Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Problem

Options
  • 02-06-2006 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a bit of a problem/query and I want to know if anyone has any ideas on what I could do.

Basically I joined a gym over 6 months ago. I started a new job and for the last two months have been unable to go to the gym.

I rang the gym and said that I wanted to cancel. I have a monthly standing order with them.

I rang on a Friday (few weeks ago) to cancel payment for the month of June. They said come in before 10 that night to sign a form.

I was unable to. The next day I rang again. I was told to come in that I would still be able to cancel it. So I went in straight away and a note was written that it was to cancel immediately. I signed it. I was assured that this was enough. I did not cancel standing order with the bank.

On the 31st they took the money for June. I rang and was told that I hadnt given 30 days notice (10 on Friday was apparently the cut off point-I was reassured, note and all that it would be). The girl told me that it was not her problem.

I dunno where to go from here. Any advice please or anywhere I can get advice? I earn a modest income and will not pay for something that I dont use and should be cancelled/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

YOu need to cancel the standing order with your bank, in writing. Never trust a company to stop a standing order or direct debit on its own. Get on to your bank and tell them what. Tell them you want the money refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Happened with me also (but Direct Debit)

Just drop the word 'fraud' into the converstaion with the bank and you will see their arses twitch and start taking you seriously and do everything they can for you.

I learnt my lesson and now cancel anything with signed letters to the bank and service provider.

Chorus still tried to extract money from my account despite me cancelling DD over 5 weeks in advance. Fortunately their ineptitude was predictable and the bank refused their request for my money.

Advertisement