Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant walk-breaks during long runs?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

I was reading
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/the-long-run-is-your-mara.shtml

and they say to take lots of walking breaks during your long runs whether you're a beginner or not. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as it seems counter-intuitive that a long run with walk breaks can be as good for you or better than doing the same distance with no walking.

Is this really the accepted wisdom? Why on earth have I been killing myself by refusing to walk at all while I've been extending my distance runs. D'oh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i read about a marathon runner, who did a 2:10 marathon who takes a 1 minute walk at every drinks station. so around every 3 miles. so it does work.

how about trying that as a tactic, run say 5 miles and then walk as you take a drink, so you wont upset your stomach and you will get some sly rest in.

I'd say build walk breaks into your running because in training i can easily (you know what i mean!) do 20 miles without having to walk, but on race day you always run faster and if you dont build in the breaks you could hit the wall big style!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Well if you plan to do this on the big day it is important to train that way, I'm doing a 100k ultral in the end of the month, run 50mins walk 10mins is the plan, so I have to constantly remind myself to stick with the plan. I also use the walk to get some food and water down my neck.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it all depends what you are aiming to do, run the whole way or walk it. Galloway is famous for advocating a walk strategy from the start, but there are plenty of other coaches who disagree, although it does seem to make it easier to finish.

I think if you are planning on doing the marathon you should try to run it all and train asuch. It's obviously a bit different for an ultra as above where everyone has a shuffly run/walk even at top speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Your right mate, If I try to keep on running my running it starts to look like a walk after four or five hours but that's just me:) I find the short walk helps me keep a desent constant pace all the way through.

Advertisement