Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Recon problems?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I got this today and its driving me mad.
    I installed it no problem. But when i try to play it goes all black then the blue screen pops up and i have to restart.
    Ive installed the update, stopped it being blocked by the firewall and updated my drivers. Im running a fujitsu amildo d1845 laptop 3.2ghz 1gig ram ATI 9700 mobility raedon and run half life 2, fear, doom 3 etc on highest settings without any problems.

Now i uninstalled and reinstalled then updated to 1.06 patch(the retail one) then same thing...it goes black and changes the resolution but i can still see the task bar then exits and i get the following message.
    Crash in application version: grpcrc1.06

Failed settings new video mode.

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\utils\guimenu.dsf(0)
    data\lib\utils\guimenu.dsf(0)
    and
    ati2dvag display driver cannot display etc

So i restart and it comes up about ATI driver was not found etc???
    I played Half life 2 today, said drivers were outo f date but there are no updates on ATI page and i updated on fujitsu site and half life 2 runs no problem...

Sorry for the rant but this game is bugged to bits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sorry to bump this but it just so happened i had the same sorta problem today whilst trying to get GRAW installed.

Try reinstalling it and playing it without the patch. I couldn't get it to work on my computer without the 1.06 or the 1.10 patch. When I tried it without either it worked perfectly.

The line "Crash in application version: grpcrc1.06" means its a corruption error caused by the 1.06 update. If using no patch doesn't work, try using the 1.10 patch, its worth a shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The game itself isn't really that buggy, it's just such a resource heavy game that it can easily expose any weakness in a system that may not be exposed by other games. That's not to say that it definitely is a problem with your machine not the game, but generally that's what errors like this have turned out to be.

One thing that springs immediately to mind is the 9700 mobility, I could be wrong but I don't think any mobility (or nVidia Go for that matter) chips are officially supported. I think the official line was that they may work but not to count on it. iirc for Ati cards the 9600 was the lowest supported card so a desktop 9700 should work too but the game is very SM2 intensive so if there's some difference with how the mobility chip handles SM2 that could make your chip incompatible with the game (and I think it was mentioned somewhere that it was a SM2 issue that made laptop chips not officially supported).

First thing to do, as you're obviously aware is to make sure you have the latest possible video drivers, possibly even try some of the third party ones if they support mobility. Also, just in case, update your sound card drivers and get the latest version of the ageia drivers too (even though you don't have one of their cards).

I haven't been keeping up with the community lately but when the game first came out I was looking into it's modability, and myself and one or two others came across some stuff in the XML configuration files that indicated it might be possible to configure it to work with lower end cards. Stuff like switching off the deffered lighting and some of the other shader intensive tasks. It could be worth heading over to ghostrecon.net and checking the mod and support forums to see if any progress was made on that end. Failing that, one of the patches is supposed to introduce a mode that's compatible with anti-aliasing so that may be of some benefit.

Hope you get it working, it's a sweet game.

Advertisement