Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skype for Pocket PC

• 02-06-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey,

Is anyone using Skype on a mobile device?
    I'm really really tempted by the new xda range from o2, the built in wifi is a dream come true for me...
    I understand you can use Skype on these bad boys too, and that could well be the biggest selling point for me!
    So if anyone is using Skype on a pocket pc whats the quality like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Hey,

Is anyone using Skype on a mobile device?
    I'm really really tempted by the new xda range from o2, the built in wifi is a dream come true for me...
    I understand you can use Skype on these bad boys too, and that could well be the biggest selling point for me!

Have a look at www.modaco.com - lodsa PPC users there.. I have a smartphone, HTC Tornado, myself, and there's no official skype version for it, but you can tweak it to work even there. Otherwise there is www.woize.com and www.barablu.com for vowlan, voice of wireless lan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As good as the PC based one, for me anyway. I use headphones to stop the common echo effect (the people I call hears their own speech from my speakers, back through my microphone, up to a second later, unless I use headphones).

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

actually, if u overclock your pocket pc, ull find that lag gone.

im using the qtek 9100 - a TI OMAP supposedly at 195 mhz. ive overclocked to 240 and use skype just like i would be using a normal phone.

however, make sure u are running skype for pocket pc low cpu version (312mhz) and if u buy one with a 400mhz, by all means, use the normal skype for pocket pc....

ive been impressed with skype on pocket pc i must admit.
    i wish they had msn voice for pocket pc :|

any questions feel free to ask. ive tweaked around my qtek to get the best out of it :) so can help (qtek is like an unbranded xda pocket pc phone for people who dont know)

Spipov wrote:
    actually, if u overclock your pocket pc, ull find that lag gone.

What lag?

I've used an old iPaq (dunno specs, but it's around 3 years old), and an Axim x50v with no lag. Is it just for slower CPUs?

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

usually if there is a small lag and u use the normal pocket pc speaker, u will get the echo effect.

thats why i was saying to overclock.
    the axim x50v is so fast anyway u wont get any problem there :D

its all a question of what u want to put up with :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You know that the XDA is a phone too ;)

John

Spipov wrote:
    usually if there is a small lag and u use the normal pocket pc speaker, u will get the echo effect

Ah OK .. if I use the builtin speaker/mic on anything (PDA, PC, dual core lappie), I get that echo. Can't say I notice a lag though, but they're all decent machines, like you say.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Works fine with my HP5550 :)

Advertisement