Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is an 8pin ssi connector?

Options
  • 02-06-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

The Sapphire PC-A9RD580 mobo and others use an 8pin connection. Has anyone seen this on ANY power supply? How long has it been out? Is there anyway to get a converter or does it require a new PSU?

Thanks for the help guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

it's 2x ATX12V connectors lashed together.

also, google tbh tbh tbh tbh
    If you read the manual for the pin-outs of the connector it would've given you a clue.

Bottomline: RTFM teach.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There really is no need to be so smart SyxPak. I did google it, but it returned mixed information for me. I was aware it was some sort of ATX2.0 connector, but I was unaware whether it was standard or something new. I didn't have a manual to RTFM, as my own motherboard doesn't have this socket.
    Bottom line, I asked because I was unaware of the connector, never heard of it until now. I DID google, but there seems to be different names on the said part. Some sites mentioned that it's two 12v connectors, other said it was a single 8pin connection.

I'm really terribly sorry I didn't know, and didn't posses the technical knowledge to work it out for myself. I'm also terribly sorry for asking on a forum known for it's friendly sharing of knowledge.

Grow up and don't asume I'm just some pleb who didn't RTFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have a ocz powerstream with a dual 12volt connector on it, and its about a year old. I believe its mainly used in server boards.

krazy_8s wrote:
    I have a ocz powerstream with a dual 12volt connector on it, and its about a year old. I believe its mainly used in server boards.

I'm not harping on, but not having had anything ever to do with server boards, I wouldn't have had any occasion to come across this connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

eo980 off the subject mate, peats got any Zalman 9500 leds in at the moment ?

ty bud, the old smart ass google quote ! would have expected better from a mod ! i'd help if i could......

• Advertisement

We have one or two, they are in short supply at the moment. If you want one kept for you just let me know.

What do you mean smart-arse?
    First instinct when coming across a tech term I don't know is to google for relevent terms or read the manual.
    Considering putting the make, model and acronym* into google and hitting search returned a good explanation int he first search would suggest to most people that you didn't take enough time to search.
    I apologise if I came off snippish, but I was posting just before leaving work on a friday evening and was frankly surprised that you were asking.
    The search keywords were all in your post. You typed them. You've been registered for years, which would suggest that you know how to search for things. Was it just the impending bank holiday that distracted you?
    Am I the only one who finds this funny?
    RTFM is in jest, it's a bit of ribbing. I would've thought the cheeky-grin teacher smiley would've emphasised that.

As for working with servers - that's not necessary. Just an ability to rationalise the amount of time you spend browsing techie and enterprise news sites. I work with servers every day, hardly ever need to get down in the gubbins. But I'm still interested in knowing the bits and pieces and how they fit together.
    Drapper wrote:
    ty bud, the old smart ass google quote ! would have expected better from a mod ! i'd help if i could......
    Whisht, you're just pissed you didn't get to post it first.

I had an idea, though a muddled idea of what I was looking for. As I said, some people called it A connection, other B connection. I was looking for some clarification as to what it actually was.
    Perhaps I was so so busy in work, loaded down with the work of 5 people, tons of responsibility, and maybe deadlines were involved so that I didn't have enough time to google it indepth and come to a definitive conclusion of what it was.

Why would you be surprised that I was asking? It's a Computer/Modding forum, that's what people do here. Just because I know what I'm looking for, doesn't mean I know what it is, or what it does when I've found it, or it's relevancy to a particular item.
    I've been registered for years which means I know how to search for things? That's just funny. And no the bank holiday has not distracted me at all.

I'm not being a total smart ass with you, just a little miffed that you were so cheeky when I had an honest to god question and was looking for some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

SyxPak wrote:
    What do you mean smart-arse?
    First instinct when coming across a tech term I don't know is to google for relevent terms or read the manual.
    Considering putting the make, model and acronym* into google and hitting search returned a good explanation int he first search would suggest to most people that you didn't take enough time to search.
    I apologise if I came off snippish, but I was posting just before leaving work on a friday evening and was frankly surprised that you were asking.
    The search keywords were all in your post. You typed them. You've been registered for years, which would suggest that you know how to search for things. Was it just the impending bank holiday that distracted you?
    Am I the only one who finds this funny?
    RTFM is in jest, it's a bit of ribbing. I would've thought the cheeky-grin teacher smiley would've emphasised that.

As for working with servers - that's not necessary. Just an ability to rationalise the amount of time you spend browsing techie and enterprise news sites. I work with servers every day, hardly ever need to get down in the gubbins. But I'm still interested in knowing the bits and pieces and how they fit together.

Whisht, you're just pissed you didn't get to post it first.

lol I'd rather help then be smart.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It provides more power to the CPU, you'll see alot more mobo's have 8-pin from now on. Gigabyte have adopted the 8-pin on all of there new releases for 590 SLI and the new Intel 965P mobo's.

Most modern PSU's also carry either an 8-pin or two 4-pins that can be snapped together.

• Advertisement

Fair enough so, thanks Richard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Actually, the 8-pin is also used for dual CPU boards, like two processors on one mobo. One 4-pin provides power to one CPU and the other four pins to the other.

Mobo's with dual CPU's are due soon from Intel and AMD, and each CPU is then linked through a PCI-E lane to one of two graphics cards, it's like another evolution in SLI.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Actually, the 8-pin is also used for dual CPU boards, like two processors on one mobo. One 4-pin provides power to one CPU and the other four pins to the other.

Mobo's with dual CPU's are due soon from Intel and AMD, and each CPU is then linked through a PCI-E lane to one of two graphics cards, it's like another evolution in SLI.

Are you getting that from the AMD 4x4 diagram? That doesn't sound right to me. The 8pin power is just an evolution of the ATX standard, not all motherboards yet require it, but provide the connection anyway, much like the extra 12volt P4 connector was also on alot of Athlon XP boards, but not necessary.

It's really just motherboard makers covering themselves for future CPU releases. The Enermax Liberty series has every possible current ATX connector, i'm sure other PSU's have as well (anyone care to list for fact, i.e. have them in use, and not using any adaptors)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

eo980 wrote:
    Some sites mentioned that it's two 12v connectors, other said it was a single 8pin connection.

both are actually correct, as some psu's have 1x 8pin connector, some have 2x 4pin connectors and older ones just have a 1x 4pin connector

But you can still squidge down 2x 4-pins into an 8-pin - unless they've gone and awkwardly made them pin-incompatible to force PSU upgrades...

Advertisement