Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Bandit 600

• 02-06-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon,

I am currently thinking of acquiring my A License and investing in a Bandit 600. As a result, and because I know little about bikes, I would like people to tell me more about this particular bike. Do you consider it a good bike? Any major bad points? Is it confortable during long journeys?

Furthermore, if any of you could point me in the direction of official/unofficial websites regarding the Bandit 600 I would really appreciate!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

The website for bandit tenhnical info...
    http://banditalley.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Theres a couple of people here with factory restricted Bandit 6's like what you'd be getting...
    www.irishbikerforum.com

And I have one and think its legend.

It's tough as nails, hard to break, won't go wrong with regular oil changes (will last for many many years if you drop the oil every 3000km or something).

They'll do 160km/h, they'll struggle to get there from 140 but they'll get there no matter how much crap you strap to the bike.

It's amazing how much crap you can strap to it and still have it maintain its balance.

I've hand mine for a year now and find that the ground clearance could do with being a little better but then I shouldn't be riding it like that on the road anyway.

Despite its weight it is amazing at low speed stuff. It is possible to do full lock turns at walking pace with no throttle, without touching the clutch and without touching the back brake the three things you learned you needed to do slow speed stuff (of course its still a good idea to use that method).

I'd recommend them. What are you riding at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

dont start on that if its you first bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thank you for these useful links saobh_ie! I'll be checking them out ASAP (very busy in work lately). I'm glad to hear you also agree with the general consensus which is "these bikes are tough/reliable"!

I am currently riding... a mountain bike! So I'll be going up a few notches with the Bandit. I am currently organising getting my A License in France which is really messy. I have to do 20 hours of riding (and do the theory again...) so I'm going to have to fly back and forth a few times.

About restriction: Is the restriction kit expensive? I will be able to ride the Bandit without it but because it is my first "real" bike (had mopeds and 125cc bikes in the past though) maybe it would be safer to have it for a while just in case... Although I don't plan on dying soon!

Ah... I wouldn't recommend the bandit as a first bike. Go for something light weight and cheap. Theres potential to hurt yourself with the bandit if you take it off the side stand wrong (highly unlikley to happen but...).

The insurance will be murderous too.

Look at 125cc bikes. Buy something (second hand) and for six months spend money on training. If your under 25 you will be insured by Aon. As soon as you can do the Aon Test thing, any of the rider training guys you get your lessons from will be able to do the desk or tell you about it.

After that you'll be able to get a signifigant discount from your insurance and then you can buy the bandit and start whizzing around the country and thinking about the goverments test.

Then when you pass that do a bit more training and go whizzing off around europe.

Although depending on your circumstances you may be able to jump right on the Bandit. I dunno. =]

Well considering I am doing the test in France (wouldn't dare getting on a bike with a provisional!) and that I am over 25, my insurance quote for the GSF600 Bandit was €400 EUR third party (€1000 fully comp). I find that cheap enough and I want to avoid spending money buying a 125cc first...
    However I am very interested in these special courses to better a rider's skills and I intend investing in that alright! Are "Aon" the only people providing this training? Or do all motoring schools provide it?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that quote is for France! You know that you'll have to ride restricted for 2 years even after passing your test?

baz8080 wrote:
    I'm guessing that quote is for France! You know that you'll have to ride restricted for 2 years even after passing your test?
    That quote was for a special insurance in France that covers french-registered cars/bikes abroad (so it's actually considered an "expensive" quote for France!). ;)

As for the restriction, I checked with the French authorities and once I am over 25 years old it is not required. If I was under 21, the restriction would have been obligatory.

Hi there,

Can anybody tell me where I can get after-market parts for the GSF600 Bandit? I really love my (future) Bandit to look as good as the one in the pic I've attached to this post!

Furthermore, I don't know the english vocabulary for the parts I'm interested in (the thingy with the lights and the plastic thingy under the engine - fairing? -) so if you could help with that also... :o

Thank you in advance! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GavinPJQuinn

My bro is selling his 98 Bandit at the moment
    Gimme a mail on texastornado35@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

My bro is selling his 98 Bandit at the moment
    Gimme a mail on texastornado35@hotmail.com

Is the bike factory restricted, Gavin?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 number41

I have a Bandit K2 600 and have the same problem in the cold weather!!

I seem to have the opposite of carb icing however :confused: My bike starts off rough and cuts out when coming to a stop for the first few miles but then seems to get better. Engine still sounds rough though and feels like its running on 3 cylinders.

Could this be a lean mixture? In the warm its absolutely fine - does the cold cause the mixture to lean out further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm alittle late coming to this discussion.

IMO the Bandit 600 is just an ordinary bike. Absolutely nothing special.

Its slow, poorly balanced and dire torque. To get it going your going to have to give it wellie, and then you'll eat chains. And its heavy on juice too.

Only good points in my opinion is the range of after market parts available to make it look good.

Mairt wrote:
    I'm alittle late coming to this discussion.

IMO the Bandit 600 is just an ordinary bike. Absolutely nothing special.

Its slow, poorly balanced and dire torque. To get it going your going to have to give it wellie, and then you'll eat chains. And its heavy on juice too.

Only good points in my opinion is the range of after market parts available to make it look good.
    Well, not everybody's got taste Mairt! We can't all be perfect... :p

number41 wrote:

I seem to have the opposite of carb icing however :confused: My bike starts off rough and cuts out when coming to a stop for the first few miles but then seems to get better. Engine still sounds rough though and feels like its running on 3 cylinders.

Could this be a lean mixture? In the warm its absolutely fine - does the cold cause the mixture to lean out further?
    Mine acts the same if I don't put a good amount a choke when it's cold. How much choke you using when it behaves like this when cold?

Well, not everybody's got taste Mairt! We can't all be perfect... :p

Nothing to do with perfection my friend.

I've been using the bandit as a work bike since 1998, along with the Honda NTV600. Before that we used Kawasaki GT550's and before that I rode Yamaha XS400 & XS500, and before that again I rode the Sanglass 500.

Best of that bunch was the kawasaki GT550.

So my friend, I speak with the benefit of a huge amount of experience riding the bandit and other bikes over the last 20+ yrs.

Like I said, that only thing the Bandit has going for it is the availability of aftermarket parts.

Btw, my own personal bikes have ranged from the early RD400's through the RD350 (including the YPVS) and the RD500. For a short while I rode an RG500 (Suzuki) too. I've also went through some GSXR750's, including a GSXR1100M and some other lesser bikes.

Oh, I'd had the usual DT175's and for awhile had great fun with a Honda 650 Dominator (brilliant fun).

Like I said, nothing to do with perfection!.

number41 wrote:

Happens to them all. We've six in work and their all the same. And our's are garaged too!.

Mairt wrote:
    Happens to them all. We've six in work and their all the same. And our's are garaged too!.
    Hmmm... Well mine doesn't do that. Ever! I just got carb icing once or twice and that was it. And my Bandit sleeps outside!

Hmmm... Well mine doesn't do that. Ever! I just got carb icing once or twice and that was it. And my Bandit sleeps outside!

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

http://isboc.proboards100.com/

Or ya could try out the lads n ladies @ http://www.biker.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Banditboy_irl! I'll probably register this evening as I am also a very proud Bandit owner! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gixerscooby

My mate is selling his bandit 600 for around 5,900 or close to it. its factory restricted so you can drive it as your first bike. 2005 with fuk all miles, dont know exact numbers. He bought it during the summer to do his test on passed his test and has'nt driven it since. PM me if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bear polar

I have a Suzuki bandit it is without doubt a realy enjoyable bike to drive however the one thing about them is the exhaust rots at the join and is about 700 to replace if Ure getting a starter bike and want to jump in head first without working ure way up and u want reliability get a Honda super four cb400 they are without doubt the best bikes ever made comfortable, reliable and respected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bear polar wrote: »
    I have a Suzuki bandit it is without doubt a realy enjoyable bike to drive however the one thing about them is the exhaust rots at the join and is about 700 to replace if Ure getting a starter bike and want to jump in head first without working ure way up and u want reliability get a Honda super four cb400 they are without doubt the best bikes ever made comfortable, reliable and respected

Is she quick getting to 88MPH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have a bandit aswell, it was the first bike i ever ride.
    I love it, at the start i had to take it easy to get used to the weight of it, but other than that i find it really comfortable and has more than enough power to stop you getting bored (for a few months anyways)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

KamiKazi wrote: »

Ha ha love it!!!! was thinking that myself, what a blast from the past.

Steffano is a mate of mine and his Bandit is long gone was wondering what was going on here when i seen the thread was started by him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KamiKazi wrote: »

He he, ye funny feck!

Advertisement