Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT to Eircom BB

• 02-06-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

A friend has a BT broadband connection for the moment. Just received a modem from Eircom because he wants to switch over. The BT broadbans is still connected, and he just sent away the switch papers today. will it still be possible to use the eircom bb already, even officially the BT broadband line is still there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's possible because it all the same broadband. The only change is the username/password and some sort of administrative at Eircoms end.
    I could log onto my old UTV BB for about 3 weeks after I changed to BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's possible because it all the same broadband. The only change is the username/password and some sort of administrative at Eircoms end.
    I could log onto my old UTV BB for about 3 weeks after I changed to BT.
    Thanks for prompt reply. So if I got the router from Eircom today, is the administration from Eircom's end already sorted out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Was the problem with BT their billing or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

flodis79 wrote:
    Thanks for prompt reply. So if I got the router from Eircom today, is the administration from Eircom's end already sorted out?
    It could be. Try loging onto Eircom BB to check. You don't even have to swap modems to check. Just change the username/password on the BT modem to the Eircom ones.
    username: eircom
    password: broadband1

zuma wrote:
    The problem with BT was that the old non-wireless modem wasn't 100 pc compatible with a Netgear wifi router. And it wasn't possible to switch the old BT router for a wifi one - something wrong with password... I don't know the full story.. Anyway, they said they couldn't give out passwords over the telephone.. Which sounds very strange. They said the Data Protection Act hindered them from doing that. I thought this was only applicable to third parties, not to the owner of the broadband connection..

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    It could be. Try loging onto Eircom BB to check. You don't even have to swap modems to check. Just change the username/password on the BT modem to the Eircom ones.
    username: eircom
    password: broadband1

K. How long does it normally take to get the Eircom BB connection setup from Eircom's end? Couple of days? Or are they normally fully setup but the time you receive the router? Experiences, pls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

zuma wrote:

You can say that again geezer,twice now they've fu**ed me around with their stupid billing system,i made a call today to them and read the riot act,they'd better refund me and sort this mess out or im going elsewhere:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

flodis79 wrote:
    The problem with BT was that the old non-wireless modem wasn't 100 pc compatible with a Netgear wifi router. And it wasn't possible to switch the old BT router for a wifi one - something wrong with password... I don't know the full story.. Anyway, they said they couldn't give out passwords over the telephone.. Which sounds very strange. They said the Data Protection Act hindered them from doing that. I thought this was only applicable to third parties, not to the owner of the broadband connection..
    ?????

You know the old saying about a fool and his money being soon parted?

Paying an extra €10 a month to eircom because you couldn't figure out how to set up a wireless router is almost funny. (The notion that "the old non-wireless modem wasn't 100 pc compatible with a Netgear wifi router" is almost funny. Ethernet is ethernet is ethernet - you really don't get much more 100% compatible than that!)

Foxwood wrote:
    ?????

You know the old saying about a fool and his money being soon parted?

Paying an extra €10 a month to eircom because you couldn't figure out how to set up a wireless router is almost funny. (The notion that "the old non-wireless modem wasn't 100 pc compatible with a Netgear wifi router" is almost funny. Ethernet is ethernet is ethernet - you really don't get much more 100% compatible than that!)

Of course it's all ethernet, yes, I was just saying that they were not working good with each other, for some reaso. And I know how to configure the BT router but they didn't want to give my friend the password for the router, I'm not sure that it needs a password or whatever, but they claimed the Data Protection Act prevents them from giving out a password, so there we are. My friend even had a computer technician over with a Belkin router to install in lieu of the old non-wireless router. They called BT and couldn't get the password either.

Don't underestimate me, I have set up many wireless systems, but BT must be something special here... The only this funny here, is that it's unbelievable the technician couldn't install the router..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

flodis79 wrote:
    Of course it's all ethernet, yes, I was just saying that they were not working good with each other, for some reaso. And I know how to configure the BT router but they didn't want to give my friend the password for the router, I'm not sure that it needs a password or whatever, but they claimed the Data Protection Act prevents them from giving out a password, so there we are. My friend even had a computer technician over with a Belkin router to install in lieu of the old non-wireless router. They called BT and couldn't get the password either.

Don't underestimate me, I have set up many wireless systems, but BT must be something special here... The only this funny here, is that it's unbelievable the technician couldn't install the router..
    There is no password on the router that BT send out. Your friend may have lost the password on the PPPoE login that BT originally gave him, (or rather, he may have forgotten the password that he assigned himself when he applied for BB) but it wouldn't take a degree in social engineering to get that replaced. (And there's probably even a standard one that he could get here - there is for eircom, and I vaguely remember reading something similiar for BT).

I certainly wouldn't fault BT for not giving passwords out over the phone - in fact, I'd be surprised if someone at BT customer support could even find out a users password.

• Advertisement
Advertisement