Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

folk singer

Options
  • 02-06-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi there
    I am a folk singer based in the swords[not limited to swords!] area looking to meet up with other likeminded musicians/singers with a view to starting a folk/ballad group.
    I play guitar[very basic] but singing is my main love and my influences would be luke kelly/dubliners, fureys etc.
    Im looking forward to hearing some feedback.
    regards keith.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Oflynna

I don't know if you're still looking for musicians to hook up with but since you didn't get any replies (what a shame) I thought you might still be interested.

And I am porobably not the perfect partner either - not being Irish for a start. I'll move to Ireland in a month, arriving in Dublin at the beginning of August. I have played classical guitar for ages, my dad being a guitar teacher, I am an enthusiastic singer and have started to take professional singing classes half a year ago. And I played the oboe for five years or so, so I am fine playing simpler recorder tunes as well. But as you see, I am not much of a traditional musician.

So if you are looking forward to setting up a traditional band for gigs too soon, I might not be of much help. But I'd love get into it and have fun playing and getting together and see where we go from there.

Cheers,
    Christine

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

hi cristine
    So far your the only one who has replied so thanks for that, sounds like your quite accomplished musically! do you have much interest in irish music?
    If so i would be glad to meet up with you, looking forward to hearing from you.
    cheers keith.

Yeah, growing up as a child of my father I couldn't help becoming interested in music. I went to the conservatorium for five years, during high school but playing a classical solo instrument wasn't really my thing. That's why i started playing the oboe, because i wanted to play in an orchestra and i was told that hardly anybody played it, so after a year or so i would be able to play second oboe in our local orchestra.

I love irish music, both traditional and the more rock-influenced stuff, at the moment i am listening to the chieftaines and damien dempsey, probably my favourite musician at the moment (saw him in munich a month ago, he really rocks).

So, yeah, as I said I'll be in Dublin in 6 weeks, if you tell me how to get in contact with you, I'll do that once I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

hi christine
    damien dempsey and the chieftains thats pretty cool! you could get in contact with me when you hit dublin that would be fine and we will take it from there.
    cheers keith.

have finally arrived in dublin. if you want to have a look at the 'aussie fiddler looking for musos' thread where i have found some more people interested in playing traditional stuff, that would be great.

hope to see you there,

christine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭grymreepor

hi there
    I am a folk singer based in the swords[not limited to swords!] area looking to meet up with other likeminded musicians/singers with a view to starting a folk/ballad group.
    I play guitar[very basic] but singing is my main love and my influences would be luke kelly/dubliners, fureys etc.
    Im looking forward to hearing some feedback.
    regards keith.
    hello keith,

if you're still interested in setting up that folk /ballad group , give me a shout back.

grymreepor@gmail.com

Advertisement