Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-the-wall games

Options
  • 02-06-2006 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Remember the Dreamcast?

Remember how excellent some of the games were for it? How come querky games like those aren't so common these days?

I'm talking about (and no, I'm not ignorant of the fact that yes, most of these games have made it onto other systems since):-

Rez
    Crazy Taxi
    Space Channel 5
    Jet Set Radio

Some of my other favorites on other systems would include;
    Animal Crossing
    Parappa The Rappa

Anyone one else anything else to add?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Katamari
    Silicon Valley
    Ico

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

grand theft auto, fifa, resident evil. (may, or may not be off the wall)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast
    Space Station Silicon Valley was superb on the N64 (oops, Kdjac mentioned it)
    Power Stone on the Dreamcast too

They're not common because they don't sell shedloads like FIFA does. Even if it is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

505 Game Street are bringing out many of the Simply 2000 Japanese games here. The likes of Space War Attack, Demolition Girl and Splatter Master are all mental (and decent games too.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'd suggest the following

NiGHTS into dreams (saturn)
    Bishi Bashi Special (ps)
    Doshin the Giant (GC)
    Harvest Moon: it's a wonderful life (GC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

I'd have to for Bangai-O.it was mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

yeah, how did i forget that, brilliant game, and the little exchanges before every boss fight were amazing.

Goemon

Walking along BIG ROBOT FIGHT ZHING HAAG DUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

KdjaC wrote:
    Silicon Valley

YES! I have this on N64. Crazy-ass game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lumines is pretty damn addictive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Freak Out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

NiGHTS into dreams (saturn)

I loved that game, even if it was a really weird idea

Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast with the maracas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Chu Chu Rocket

(great fun online)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sico wrote:
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Aye, and 'Bishi-bashi Special'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Smash TV! Or Dungeon Keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun (only released in Japan, oddly) for the Neo Geo Pocket Color is a bit "out there". It's sort of a robot virtual pet game, but you can only affect your robot blokey indirectly through his enviroment. For more information, see this:

neopoke-1.png

Do you see? Obviously nowadays the best way to enjoy this masterpiece (and it is actually good) is through an emulator running a legal back-up of your physical copy of the game.

Also only Japanese! Animal Leader for the Gamecube is all about the sex, and eating, etc, and goes for less than 20 quid on eBay. The Cube is dead easy to play imports on, too.

Even easier to play imports on! The DS is home to Ouendan, which is well known but still well worth mentioning. Japanese only, again, but that's no bother to the DS and, if anything, the impenetrable nonsesnse makes the game more enjoyably mental. It's rhythm action, and probably the most played game on my DS. I love it so much.

Even easier to play imports on! The DS is home to Ouendan, which is well known but still well worth mentioning. Japanese only, again, but that's no bother to the DS and, if again, makes the game more enjoyably mental. It's rhythm action, and probably the most played game on my DS. I love it so much.

I have that game and have actually no clue how to play it.

Keep meaning to get a instruction book in english.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Devil Dice - infuriatingly addictive :mad:
    One on PS1 whose name I can't remember, where you have to roll a beach ball around...
    Densho-Da-Go (sp??) - Japanese-only train driving simulator
    And the daddy of quirky games...Lemmings!

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

KdjaC wrote:
    I have that game and have actually no clue how to play it.

Keep meaning to get a instruction book in english.

kdjac

It's really simple. Once the music starts, after a short intro, little balls appear on the touch screen, each with a circle that gradually closes around it. When a ball's circle fits its outline perfectly, you tap it. The balls are numbered to save confusion when theere are several on-screen at once.

If there's a line extending from a ball, you have to follow the rolling beachball that appears after you tap it, without taking the stylus off the screen. If there's an arrow at the end of the line, it means the ball will go back along the line again.

Whenever a big wheel is shown on the touch screen, just spin it as fast as possible.

All this tapping is timed to fit the music, of course. There's a health bar that's always decreasing, and hitting notes correctly tops it up, whereas messing up makes it decrease faster. If you have any problems with the menus, then: http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/ouendan.txt

• Advertisement

Devil Dice - infuriatingly addictive :mad:
    One on PS1 whose name I can't remember, where you have to roll a beach ball around...
    Densho-Da-Go (sp??) - Japanese-only train driving simulator

Del

The beach ball game was Kula World.

Del

I remember buying that the day it came out after reading about it in magazines( i bought every month previous ) jesus im old. But it was worth it getting all levels done eventually :)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    I remember buying that the day it came out after reading about it in magazines( i bought every month previous ) jesus im old. But it was worth it getting all levels done eventually :)

kdjac

It came free with an Amiga 500 me and my brothers bought. Took us ages to save. The Amiga was £515!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Haha, off the wall? I just got killer 7 for my birthday. My brain is mellllltinnnnng...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Gitarooman for the PS2 and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for DS. The two best music action games on the market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gitarooman for the PS2 and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for DS. The two best music action games on the market.

Gitaroo Man is fecking brilliant.
    Someone mentioned freakout, bloody awful game.

If you want weird games you have to get yourself a Sega Saturn.
    Parodius: Forever with Me really needs to be experienced. It's a pisstake of Gradius and every other Konami game.There's also running commentry from some japanese bloke. The other parodius games are just as mental. Some of the bosses are great and include 2 giant schoolgirls and a bird that needs to be shot in the testicles.

Cho Aniki is probably the gayest game ever. It's a shmup with bad guys that are half naked men. The game also features an awful lot of 'man juice'. The first level boss is legendary, a sort of man, machine penis thing.

Can't believe Katamari Damacy hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Kula World... amazing game, required some real thought.

Oh and Kurushi on the PS1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

Incredible Crisis
    Toejam And Earl
    Wario Ware
    Donkey Kong ...that bongo thing...

I love quirky games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Cho Aniki is probably the gayest game ever.

Ah I wouldnt say that...

gameschoani.gif
    gameschoani2.gif

... Um...

...Ok. hehehheee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

marble madness - N.E.S

Advertisement