Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English (comparative tips) my teacher is a total asshole

Options
  • 02-06-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

hi my teacher is an ass and always told me that my comparatives were wrong and he hated me and never showed me how to do an essay on it its impossible to me so i was wondering can anyone just sum it up for me , i know that you start with a plan and compare each text and have one main text that u start with and tie them up at the end but i dont know how to compare them and should i talk about one text at a time please just help!!!!
    i got 49% in mocks and im hoping for c3 :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

1) Introduce each text (name and author)
    2) Say briefly what you are doing (eg "I will compare and contrast my three texts under the theme or issue of violence as i feel it is present in all three texts.")
    3) Then begin your answer with a new paragraph in a structured manner MAKING SURE you compare or contrast EVERY point you make.
    4) Brief conclusion at the end that relates to the introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

whassupp2 wrote:
    1) Introduce each text (name and author)
    2) Say briefly what you are doing (eg "I will compare and contrast my three texts under the theme or issue of violence as i feel it is present in all three texts.")
    3) Then begin your answer with a new paragraph in a structured manner MAKING SURE you compare or contrast EVERY point you make.
    4) Brief conclusion at the end that relates to the introduction

Ya whassup pretty much nailed it..do it out before and learn it off for the exam......thats what im doin for poetry aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Use key words like: in contrast to, similar to etc. The exmainer WILL LOOK FOR THESE WORDS. These words will ensure you'll get good marks. If you use them then you're obviously comparing/contrasting something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

thank you so much that really narrows it down:p i keep going to write my "learn off essays" for king lear (main text ) and poetry but i keep getting distracted ok well now at least i kno where im going thanks guys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Don't bother learning off essays. It's a waste of time. Know what your going to talk about. It is less time consuming and you will have an easier time fitting it in on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

make sure to use comparative phares such as: like, similar, in contrast to, is different to ect. and you should do fine.

ps your not the worst off!!! i asked someine today wats their theme/issue and the only response i gone was a blank face, theyre f**ked for this question, and they never read one of the novels in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

yeah theres a few of them in my class too, but whats the point in it they will end up nowhere , nehow i think i will just now read everything on my comparatives and take it from there thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

can someone explain what i do in the culture context again? anyone got a link to it? i forgot what my teacher said... i know my theme/image and did well in my mocks in that part! thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

You just describe the world the character(one from each text) lives in and how it ultimately affects him or her and they way they do things.
    Do it under headings sorta like:
    power/law (patriarchal)
    values
    time frame
    social lifestyle
    men and women's roles
    religion

etc.
    etc.

For literary genre, do the same thing, look at it under certain headings like:
    1. Who tells the story?
    3rd person narrative/1st person narrative
    2. What is the sequence of events in the text?
    Chronological/flashback etc
    3.What are the endings like?
    Dramatic climatic twist.
    4.Characterisation, this is how the character is portrayed, in film this is done through things the character does, in drama, through stage directions and in literature through what a character says or what others say about them
    Film:lighting codes, camera angles, sound codes, colour codes.
    5.Symbolism and Imagery.
    Pick out things that convey ideas which would be difficult for author to say in ordinary language, i.e: View from the bridge: Alfieri is symbolic bridge between U.S law and tribal law.

For each point you make and in each text, pick out a KEY SCENE or MOMENT which backs up your point. I hope that helped.
    I got a 7 page essay doing it that way, but that's not in an exam, hopefully i'll be able to retain at least half of that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

thanks alot :D . not gonna even go near the literary genre though because our teacher focused on the other 2 and 2 out of the 3 will be coming up so ill be ready anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Don't bother doing literary Genre. It won't come up. Not a chance. Up two years in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Use key words like: in contrast to, similar to etc. The exmainer WILL LOOK FOR THESE WORDS. These words will ensure you'll get good marks. If you use them then you're obviously comparing/contrasting something!
    Also, you need to use those words 10 times at least

NADA wrote:
    Don't bother doing literary Genre. It won't come up. Not a chance. Up two years in a row.

But theme/issue came up 4 years in a row in the past. So....

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Culture and Context is the influences and values that have shaped peoples live. They do a great sample comparitive on www.skoool.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I'm just doing Theme or Issue and Lirerary Genre.. no need to do all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Jees, cud nver understand Literary Genre when doing the Leaving. Had to do Cultural Context, theme/issue was easy enough too.
    Also I agree, dont completely exclude anything (Literary Genre), anything could come up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

but then, if Lit genre doesnt come up, Theme/Issue will, which is what i want :D

so really, prepare whatever 2, and youre flyin

Advertisement