless you are using the correct version of Java. This is not an idle warning! If you are not using the correct version of Java, the upcoming release will simply crash without any warning why! Thus, we're now giving you an opportunity to prepare your system for the upcoming release.

Don't worry, we will be on hand to help address any issues you may encounter with this (or any other) release of JSMS. But your first port of call for help should be to check out the entry regarding Java 5/Java 6 on our blog:
    http://jsmsirl.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/jsms-5/

You should also look at our FAQ for assistance:
    http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/FAQ.html

And if after that you still need assistance, then please email us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and we will try to reply to you as soon as possible.

The JSMS dudes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I would just like to say that I've been using JSMS for a good while now, and I love it. Thanks very much for your dedication on bug squashing and improving a very handy and usefuil tool.

Nate

I would just like to say that I've been using JSMS for a good while now, and I love it. Thanks very much for your dedication on bug squashing and improving a very handy and usefuil tool.

Nate

You're very welcome!

Thanks for the positive feedback!
    :)

Hey folks,

JSMS 4.2.0 is available for download now. If you already have JSMS, then simply enable the "Automatic Update" option in the Preferences and select the "Check for Updates" option from the Help menu.

This release brings lots of cool new features, including the ability to run JSMS in the system tray, cancel a message while it is being sent, enhanced message history and many more changes. Plus any issues people have experienced running through HTTP proxies should also be resolved. Check the "Change Log" from the Help menu for a full list of changes.

Thanks for using JSMS, and please spread the word around to your friends.

Happy texting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Great! I've already updated. Everything's working great. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Hi all, I installed the app yesterdayand was able to import my contacts no problem, however when I try send a message I just get timeout every time. I updated the server as suggested in previous posts. I dont think its a service provider issue as I've been able to send texts via the Vodafone website. Any ideas? Apologies of this has been covered already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Hey lads could ye give me some help. JSMS has been working perfectly for me up until the latest update where it now won't load at all. I believe it has something to do with the latest Java but I have the latest java!!

I'm on OS X, much appreciated.

Edit: A quick reinstall has fixed it

Hi all, I installed the app yesterdayand was able to import my contacts no problem, however when I try send a message I just get timeout every time. I updated the server as suggested in previous posts. I dont think its a service provider issue as I've been able to send texts via the Vodafone website. Any ideas? Apologies of this has been covered already

Does your PC use a HTTP proxy to connect to the Internet? Previous versions of JSMS automatically picked up your proxy settings from your Internet Explorer settings. But you now need to explicitly configure the settings in the JSMS preferences.

Do you know if your PC uses a HTTP proxy or not? And don't worry, I can help you find out if you have no idea what I'm even talking about! :-)

amull87 wrote: »
    Hey lads could ye give me some help. JSMS has been working perfectly for me up until the latest update where it now won't load at all. I believe it has something to do with the latest Java but I have the latest java!!

I'm on OS X, much appreciated.

Edit: A quick reinstall has fixed it

Excellent!

For any other Mac users out there, you should note that Apple does not enable the latest version of Java by default. To set your system to use the correct version, read this post that Finbarr added to our blog (http://jsmsirl.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Thanks for all the great work!

Also (I hate to seem like I'm ragging on your work) but is there any chance you could put an option in to disable the system tray icon?

Yes, we have this option now in preferences in beta so it will be coming in the next release very soon.

Cheers!

but is there any chance you could put an option in to disable the system tray icon?
    Yes, we have this option now in preferences in beta so it will be coming in the next release very soon.

I'll PM instructions to you on how to get the beta release with this feature in it...

I set up a Twitter account where people could keep an eye (in real time) on who is trying to use a pirated version of my Jelly SMS iPhone/iPod app. I just use PHP to send an update to Twitter each time my pirate log gets updated. The account is @jellysmspirates. Another thing easily done using the Twitter API, and just to freak em out, I am auto-following the pirates if they have a Twitter account (based on the user name supplied to my app).

<snip> Please don't post that image again. - Random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I set up a Twitter account where people could keep an eye (in real time) on who is trying to use a pirated version of my Jelly SMS iPhone/iPod app. I just use PHP to send an update to Twitter each time my pirate log gets updated. The account is @jellysmspirates. Another thing easily done using the Twitter API, and just to freak em out, I am auto-following the pirates if they have a Twitter account (based on the user name supplied to my app).

Could you remove that O2 number from the screenshot above? Smudge it out, or something.

Thanks.

Advertisement