Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Babies

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Wolff wrote:
    one final point about having green babies - all well and good but isint the really green to do - dont have any at all ? just a thought

Good point Wolff.

My neighbour was very much into environmental issues, Greenpeace, Amnesty International all through the years. She was a vegetarian and was strongly pro-choice and clashed a few times with Youth Defence and the likes of SPUC.

Yet she became pregnant a couple of years ago and had a lovely baby girl.

I thought she would have wanted an abortion. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

OH please what utter claptrap.
    Next you will be saying that killing people is the 'greenist' thing to do.
    Being pro choice does not mean you are proabortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Good point Wolff.

My neighbour was very much into environmental issues, Greenpeace, Amnesty International all through the years. She was a vegetarian and was strongly pro-choice and clashed a few times with Youth Defence and the likes of SPUC.

Yet she became pregnant a couple of years ago and had a lovely baby girl.

I thought she would have wanted an abortion. :confused::confused:
    LMAO! Are you being serious?? I mean really...can this argument get any more ridiculous??

Just because someone is pro-choice doesn't mean they don't want any children. Goodness, I thought this was common knowledge! ;)

I'm a vegetarian and strongly pro-life. *shrug* Doesn't have much to do with wanting or not wanting a family though. People have different opinions, and two you seem to have your heads stuck up your holes. :D

Anyway, no point in arguing. This thread is about Green Babies. If you don't agree with natural parenting, why bother reading this particular thread? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Going back to the slings vs pram debate, slings are fine for the first few weeks but by about 2 mths babies love to be able to look around and see what is happening in the world around them. Also they need to be able to see different peoples faces and to learn what different expressions mean. This is easier in a pram than snuggled up against a parent.

Also from a parents point of view its easier when they fall asleep in a pram to leave them to sleep in it, useful if out at a cafe, meeting friends etc, or even if you just want 5 mins to yourself to have a shower (its hard sometimes to even get that). If they fall asleep in the sling they usually wake up when you take it off and its hard to get them to settle back again. Babies also get heavy quite quickly and you don't want to strain your back.

Hope everything goes well with your pregnancy, wishing you an easy delivery and a healthy baby

Julie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Going back to the slings vs pram debate, slings are fine for the first few weeks but by about 2 mths babies love to be able to look around and see what is happening in the world around them...This is easier in a pram than snuggled up against a parent.

...If they fall asleep in the sling they usually wake up when you take it off and its hard to get them to settle back again. Babies also get heavy quite quickly and you don't want to strain your back.

Julie - You've brought up interesting points, but I'm wondering if your comments come from experience or impression? You see, all of the sling-wearing folks I've read and talked to have said that it's far easier to have children interact with the environment around them if they're up at adult eye-level (ie: in a sling/wrap). This is because babes in a sling don't have to be facing the carrier once they have head control...they can easily face outward. They can face front (ie: the same direction as the carrier) with their full head exposed, or they can be on the carrier's back and looking over their shoulder.

Also, about the falling asleep/waking up issue...this is something I've been wondering about. Do babes that are used to being carried have a harder time sleeping on their own? So I ask you, Julie, do your comments come from personal experience or what you've heard/read?

Thanks for your good wishes, and also thanks for bringing this thread back on-subject :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Hi Ayla, yes I did have a harness carrier for a while when my 2 were babies, not a sling though. I know the ones you mean with the baby facing outwards, my friend used one recently. You are right the baby can see whats going on, I was just thinking of the ones facing inwards. Personally I just found it awkward with the baby "attached to my front" and the buckles were hard to manage on your own, but I guess a back pack type one would be better although sick down the back of the neck might not be so great :(

I wasn't trying to say babies can't falll asleep on their own after being in a sling, its just that when a baby falls asleep in a pram you can leave them undisturbed to sleep on for an hour or 2 while you get things done. If the baby has fallen asleep in the sling/carrier you either have to leave it on and try and get your housework etc done with them still in it or try removing it without waking them, which is hard. Once mine had had even a few mins sleep it was near impossible to get them to go back down again if they were woken up and they were fractious from being woken early.

I used to have to take my son out of a fixed car seat as they hadn't invented ones with carry handles when he was little. Obviously I couldn't leave him unattended in the car but if he woke up whilst being moved he wouldn't go down to sleep again for love nor money. I didn't mean to imply that they won't go to sleep on their own the rest of the time, I am sure it would be just the same. I was just mentioning the disturbance factor of taking the sling/baby off.

Perhaps once your child is toddling you could consider get a decent second hand pram/buggy rather than a new one ?

My kids are into the teenage years now so I have different things to worry about, I'll leave this thread to the next generation. Glad I got it back on track for you, it had seemed to have veered off a bit

Best wishes again, Julie

Advertisement