Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Server or Colocation hosting?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into both of these and the first year pricing is pretty much the same but after the first year hosting for the colocation goes do due to only buying a server in the first year, i was just wondering if anyone has colocation hosting and is it better or worse then dedicated server hosting, i know if a harddrive goes down then i'd have to get a new one and go to the hosting location to replace whereas with dedicated server hosting i wouldnt!

Any opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

It really depends what you intend running on the box.

If you've got to install and configure quite a bit of stuff, it might be easier to configure offsite and send the box in to the data-centre.

Buying you're own box also allows you to have it as beefy as possible, also allows RAID arrays, custom hardware configurations etc.

Some of the places that give you dedicated boxes will upgrade the hardware every 2-3 years as well to keep the machines up to date.

It's always good to have a backup box or system in place anyway for hard-drive failures / failover whether you're going for a dedicated or co-lo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What colm said.

Colocation gives you the option of doing the hardware exactly the way yuo want it, but yuo get the headaches of having to buy the box, and fix it if there is a problem.

Dedicated means the provider does the hardware as part of the service and fixes it / replaces it in the case of any issues.

A good compromise is 'managed' colocation, where you supply the server and , assuming it is a standard vendor spec (Dell, HP, IBM, Sun, etc) the provider covers it with their own SLA for a small fee.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

steve, im actually looking at yourselves, it works out about €2000 cheaper a year to run colocation then a dedicated, and with that saving a year you could setup your own load balancing and SAN if you wanted, redundency is possible aswell! If you have that much(maybe more) to spare a year, it maybe be better to do colocation??????????

Hi Ziycon,

Depends on what you are looking at. We do colocation from € 799.95 per year (for a single server) and dedicated hosting (where we also include a server) starts at € 599.95 per year.

Boards isnt really a pre-sales forum for hosting365 tho, so feel free to email me with any questions and I can go into more detail :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Pimping on a Sunday Steve you are getting very dedicated in your old age :)

• Advertisement

I pimp 24 - 7 - 365 tom :)

Advertisement