Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raising mortgage to buy out partner

Options
  • 02-06-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi All,

I have to (try) and buy out my now former girlfriend s share of our house .
    We bought it for 300 000 but now its valued 480 000 give or take.
    I am a permenant teacher, and am 33 years old.
    Has anyone been through this, i have to get a new mortgage of around 360 or more. Is there any realistic chance of this happening. i am with ulster bank, and they say on paper it dosent look good but dealing on a case to case basis, as i alreadly own half the house, and it s continued rise in value, location ect they would look at it differently.
    any thoughts, is this a no hope situtation, or might they go for it.

thanks
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u can afford the repayments over 30 years on 360000 stress tested 2%, which is circa 2 grand a month then u can afford it from a banks point of view.
    however if this is not the case, telling the bank that u will take in a lodger and rent a room, and use the rent a room scheme will improve the way a bank looks at your situation as that will bring in 3-400 a month.
    in the worst case scenario im sure u could find someone to loan u interest only for a year, and persumably u could then either renegotiate it later for another year interest only.
    if u want it u will find someone who will lend the money, then its a case of waiting for inflation/ pay increases and moving up the teaching grades to eat your mortgage. u will have to tighten your belt for a few years, good luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pdm

thanks, yes i mentioned that i would take a lodger or even 2 which did seem to help the case.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Why don't you just sell the appartment and take the equity and re-invest elsewhere? That way you have a significant lump sum.

I don't know the location of this appartment, but would think this is the ideal opportunity to purchase a house that would be more robust to financial downturn in the long run, and presumably, you don't intend remaining single for life?

Good luck anyway

Advertisement